Klipsch RB-5

listener26

I have been reading information about the Klipsch line and reading lots of reviews from current and past users/owners. I have noticed that the RB-5 model gets alot of praise. This is interesting since it does not seem to own "better specs" or features than many other models in the Klipsch line. What makes this model so different from the rest and is the new RB-5 different from the older model?

Speaking as a biased Klipsch employee, I can tell you that the RB-5 is one of our very best sounding products regardless of price. It also beats other bookshelf models at much higher prices. Very dynamic and detailed with surprisingly good bass. Many people discount the model due to its size, but it is a hot product.

The differences between original and Mk II versions are: wood finish choices, Monster Cable Z series internal wiring, additional logo on the motorboard. The MSRP of the Mk II is $850/pr. , $50 higher than the original.

Klipsch has top of the line RB-5 reference speakers for $800 list price per pair. They are often sold for less than that. These are small versions of the best that you can get from a popular brand name with high resale value. The price range makes them a good match for stereo or video receivers, or separates, in the $500 to $2000 price range, depending on quality and channels desired.

The moderate size bookshelf monitors are a practical size, super efficient at 96dB @ 1 watt/1 meter, with good frequency range of 48Hz to 20kHz and accurate within the audible range (±3dB). Although usually found in plain black wrappers, they are very sharp looking in cherry. Klipsch speakers are renown for their revealing nature and dynamic sound. Both of which are crucial for capturing the essence of music.

These speakers are a very good size for most average size rooms. They are especially good if you are planning on a HT gang surrounding the walls, since they do not take up as much floor space as others do. With these, and other speakers in this range, you not only begin to hear how good music systems can be, but you also begin to hear how unique the Klipsch sound can be.

These are two way systems. The horn handles most of the sound. The mid-range is crisp and clear. The high-end begins to sound like the real thing. Cymbals are distinct. Maybe even too bright, when compared to other more conventional tweeters. I love the bass, but Klipsch does not get enough credit for the way that high frequency musical instruments sound. Musical horns, like saxophone and clarinet sound better on horns. They have bite and edge. Guitars have rasp. Drums and pianos sound best on dynamic speakers. Few conventional style speakers are dynamic enough to make these instruments sound very enjoyable, without oodles of SS power or tube amps.

Be sure to mount speakers this size at the same level as the listening ear, preferably on very solid but separate speaker stands and get them 2 to 4 feet away from the walls.

Sensitivity of 96/dB/w/m is super-efficient. Such super efficient speakers can be mated with the delicate, but low power, of tube amps, like the Jolida integrated or the Antique Sound Lab bargain basement models. These amps can cost about the same as good video receivers. Now you can follow the path of a tweaking audiophile.

Therefore, the RB5s are good for many types of systems.

This message has been edited by Colin on 01-23-2002 at 02:08 PM

I have the RB-5IIs and love them. I use them for music & HT (with RC-3, RS-3s & KSW12 sub). I listen to music mostly. Lately I've been in a stereo mood (rather than DPL II or 5 channel stereo). The bass is surprisingly very good even without a sub. With the sub on the system rocks. There is very good detail in the instruments. Cymbals are very clear & you can also hear very good hi-hat cymbal work on some recordings. As mentioned before, they are very revealing speakers. If the recording was not very good to start with, the RB-5s will show the blemishes. Acoustic guitars sound great. The imaging is very good. I still find myself getting up to make sure my center channel speaker isn't playing when I'm listening in stereo. Last night I was listening to Iron Butterfly - In-A-Godda-Da-Vida (can't help it - I love that drum solo). The drums were panning from right to left & then panning left to right. It was fantastic sound. The cherry finish looks real good too. Even my wife was impressed with them & she's happy with a boom box. I highly recommend the RB-5.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 01-24-2002 at 09:48 PM

I feel the RB-5s (and the RB-3s) sound better than the RF models because the bass is clearer and better defined. There is some sacrifice in bass coverage, and the soundstage is different from the larger speakers (though not lacking, just different).

I own a pair of RP-3s which is an older model that is essentially a pair of RB-3s combined with a pair of 10" powered subwoofer in one enclosure per channel. They won't out slam the RF models, but overall, I find them more pleasing, with better frequency coverage, better imaging, less distortion. A pair of RB-5s and a good subwoofer and you can have something similar for about as much dough (perhaps some left over even).

here's a theory. rb-3 and a good sub like an svs 20-36

sound as good on the low bass as rf-7 w/ the same sub, & really about as good overall when you have a receiver w/ a fixed thx-ish 80hz crossover & have to set them all small anyway to avoid those nasty standing waves. Smile.gif

sorry, that's cruel. it's not klipsch's fault.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I hate to say it but I would rather have the RB5s with a set of good subs than RF7s. This may not be for overall very loud output but the RB5s seem to sound better overall mated with my home built subs than what I heard with the RF7s, especially in lower midrange articulation. Voicing is very good with just a hint of horn sound and this is very easy to cut to next to nothing. My opinion of course.

Peter Z.

I have rf3,rc3,rs3,denon1802,mirage sub. I'm thinking about getting rb3 or rb5 for my computer. I would be using the same sub and the same amp (plugged on speaker set B on the denon); my computer is just placed in the rear corner or my room. It happens that it's just in the sweet spot for my sub (opposite corner.) The rb3 sells for 670$ and rb5 (not rb5II)for 750$ so i think the 5 would be better for the difference...

------------------

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

In fact, they made me a price i could not ignore:

RB-3: 544$

RB-5: 624$

I cannot listen to the models because they don't have them in stock and that would be a special delivery (not a lot of people buy reference models...). I could just listen to sb-2 and sb-3. I saw that the sb-3 could handle more power (100W for the sb-3 vs 85W for sb-2.) The rb-3 is 100W and a lot of its caracteristics seem to be the sames (freq response, power,...) It just uses a 6.5" woofer (vs a 8" for sb3.) So with a rb-3, would the sound be different compared to sb-3?

Compared to the rb-3, is the rb-5 better defined than the rb-3, as much good or not as good? My other problem is that the rb5 would be a little tight on my computer desk (very massive comp. desk...) with only 3.5' between the speaker axis; i don't have a choice here. I know that i should have 6' at least between them but i just can't. And they will be 1' from the rear wall. So, considering all that (and not the price), should i buy rb-3 for my setup?

------------------

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Purchased a pair of RB5's last month to replace my 1987 vintage Technics 3way floor speakers along with a new yammy RXV1000. I put the RB5's on speaker stands to set about ear level just as I was told to do by the audio store personnel. I have this setup with my Klipsch SW10. WELL LET ME TELL YOU. I WAS BLOWN AWAY. I thought that I had died and went to Home Theater and Stereo heaven. Since I had also purchased a new reciver, I thought maybe the speaker difference wouldn't be much vs the Technics. So I hooked up the old speakers. BIIIIG DIFFERENCE. Klipsch was clearer, sharper more distinct. Not as muddled. Soooo, take it from a new listener, these RB5's are great.

Thanks DEANG

I have been infected with the audio bug since I was in junior high. The terminology remains the most cumbersome part of the hobby.

Very taxing trying to put what you hear into words.

10 days ago I put the Audio Quest Coral interconnect between my DAC and pre amp.

Still not sure how to describe it but it sounds real nice.

I will be getting the RB 5s soon; however, one of the threads above mentioned moving 2 to 3 feet in from wall. On other threads/reviews I was told that this was true of the RF -3s; however the RB 5s should be closer to the wall for optimal effect. The reason this is of interest to me is that in the small room I have moving in 2 to 3 feet is not an option. 6" is an option as it is in most of life.

Distance to the rear wall will impact bass and imaging. The closer (without impeding the port) to the rear wall, the more bass you'll get. Not necessarily 'better' bass, just more. Too close to the rear wall and the soundfield/imaging will collapse due to early reflections off the wall.

So, for best combination of bass and imaging, you experiment with distance to the rear wall. With the RB-5's 6" from the wall, you won't get the perfect bass contour or imaging, but this is true of any speaker. There is nothing particular about the RB-5 that makes it especially difficult to position. Almost any speaker will respond this way.

Will the RB5 play loud? I baught them, and had them for a while. The were hooked up to a piece of garbag amp, and didn't sound to good. However, even though the amp was bad, they were one of the most dynamic speakers I have ever heard.

This is very good for movies. The RF3's are louder, right? Is that cuz of they extra mid-bass driver?

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks