Possible Good News for those with Tinnitus

Thanks, Kaiser! In tinnitus and all inner-ear conditions, things hopeful are ALWAYS too good to be true! But, speaking of Hopeful, maybe I should get an appointment there around the next Hope Pilgrimage.

I wonder if there are any possible parallels between their work and the absolutely fascinating article in this week's New Yorker mag -- http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/30/080630fa_fact_gawande/:

Annals of Medicine

The Itch

Its mysterious power may be a clue to a new theory about brains and bodies.

The article reviews some wild stuff about dealing with phantom limb pain and feelings, i.e., thinking there is pain and movement in amputated limbs and other wierd stuff, by retraining the brain. Phantom limb wierdness could be dealt with by using mirrors to direct the brain into thinking it was seeing the vanished limb when looking only at the reflection of the other limb, etc. etc. My tinnitus is strong in my DEAF ear -- how can that be? And, it is immediately made worse by loud sounds not only in that ear but in my good one! So ----

But, speaking of Hopeful, maybe I should get an appointment there around the next Hope Pilgrimage.

I say we get them to put on a seminar at the Klipsch factory! I'm in on that one, for sure. Perhaps Bob and Michael Crites can take notes and eventually offer therir own versions. I mean, parts is parts...

BTW, the photographer for that article has a funny sense of humor...

I say we get them to put on a seminar at the Klipsch factory! I'm in on that one, for sure. Perhaps Bob and Michael Crites can take notes and eventually offer therir own versions. I mean, parts is parts...

The Klipsch factory in Hope is, in my opinion, terrible about protecting their workers' hearing! I mentioned it once, but didn't sense there would be any action. Maybe they're afraid of opening legal cans of worms.

I remember an incredibly loud squealing ventilation fan when we visited the Hope factory 2-3 years ago. I wore ear plugs, and it was still too much. I'm afraid some of those employees are going to end up with permanent tinnitus and maybe an occasional Meniere's. It ain't worth it to not require ear protection, and I personally think KAT should be embarrassed and a little ashamed!!!