Zone 2 with Amp and RF-63's

willland

I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 with zone 2 connections. I want to use the zone 2 rca connections and connect to my amp and then to the other binding posts on the RF-63's. With the jumpers in place, is it possible(recommended) to have both sets of posts connected at the same time and switch from zone 1 (5.1) to zone 2 (2-channel only)? I want to use the amp for 2-channel only. When I tried this configuration once and switched to zone 2, I think it looped back and the receiver went into protection mode(switched off). Is this a crazy thing to do? If so please suggest an alternative.

Thanks,

Bill

I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 with zone 2 connections. I want to use the zone 2 rca connections and connect to my amp and then to the other binding posts on the RF-63's. With the jumpers in place, is it possible(recommended) to have both sets of posts connected at the same time and switch from zone 1 (5.1) to zone 2 (2-channel only)? I want to use the amp for 2-channel only. When I tried this configuration once and switched to zone 2, I think it looped back and the receiver went into protection mode(switched off). Is this a crazy thing to do? If so please suggest an alternative.

You have to get an amp switcher. You can't hook two amplifiers up to one set of speakers without the results that you experienced.

You're using an outboard amp along with your Onkyo, right? A better solution would be to run the main Left and Right pre-amp outputs to your outboard amp and then hook up your RF-63s to the amp. Then you can always have them running through the outboard amp and you can change on your Onkyo whether you want to listen in stereo only or in multi-channel.

Thanks for the advice. Truthfully my main concern is a curious 4 year old, and my wife possibly forgetting to turn the receiver on first and amp second and vice-versa when powering down. I want the amp on only with 2 channel stereo(with me accessing this mode only).

Bill