MEMBERS WEEKLY RECOMMENDATIONS JULY 8 .....

oldbuckster

Got a Weather Report ; Heavy Weather CD, kinda' have mixed feelings about it, it's not bad, just a little light musically, and, to be honest, NO guitar, but I was quite taken with the Bassist. Had to hear more of him, so ..............

JACO PASTORIUS : JACO PASTORIUS ....... His first Solo album, 1976. Again, not really the type of music I like best, but well worth a listen. This guy JACO can certainly find his way up and down the neck of his Bass. The more I listen, the more I like it, a good re-mastered CD. So, I figure I'll try another Jaco disc ....................

INVITATION : JACO PASTORIUS ...... Oh Boy, did I ever mention how well Klipsch 3-way speakers reproduce Horns? There are HORNS galore on this LIVE disc, and of course, there's Jaco. I like this album alot, maybe because it's live, or maybe because every now and then Jaco lets loose with a wicked Bass Riff. There are some almost Evil moments on this disc, and it's hard to believe a man can pull the strings like that. The guy was awesome.

No way will my Classic Rock take a back seat to other forms of music, but I could be swayed Jaco's way. I would have loved to hear him play with a Rock Band. Always wondered how Jaco, Jimi, and Mitch Mitchell would have sounded ......... I can dream can't I ?

HORNS AND TUBES .................. INDEED !

Have been listening to Shawn Phillips. 'Tis from the 70's. Twelve string with a three octive voice. I guess his most accessable lp is titled Second Contribution. Each album he released, was with a different style. Favorite songs are Song for Sagitarians, Bright White, Lady in Violet, Do You Wonder, I'm An American Child (On A Nuclear Pile), Spaceman, Moonshine and many others. A good show of Shawn's voice is a song from the album Transendence, Take It Easy. Maybe he is not for everyone, but he grew on me.

Enjoy!

Gee Whiz, 4 responses, 2 titles ........... wonder why this thread gets posted every week? Lets argue about tubes vs. Solid State, or LP's vs. CD's, or DVD's vs. Blu Ray ........... would probably get more response ...... it's almost sad, must be no one listens to their systems, why have them ? Very frustrating to take time each week to recommend something to Sheriff Thebes, because he's the only regular here, very frustrating, or maybe sad is a better word ..................