Opinions on tactile transducers?

banasikdrummer

I currently have a 15" TC-2000 subwoofer for my surround sound, but I'm going to be moving away from the free housing my parents have graciously let me mooch off of them and into a duplex for this next year of college. With being a duplex and all, I'm a tad concerned that the neighbors might not take too kindly to the thwomping that my TC2K deliver, so I have started to consider getting a transducer (Clark Synthesis or Buttkicker) to supply the rumbling that I'm used to.

Does anyone either have a transducer or know enough about them to tell me some pros and cons of the idea? I'm looking to know how strongly I'll actually feel one of these if it's attached to my couch and just how it stacks up to a sub in general. Also, if my couch is a sectional, would I need to get two transducers in order to have one placed on each section, or is one going to provide ample vibrations to bring my movie watching criteria up to par with the TC2K?

In my experience, and by my way of thinking, the buttkicker feels more like a gimic, not sure how else to explain it. The Clark is a very different animal, it is a full range transducer, so it is always a nice smooth transition. Meaning it is doing it's thing at freq's you can't feel so as the freq drops you begin to feel it.

If you do some reasearch on them they are pretty amazing, you can attach one to a piece of plate glass, and, instant speaker!

How many you need depends on how the couch is made, if there is a common joist you could do it with one, personal I have 3 theater seats, that are together but not bolted. I went with one on each end and it carries the middle just fine.

My 1 suggestion is to feed it with an easily adjustable source, ie. seperate amp with gain. At least in my case my preamp has 2 sub outs but they don't adjust indivualy. Also I like to turn them off when listening to music. What's great for movies will annoy the heck out of you when listening to music.