Yamaha

vandec54

Hello All, I am close to purchasing a Yamaha DVD-S661, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558371&CTID=5001800

Good Choice or Bad Choice? I like to shop locally at American Tv and they have it listed for 179. I can get it from ebay and amazon for low 120's. Would you rather do business with amazon or ebay sellers? Thank you

Honestly, if you're looking for a DVD player I'd recommend getting an HD-DVD player. You can find tons of new ones at that price or less. They play all standard DVDs and generally have much better upconverting than a standard DVD player does.

I've not heard much about Yamahas dvd players, which leads me to believe they aren't all that great. Check out Samsung, Toshiba, Oppo, Sony.

I'm a fan of Yamaha(I own one of their receivers) but if their dvd player was very good there would be a lot more info on it from the forums(as always this is just my opinion). Oppo has one of the best upconverting players I've ever seen, but you could do what was stated earlier and find an HD-DVD player for less money and it does a great job.

Wait a minute guys, HD-DVD is dead, or do you mean Blu-Ray ? ........... Oppo is worth a look ....... I have standard DVD, that's good enough for my needs, cheaper too ............ The market changes so fast, be careful what you buy, here today, gone tomorrow. Makes me laugh all the Toshiba HD's that wally world had on sale before Christmas, are now flooding Craigslist for real cheap ...........

I read a thread on DVD players several weeks ago, and I am still left with some questions. What SD-DVD player with 1080p upconversion would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend the money on Blu-Ray and dont really want to go the HD-DVD route.

Wait a minute guys, HD-DVD is dead, or do you mean Blu-Ray ? ........... Oppo is worth a look ....... I have standard DVD, that's good enough for my needs, cheaper too ............ The market changes so fast, be careful what you buy, here today, gone tomorrow. Makes me laugh all the Toshiba HD's that wally world had on sale before Christmas, are now flooding Craigslist for real cheap ...........

oldbuck, what I was saying is that an HD-DVD player plays ALL standard DVDs and they have a darn good upconverting processor in them as well, much better than almost any DVD player in the price range you're looking. The fact that HD-DVD is a dead format is a moot point, you can buy an HD-DVD player and never play an HD-DVD in it.

As far as audio quality, it all depends on how you're hooking it up. If you're using any digital output from a DVD or HD-DVD player it won't matter because your receiver/pre-amp will be doing the D/A converting. Its pretty much only when you're using the analog outs that you'll want to look at sound quality.

So what you are saying is that standard dvd's are upconverted to better video status with an hd-dvd player? otherwise why would you want one? I am in the dark on this, so please elaborate. (more of an audio guy than video, wife is more video than audio).

So what you are saying is that standard dvd's are upconverted to better video status with an hd-dvd player? otherwise why would you want one? I am in the dark on this, so please elaborate. (more of an audio guy than video, wife is more video than audio).

Exactly. The chipsets that are in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players are typically of a much higher quality than in a standard upconverting DVD player. There are many, many people who are buying up HD-DVD players on the cheap and are using them only for standard DVDs. When I did a side-by-side comparison between the Oppo DV-980 that I had and the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, the Oppo went for sale that night.

I second the motion. My Toshiba HD-A30 upconverts SD's as well or better than most BD players and definitely better than most of the SD players out there. For 75 to 125 dollars you can't beat it. An OK upconverting SD player will run you 75 to 125 dollars. By the way, it plays HD-DVD's. Dead format maybe, but the disks can still be bought online for 8 to 15 dollars.

Bill

My local electronics store (ABT Electronics) no longer carries HD-DVD. Anyone have a rec for an upconverting player? I am getting my new Panny plasma tv there and wanted to get the DVD player there as well.

Makes me laugh all the Toshiba HD's that wally world had on sale before Christmas, are now flooding Craigslist for real cheap ...........

I wouldn't buy one, but like I wrote, check craigslist for Toshiba HD-DVD's selling for $35. to $75. around here. Me, I like SONY, but my opinion on Home Theatre has changed, and HT has taken a back seat to my 2 channel set-up ........... Home Theatre, to me, I speak for no one else, is like a new toy, you play with it for awhile, then it grows old ................ just my opinion .............

I also did a side by side comparison of an Oppo 971 and Toshiba hd-d2. They were about the same in quality to me for video but the toshiba was cheaper. My only question now would be how long will Toshiba support that product? I'm afraid it won't be long. At this point I'd probably go with the Oppo.