Pet Peeve

Youthman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i take it you have the same type of freinds i have, no interest in HT....lol

Nope...not at all. They love the demos but do not have a passion for music nor HT. My four children know not to run, touch or even look at my speakers. LOL.

I actually debated when I got them whether to leave them in the box until we build our house and have a dedicated theater room or to use them in the meantime. I couldn't bare the thought of keeping them locked up in those cramped boxes for over a year. I just had to rescue them and free them from their bondage. Big Smile

Youthman,

The keep them locked up in the box....... The kids or the speakers??? LOL

Roger

• Moderators

The keep them locked up in the box....... The kids or the speakers??? LOL

LOL. I couldn't put my kids in my Klipsch boxes...they might break them.

Dtel....too funny bro! This thread has brought a huge smile to my face...lots of laughs.

Wish I could put my speakers in a corner, but room placement prevents this. As you can see below, the right speaker is close to where everyone walks into the living room from. The left speaker doesn't have too much room between it and the end table. Oh well, it's a temporary setup till we build. Just hope I can keep them in excellent condition until then.

2596174523_ed309e8169.jpg?v=0

2317380925_21754a83cf.jpg?v=0

I have a 1933 Franklin Olympic Convertible that I show occassionally. Now, I'm not one of those "look but don't touch" types & don't usually don't mind if a kid wants to step up on the running board to look inside the car.

Anyway, I was at a show awhile back and a father with two teenage sons came walking up to my car. One of the kids - probably about 13 or 14 - put a hand on the fender, leapt up, turned and planted his butt on the front fender - his father didn't say a word!

A buddy & I were standing about 15' away & we looked at each other in stunned disbelief as our jaws hit the ground. It took a few seconds for me to gather my wits about me enough yell GET THE F... off my car! The father turned & looked at us with kind of a dumb "huh" expresion on his face.

Totally clueless!

James

• Moderators

LOL. Yeah, my wife doesn't get it either. She's thinking, "It's just a speaker. What's the big deal". Bottom line is that I work hard for my toys and I take excellent care of my stuff. If something gets broke or dinged, it usually isn't because of my neglect. I want to take the very best care of them so that they will not only last me a lifetime, but will look great for a lifetime.

I used to have the same problem, friends used to come over and put their keys, wallet, etc on my RF35's. I said nothing but just immediately grabbed their stuff and put them elsewhere. They were like shocked but I had to do it.
But I have now come to the conclusion that if you cant beat them join em. so now I have a tissue box on one and PS3 controllers on the other one.
What do you do.

I have found that leaving the dead corpses of the previous people who leaned on, touched or set something on the speakers, still on the floor near the speakers usually works to fend off other offenders. Seriously I would not hesitate to tell anyone to please NOT do this to the property I value. In my opinion the speakers look their best without anything on top of them.

I think you do have your speakers in a pretty high traffic area, you will be much better off when you have the dedicated home theater room where the speakers should not be very accessible to that kind of mis-treatment.

I used to have the same problem, friends used to come over and put their keys, wallet, etc on my RF35's. I said nothing but just immediately grabbed their stuff and put them elsewhere. They were like shocked but I had to do it.
But I have now come to the conclusion that if you cant beat them join em. so now I have a tissue box on one and PS3 controllers on the other one.
What do you do.

I think for people who have the real wood veneer finish are more hurt by people putting things on it versus people with the vinyl speakers. I am trying not to make it a big deal between the speakers, but I own the rf-83 and the rsw 12. The 83 have cherry veneery and the rsw12 has a black vinyl woodlike wrap. I have to admit that the vinyl makes a very durable finish versus the veneer so I am much more careful of the 83 than the subwoofer.

With those narrow speakers the original poster has, the glass tops would likely slide off and flatten someone's toes.

Islander, I know you like to make fun of the reference series as much as possible, but do you realize that the rf-83 are just as big as the heresy. The depth is as wide as the heresy and the width is as deep as the heresy, if not bigger.

I would just get glass tops for the speakers, especially where you have them located. You might have that problem until you move into the new house. I have my speakers, RF-83, with glass tops on them. Now I don't have to worry about what I or anybody else puts on top of them. I also got glass tops for my Cornwalls and Heresy, it was about $200 for 4 pairs of glass tops. Not a bad price considering the out come if I don't have them. You will also want to get some round felt pads, 1" dia, from Home Depot to put on the glass so you will have some separation from the speaker.

James