Pet Peeve

Youthman

• Moderators

Why is it that whenever people come over to our house, they always want to use my RF-83's as an arm rest when they are standing, a place to put their glass or a place to put their belongings? I just cringe when I see someone lean up against them. They act like they are furniture. What gives? Why is it that people do not respect other people's property? Would they dare sit on the hood of someone's brand new Mercedes Benz? I highly doubt it. Why is it different when it comes to my speakers? I know they are in the living room and the way it is setup, they are kind of in the way but give me a break...stay off of them! LOL.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i take it you have the same type of freinds i have, no interest in HT....lol

you should have broke you foot off in his/her A**. even my daughter knows not to touch "Daddy's speakers."

don't invite them back.....say you are not home....lol

• Moderators

i take it you have the same type of freinds i have, no interest in HT....lol

Nope...not at all. They love the demos but do not have a passion for music nor HT. My four children know not to run, touch or even look at my speakers. LOL.

I actually debated when I got them whether to leave them in the box until we build our house and have a dedicated theater room or to use them in the meantime. I couldn't bare the thought of keeping them locked up in those cramped boxes for over a year. I just had to rescue them and free them from their bondage. [:D]

• Moderators

Why, because they never paid for them, or appreciate them as much as you do.

So true.

Get some glass cut to fit the tops.

I have read about a few guys that have done this. Might be worth looking into.

you don't need glass tops, you need to put your foot in their A**! lol

well thats even more fustrating...if they know about speakers, and like demos, and other stuff, you would think they would know not to lean on them or use them as coffee tables....

I see more & more folks not taking care of their own stuff much less other peoples. I use linen napkins, like seen in high-end restaurants, with some type of decorative crap on top of them. Works well but cut glass would be better.

i already told the wife that since i am getting the rf-7's and my sound stage is going to be clean, NOTHING goes on top of them. up until today, my ksf's had doilies and some room freshiner thing...girl stuff. in the new house and new speakers, it's all off limits!

• Moderators

you don't need glass tops, you need to put your foot in their A**! lol

Now why would I want to get my foot dirty? [:P]

well thats even more fustrating...if they know about speakers, and like demos, and other stuff, you would think they would know not to lean on them or use them as coffee tables....

They don't know anything about speakers, they just know it sounds incredible.

Arky, I like your suggestion about putting something decorative on top of them. If there is something already taking up that space, maybe people wouldn't feel they have a place to put their elbows. :)

your right, i wouldn't want to get my shoes dirty....lol

have you asked them not to? i guess i am bold, and wouldn't have a problem saying something, i would try to not be rude, but i usually am anyway....lol

if you want something cool on them, they identical lamps....and then be able to control them by remote for movie watching....looks cool, and does the job....

• Moderators

have you asked them not to?

No...I just stare at them really hard. LOL.

Maybe I should put an electric probe on top. That way when they lean up against them, WHAM! They get the shock of their life! LOL. Ok, maybe that's cruel. I should go for a booby trap instead. [:P]

I know this sounds simple, but tell them. If they are really your friends they will respect your wishes. If that won't work steer them toward the kitchen where most gather anyway. Food and beverages usually has a way of distracting people from other things. Let them also know that if the kids can't eat and drink in the family room neither can they(you know setting an example). If all fails, put radioactive placards on each speaker.

Bill

I lean on my K-horns all the time looking out the window watching my giant sequoias grow while stroking the fine finish on the top of the K-horns. (my own finish) I also lean up against the top grille piece I designed which is built like a Sherman tank.

JJK

• Moderators

You know what would be fun to watch, go to your local feed or tack store and get one of those little electric fence transformers and wire it to a nice silver tray or metal statue on top of each speaker ! [6]

Just like with animals after a while it can be disconnected and still have the same effect when people think about touching.

You know what would work perfectly, put a nice glass bowl up there and a small sign that says " Please donate for new music and movies " they will stay clear ! [8-)]

People aren't mind readers and you can't assume they'll treat your gear the way you would. However, no-one should get offended if you just say, "Don't do that." or "Don't put anything on there, please."

If your guests are smart enough to hang out with you, they should only need to be told once.