Help! Win2000 Sound is terrible!

candykid

Hi, I just installed Windows 2000 professional edition on to my WinBox. I previously had WinME which i really hate! The thing now is that after installed Windows 2000 the sound that comes out of my speakers now sounds so incredibley bad, everything blurts, sounds like it's just dead, no bass, extremely distorted. Please help me i don't know what to do? My sound card is a SB live 5.1 platinum edition. I tried the new drivers from the creative labs website for my SB Live that didn't seem to work... =(

make sure you don't have any conflicts, make sure everything you're running for sound (e.g. winamp) is win2k compliant. re-install the liveware drivers from creative anyway and make sure you dl'ed the 2k ones and not the Me/98 ones by mistake. make sure you don't have any onboard audio f'ing anything up. if all else fails, try www.2cpu.com at their win2k forum. those guys know everything there is to know about win2k and conflicts.

J

Thanks for your help you guys but Janko everything is working but the sound is just bad i don't know why, i have tried everything? "SHANE" you said that your sound is awesome in WIN2K can you tell me how you did that? Also i have the installed all the drivers for it. Also I have the SB Live 5.1 not the SB live! Big difference between them in Win2K so i'm told.

Thanks.

Yeah could be the difference in drivers for the card. I'd check the newsgroups or one of the forums on some of the more PC Tech related sites. I just have the SBLive Gamer I think one of the cheap ones so I do use a different Driver than you.

Maximum PC or Ars Technica both have really good forums and people usually get beta drivers and post it on a personal site every now and then, check those out I fixed my DX8 Geforce problem with a beta driver from someone with an early release, but again its beta so it could do more harm than good.

-Shane