Chorus II vs Cornwall I (another perspective)

stormin

The Cornwall line must be one heck of some speaker! Whetting my appetite for a listen. Anything that can compare to a Chorus must be superdooper!

Keeping the exponential must be one of those don't mess with success thingys. Preserve the heritage sound.

OK!

First impression. Now the thing is I did two things not one. I know only one at a time but I had too. First in went the new crossovers courtesy of Bob Crites. Second I mounted the risers to the bottom of the speakers. I noticed that they would slide around pretty easy just sitting on the risers so I went ahead and attached.

Let me just say woah! Three layers of grunge and grain were removed. We are now talking 3D! Did I say smooth. Oh yeah these babies just got smooth. Focus comes to mind. And if you can adjust how tight and solid the bass is with a screw driver I just made 2 full turns. Very nice initial impressions. I think I am going to become a huge Heritage fan!

OB, You had it right. I wasn't expecting a dramatic change to be honest but wrong I was.

I can see it already. I'll be knee deep in tubes before this ride is over.[:D]

The reason the cornwall sounds better with classic rock is because the bass has a huge boost in it, which helps to tame the typical harshness of those recordings...

I'll buy that Doc. It is a very nice boost.

In all honesty both Chorus II's and Corwalls are very worthy of ownership!

Did you A/B them during the crossover change? (groans expecting the answer 'no')

I goofed up. But I did listen to a couple of tracks over and over just before the change and then immediately upon completion.

It was significant to say the least.

Steely Dan is a revelation.

The music is just so thick. There is alot going on from side to side and front to back.

I installed a BEC B crossover in one '76 vintage Cornwall and left the other side alone.

Played the left /right game and heard the differance immediatley. Then I let some younger ears listen and they reinforced my opinion.

Try some female vocals.... Vintage Linda Ronstadt works very well on my setup.

I need to get some of that Steely Dan stuff, having none.

Thanx for reminding me.

The reason the cornwall sounds better with classic rock is because the bass has a huge boost in it, which helps to tame the typical harshness of those recordings...

On a lot of my Classic rock,original 20-30 year old vinyl....I actually prefer to listen through my cornwalls over my klipshorns for the reasons you state....The bass is plenty on the cornwalls and the Klipschorns are so revealing that it makes a lot of the poorly recorded albums unlistenable.

It May be the ALK extreme slopes in the klipshorns that aggravates the situation....on good recordings the khorns are untouchable (well except for the half dozen or so who have Jubs) But then when i switch over to the cornwalls ...the same lp sounds great!

I'm rebuilding a 6L6GC Sansui Au-111 that I will use to drive my cornwalls ....strictly to rock out..........thinking about a Transcendent OTL for the Khorns (want to talk about poor recording sound their worst)