The Top 200 Rock Guitarists

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was as close to genius as they can come.

And JEFF BECK is chopped liver ???. Really, any list of this type is all OPINION, there really is NO ONE BEST GUITARIST, any of the YARDBIRDS could be considered the Best. Does it really matter who is best, all 200 on the list play with a band, none play just by themselves, some played with other superstars, some didn't, but they were all part of a band. It didn't hurt Paige having Robert Plant in his prime, or Bonzo on the drums, and the all purpose John Paul Jones ........ it just wasn't Jimmy Paige ......... Led Zeppelin did rule the 70's ..... Big Time ... Long Live Rock !!!!!

I know he is a relative newcomer but if you fast forward 10-15 years John Mayer would be on this list and possibly in the top 50. Not quite but possibly a reincarnation of Stevie Ray. Smooth and very controlled fingers. One with the guitar.

Bill

Jimi H was great but Page is the man,wide range of styles make it so.Beck,no he ain't chopped liver,ground breaker for Satriani,Steve etc..Satriani is the best guitar player currently,somewhat limited variety range but tech superior,a true master.

Rory Gallagher #40,not likely,one of the most talented artist ever and close to the top 10 best ever.Where was Johnny Winter? again almost top 10.

I don't get any of these lists -- what criteria are they using? If using just mastery of the instrument, then that list is really whacked. How anyone can look down that list and end up with those four at the top is laughable!

Hendrix and Clampton laughable guitarist....??? WOW!! Not deserving of being at the top, DOUBLE WOW!!

Who would you have selected to surpass these two?

I didn't say they were laughable guitarists. I said if using mastery of the instrument as top criteria, then there are some others that probably deserve those spots. So, here you need to start looking at the really technical guys like Howe, Vai, Petrucci, etc. What are we really looking for here -- greatest guitar hero or greatest rock guitarist, because I don't think they're the same thing. I never developed any real appreciation for Hendrix, just too much damn noise, and as great as Page is -- he can be anything from unbelievable to just plain terrible (sloppy) depending on what night you catch him on. And I apologize in advance, but Clapton's playing bores me to tears.

If anyone here is interested in seeing/hearing some really excellent guitar work, pick up one (or all three) of the G3 DVDs.