tpg

I'd at least keep a good two channel system. You got to have some music in your life. Forum member Jay481985 has had RF 83s in his dorm room for the last 3 years so it can be done but yes theyre not easy to move.

Another option might be to find a trusted friend to "store" your system for you on loan until you're through school but I'd keep at least a good two channel system as Oldtimer recommends. Having a trusted friend "store" it for you could be a win-win for both parties as they'd get a nice system for a couple of years and it'd be in good hands ready for you once you're through school... assuming of course that it doesn't get trashed and you remain good friends and that they can bear to part with it. Selling part of it might not be a bad idea also to help finance your education but has the downside that it may be difficult to replace some of the equipment with equipment you like as well though maybe could upgrade. And if you really love the equipment, it should be fine stored at your parents house with a little maintenance and cleaning when you visit.

In any case, best of luck with your education. I don't think one can ever go wrong with more education and following one's heart.

• Moderators

Put together a two channel system out of your favorite components, keep that and sell the rest. After all you are investing in yourself.

That would be my vote also, and yes i do remember you ! [Y]

I dunno, I had about 57 cubic feet of speakers in my college apartment... Where there's a will there's a way. [;)]

But I agree that if you do part with anything, to make sure that you keep at least a decent 2-channel system. I rarely got to listen to my system in college, but when I did, it was almost always in 2-channel....and very rejuvenating.

You know what's best for you .................. Sell it all, and start over later ............. I second guess my commitment to Home Theatre, just another fad to sink money in. ...... When given a choice a H.T. system or a 2-channel system, 2 channel will win everytime ...... most DVD movies have poor 5.1 anyway, not all, but most .................. No knocking HT, just my point of view, everyone is different ..........

I think you're getting good advice. I watch movies with a two channel system and it works fine for me. Actually sounds more like the theatre to my ears.

Keeping a decent two channel system is a good thought if you decide to part with your HT.

The decision to sell should include consideration as to realistically what can be expected to be realized from the sale. It will be significantly less than your investment.

There have been times that I thought about selling gear, then when considering the price, decided it was worth more to me to keep it than the actual market value it would sell for.

I would also agree with keeping a good 2 channel system. I might take it one step further and keep a 3 channel set up. with your list of gear that could be done. I can easily do without the surrounds and do enjoy music as well as movies with the front 3. At a later date you can always add surrounds when ready.

As far as selling the rest to invest in yourself-good for you! Most of your gear will depriciate over time but the investment in yourself grows for a life time and the values of that can effect your future generations.

Good luck.

I'd at least keep a good two channel system. You got to have some music in your life. Forum member Jay481985 has had RF 83s in his dorm room for the last 3 years so it can be done but yes theyre not easy to move.

Yes I have been keeping it in either a 10X15 room or currently for the last year and this, a 12X13 room, hardly optimal for the rf-83 and overkill outright. But I do it for the love of the music. I would recommend you keep atleast the klf30 as they are harder and harder to come by on ebay or what have you. Those are the last three ways floorstanding speakers in the non heritage class that are affordable besides the palladiums.....

Wow, if I ever have any kids and one needs to store a system like that at my house I wouldn't have to think twice about it...I don't think I'd ever let him take it back!

If it is at all possible, keep the KLF-30s and KLF-C7. Those are some awesome speakers and you will have a hard time finding another pair later on. The RF and RB speaker will be much easier to replace.

Make sure you think everything through carefully. Seller's remorse is a million times worse than buyer's remorse!!

Stick to 2 channel and save money. After I sold my massive 5.1 system, I thought life would be over. Now with a very nice 2 channel system based around Belles and tube amplification, I have never been happier with my system. It's hard to get over the surround sound hype, particularly for watching movies on a 92 inch screen as I like to do. But as others have pointed out, few movies do justice to 5.1 anyway - and frankly I got sick of the extra wires and complexity 5.1 requires for so little gain...

Ahhhh...just get your self a nice Bose wave radio "I can't believe all that sound came out of that little box"[6][6][6][6][6]

If it's a matter of needing the finances to get through school...sell everything but a 2 channel systyem and don't look back, but if your not that tight on money why not set it up in your parent's house for awhile.....when your done with school you'll have to pay double to get back the same used set-up....

I have rarely used it since I've been home, so I can't help but feel as though it is just a money pit, sitting here unused. Since I am not currently in dire need of money (yay, graduate assistantship!), I guess it wouldn't hurt to hold off selling everything for a little while longer to get a feel for the coming life changes...

Your system's not really a money pit, like a horse that needs to be fed whether it's working or not. It's an asset that you're not using much at the moment. If it's not depreciating, it's not costing you anything, and it could be expensive to replace later. How's that for rationalizing?

Just as it makes sense to keep driving a paid for car. There is a concept called "sunk costs." Once the money is in it won't come out. The longer you use the sunk cost asset, the lower the average yearly cost becomes. Basically I like to call it "bpd," or buzz per dollar.