more bose bashing

jdm56

I know we've been hammering Amar pretty hard lately, but I just saw the Bose "infomercial" for the acoustic wave music system on late-nite tv, and was wondering if everybody else has already seen it, and what they thought of it.

I thought it was deceptive at least, bordering on blatantly misleading. My opinion of Herbie Hancock has just gone down considerably. Maybe he just needed the money, but I doubt it.

All the good folks earnest testimonials were kind of laughably nauseating, if that's possible. One old geezer (anyone 20 years older than mecwm32.gif), said, with apparent sincerity that, "it's the best sounding music I've ever heard." Geez, musta been the first music he's ever heard, too.

Many were the proclamations that it sounded just like real music, or a concert hall, yadayadayada...and similar crap like that.

I especially enjoyed the part where they are saying how simple and easy it is to set-up and use compared to a component system, at which point they show a picture of what I guess is supposed to be the back of a typical component set-up; you have never seen such a tangle of wires in your life as what they had arranged back there! (Well, sure, the back of my stereo may look like that, but...)

Oh well, guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all Bose is mainly about makin' money, not music. And they've learned that the way to make the most money is by selling a modern version of snake oil.

------------------

JDMcCall

LOL.

I to saw that a long time ago, and ment to post something but forgot about it.

How can you show the performance of an audio system on TV??? I remember at one point when they showed the, "highest note" on a violin or something. Said that with the wave radio you can here it! Well my TV had no trouble.

Anyways, it was SOO cheep. I have seen better vacume infomercial's on local TV.

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

Yes that infomercial has been shown for several years. I can't believe a musician the caliber of Herbie Hancock can make the statements he did with a straight face. I'd love to see the Bose Bloopers. The one part I liked was"This is what a regular stereo sounds like"--picture Herbie tinkering on a TOY piano(seriously a child's $20 Walmart piano)--"Now this is what Bose sounds like"--now he walks over to his $30,000 Steinway and starts playing. Hilarious. I found myself getting hopelessly frustrated though and I have to turn it off each time before it's over. They kept harping about "Who wants big ole speakers(ME!) when you can get better...blah blah blah..from the patented Acoustimas system". Klipsch should have an infomercial with someone saying "This is what Bose sounds like--at this point a big greasy sphincter should be shown opening up and letting out a horrific fart--"Now this is what Klipsch sounds like--extreme close-up of some thumping Klipsch woofers moving some serious air". That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Paul Harvey has also been endorsing the product for some time now.

He wants to send me one but will buy it back if I don't like it!

I appreciate the testimonials from people "all over the country" who feel the need to tell me how they get "concert sound" throughout their home.

"Why have a huge stereo system taking up all that space when the Bose Wave Radio sounds so much better!"

Yes...I simply must have one.

------------------

deanG

One small speaker radio that i do like the sound of is the Tivoli made exclusively for the Tweeter Home Entertainment Group by Henry Kloss

pM1CLA75k.jpg

This costs only $99 and it sounds pretty good, for its size especially. They make a 2.1 system and it is ~$300. Anyone heard one of these? They are quite impressive to me... ofcourse I don't consider myself an audiophile so take anything I recommend with a grain of salt...

I did too see that infomercial. What is worse is that in 7th grade we watched a movie in Physical Science about soundwaves. There was an approx 20 minute special on how BOSE has transformed sound using tubes. It was basically 20 minutes of propagnada that gave demonstrations of how they build the speakers, putting in i think 20 feet of PVC pipe in to a radio to do whatever BS they were saying it did... Unfortunately I was too young to realize that BOSE was just brain washing us, and convinced my mom that we should get my dad a BOSE Wave radio for his birthday to put in his office... one of the biggest wastes of $400....

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

quote:

Originally posted by dndphishin:

"No highs, no lows, it must be Bose"

True.

i think that that one actually came from a BOSE higher up! he was sitting in a test room with two different speaker systems and was asked to determine which was BOSE and which was something else... he said, well that must be BOSE because it has not highs and no lows... this is probably just a rumor but sounds good to me Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Over Priced, Not too good with highs, not to good

with bass, did i say over priced? All in all there

ok but for the price of there systems like say

the acoustimass 15 setup. Its $1500 a Quintet

micro setup for way less will put it to shame

by far.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

quote:

Originally posted by JTS8:

I'd agree with the Bose of the 90's but I'm always on the lookout for a set of 10.2's from the mid 80's

somethings you just gotta have

no justification

The only set of 10's from the eighties that I remember were attached to Bo Derek.

------------------

JDMcCall

"...at which point they show a picture of what I guess is supposed to be the back of a typical component set-up; you have never seen such a tangle of wires in your life as what they had arranged back there!"- Hey c'mon over and look at my setup! I think they might have snuck into my house for the pictures! I like the part about stuffing 500 miles of transmission line in that tiny box. Probally tuned to around 500hz! Anyone ever hear of the Blose Acoustic Cannon? It was a failed pro sub they came out with in the eighties- ICK!

HEY WHATS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT BLOSE!

I have the big wave radio cd play a dam fine painting bombox it makes.Its real load so I can here it over the sanders while working (I ware ear plugs).

Got mine cheap on ebay.

Funny thing is evreone that see me using it as a paint radio think I am nuts use such a exspensive radio.

Well its cheaper than straping a tube amp to a Hersay for a portable tunes.