Zone 2 with Amp and RF-63's

willland

I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 with zone 2 connections. I want to use the zone 2 rca connections and connect to my amp and then to the other binding posts on the RF-63's. With the jumpers in place, is it possible(recommended) to have both sets of posts connected at the same time and switch from zone 1 (5.1) to zone 2 (2-channel only)? I want to use the amp for 2-channel only. When I tried this configuration once and switched to zone 2, I think it looped back and the receiver went into protection mode(switched off). Is this a crazy thing to do? If so please suggest an alternative.

Thanks,

Bill

This post is on Tech forum also. More exposure.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. I have a pair of RF-63's that are connected as 5.1 through the receiver only and 2 channel with the external amp connected to the receivers' zone 2 rca connections and the 63's other set of binding posts. In ther words, 5.1 w/receiver and 63's, and 2 channel w/receiver(zone 2) through amp to same 63's.

Bill

You cant do that!!! If i under stand you you will fry every thing....

the zone two is meant for a separate pair of speakers in another room...it would be like hooking up two separate amps to one pair of speakers directly...there is nothing to keep the current from flowing and overloading one or both amps....

you should just simply switch your receiver to "2 channel mode" or if you want to use the out put of zone 2 into the same speakers you will need to wire the RCA outs from left and right front from the main zone ...as well as the RCA outs of zone two into a A/B switch box ......and from there in to your speakers

****edit just reread...if you are going zone two from your receiver into a separate 2 channel amp....you cant do that either....Zone two is not the same as preamp out....if you have preamp out you can hook those to your 2 channel amp, but you will still need a switch box with a nuetral center or the current will flow and short everything out.

bi-amping is a whole diff story

Has the smoke cleared yet? Not sure exactly what the final attempt was going to look like, but the key message above is that you do not want to have one pair of speakers hooked to 2 amps at the same time (at least not if the binding posts are connected together). You want to have an A/B amp selector in place to keep the circuits separate from each other.