New here.

08ses

Hi guys and girls.

I thought I'd better take the time and introduce myself. I recently had to replace my Paradigm Monitor system (do to my wife destroying it[:'(]) so I thought I would go with something different and townhouse friendly. I bought the Klipsch Quentet 2 surround system and the Sub-12.

So far I hate the Quintets for music, they do an ok job for movies and games. The Sub-12 is trully a beast, its loud, shakes the walls but the bass is not that detailed, probably because its turned up to 120 Hrz. If I turn it down to 40hrz it sound good.

Anyways I just thought I would say hello and feal free to give me any advice on my system, if you can.

Nathan

Hello, welcome to the forum. Going from a monitor system ( my brother owns paradigm ) to the quintets is quite a downsize. I don't doubt that you have quite a difference in sound. The sub 12 should blend decent up high, have you tried adjusting the distance in the receiver to the main channels? That will add a bit of delay, possibly making the blend nicer.

You can also try switching the phase 180 degrees and see which one works better. Sub position in the room also has a huge impact on the integration ( phase ) as well.

• Moderators

I'm not familiar with your Paradigm's but you have to realize that the quintet is a very basic system. In all fairness, most of the time you get what you pay for. If you are wanting something more than what they provide, you have to go up the ladder a bit. Are you looking to upgrade from them or just sharing your experience with the quintets?

I think its time to upgrade already, like I said for movies the quintets are ok but I'm used to sound that is a lot better. I think the price and the size got my attention.

I do want to stay in the book shelf size speakers I think I might look at the RB-51and RB-61 and see what they sound like, what are your thoughts on these? I have a 5 year old Yamaha receiver 100wpc x 5 so that should be ok for bookshelf speakers I think? I don't want to get an amp (if I don't need one)

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I tried the phase switch didnt notice much differeance, just a little less bass. I might have to go and listen to some new speakers soon, at least new main channels for now. I want to use bookshelfs because of size limitations and I blew my power amp as well so I would be using my receiver to power the speakers (yamaha RXV-596)

Anyways thanks for the info.

Nathan

Welcome to the forum.

For music, I think you are probably right that you'd be better pleased with something like RB-61. If you've got room for one of the floorstanders, you still might like those better. However with your sub, that helps immensely. Sounds like you may have it dialed in pretty well.

• Moderators

When I first began looking at Klipsch for my living room, I began with the RB-61's. They sound great for a bookshelf and with a sub, that will help fill in the bottom end. You might want to consider a pair of used bookshelves since you can pick them up a little cheaper and still get a great speaker. Your yamaha with 100 watts/ch will do fine without an amp. Amps help but it will push them fine. I have a 100 watt x 5 Onkyo pushing my RF-83's and the RC-7 and it will rock your socks off. I still would like to add an amp though. :)

Try this trick with your sub. Place the sub in the seat of your primary listening position. Then crawl around the room on your hands and knees to find where the most bass is produced. This is the ideal place to put your sub. It's not very sophisticated but it works.

My preference is to have my sub set to 80Hz.

Welcome to the forum!

My neighbor recently purchased a quintet/sub-10/yamaha set-up and is quite pleased. Have the channel levels/delay etc been adjusted? Also does your receiver allow different crossover settings between the center and the fronts/surrounds?

Hey Youthman,

Here is a link for a used Carver 3 channel amp in Palm City,Fl. Just responding to you mentioning that you would like to ad an amp. Don't know how much you want to spend but the price seems reasonable. The reviews on Audioreview seem favorable.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1219769209

Bill

• Moderators

That looks like a sweet amp with lots of power. Wish I could devote money for an amp but we are still in save mode as we prepare to start building our home. HT equipment will come last. Looks like that amp is in Palm Coast, not Plant City. It's about 2.5 hours away from me. But thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

I know you are saving for the house(I know all about that first hand). Just wanted to point out something that is semi-local, often times sellers are willing to be very flexible on the price when the buyer is willing to pick up so they don't have to go through the trouble of packing and shipping. That is how I bought my RF-63's. He said if he didn't have to ship he would knock another $100.00 off price($1000.00 delivered in person to my house).

Bill

When I was working nights my wife thought she would show off my stereo to friends and turned the volume up on a movie when the power was off, needless to say you can not jump into an action scene at full volume.

RIP

Adcom 545 II amp (destroyed)

Paradigm monitor 7's (fried cross-over, tweeters and woofers gone)

Monitor center channel (blown tweeter)

titan surrounds (one still works)

The only thing that made it was the sub and the receiver.

A friend just purchased a complete Klipsch home theater system but several components are on back order. She would like to get her new RF-62's and RW-12 fired up and I have a couple of questions. On the RF-62's there seem to be two sets of possible speaker connections (high and low frequency). Can I connect directly to the speakers from her Pioneer Elite receiver or do I need to use a connection involving the sub-woofer? Thanks! Deano

• Moderators

The speakers should have a metal bar connecting the two positive terminals and a metal bar connecting the two negative terminals. If the "jumpers" or bars are connected, it does not matter which you use (High or Low). The purpose for the high and low would be if you wanted to have an amplifier hooked up to the highs and lows separately. You do not need to do this however so you can come out of the receiver directly to each speaker. If your receiver has a sub out, you can go directly from the receiver to the sub line in. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask. You might want to start a new thread so we do not hijack this one.