Audiogon is pretty darn cool...

Some newbies may not know of it but I think most of us old timers have got a deal or two that was a great value from Audiogon with less risk than E Bay. I thought we could take a look and not recommend per se but illuminate a potential deal.

Here is my interesting analog deal. REGA P25 TT with RB 600 arm (maybe $ 350 -400) and Incognito rewire ( I think the rewire is well over $ 200) for $ 800

I have auditioned one before for several hours with standard RB-300 and Grado Sonata. Effortlessly musical, very stylish and superb build quality.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1219434122

Audiogon is where I found my Cornwalls .......... Different class of people, Craigslist is good, but too many LURKERS, and tire kickers, Audiogon seems that the people are more into the hobby, and are serious about it, and know what they are talking about. I look there alot for ideas, and what are average prices ...............

I've also had good luck on Audiogon, although I did have one bad experience. I purchased an old Audio Research SP4 Preamp from a gentleman who had stellar feedback. When I received it, it was not as described. There was orange paint (?) on the power cord, the faceplate corners were a bit mishapen, scratches all around (especially on the back where someone had replaced two pair of input jacks, you know, the wrench swirlys). I figured, OK so it's in rough shape cosmetically, I can get over that. Then I plugged it in. The Volume pot was very dirty, and exercising the wiper didn't do the trick. Dissapointing. Then I changed the input selector switch. Holy Crap! No damage to the speakers, but that was it, I pulled the plug (so to speak). I then popped the cover...holy hell. Someone had been playin, etches broken and badly repaired, tented components, a general mess. When I called the gentleman, his son spoke with me and said his father's been in the hospital, etc. Long story slightly shorter, the preamp ended up in the trash, and my wallet was a bit lighter for it. Unfortunately Paypal doesn't provide much protection for non-ebay items, only if the item doesn't arrive. If I had payed via credit card, I could've made a claim. Live and learn.

I would agree that there seems to be a better class of people but I have had one not so good deal and one go bad...audioGon did nothing to help settle the problem except for finally removing the guy from their site after repeated email...course he probably rejoined under another name...good luck, caveat emptor...the Klipsch Forum spoiled me with good people...[;)]

Bill

I have purchased or sold the following on Audiogon.

Belles and Isobaric Walnut Sub. Bought perfect transaction.

Canary Audio CA-300 SET Bought perfect transaction. Sold later on Agon. Wish I hadn't.

EAD CD Player Bought DOA but seller eventually got my money back to me after going through audiogon for resolution.

George Wright WLA12A Preamp with extra tubes. Bought perfect transaction. Sold later on agon.

Cambridge Audio 640C Bought perfect transaction

NAD PP2 Phono pre Bought perfect transaction. Sold later on agon.

Fisher SA-16 Tube Amp. Sold on agon.

Fisher Coronet Preamp Sold on agon.

MMF 2.1 Turntable. Sold later on agon.

Onix SP3 Integrated Tube Amp perfect transaction.

I am sure I am forgetting a piece or two but I have had great luck on audiogon. The site makes me feel safer than on Ebay especially after dealing with their problem resolution system. Audiogon rocks!!!!!!

I bought my SVS sub through Audiogon (happened to be within an hour's drive), two Cambridge Audio CD players and my Rotel amp. I have since sold everything but the SVS but only due to changes/upgrades. I check Audiogon as much as I check eBay.

I love Audiogon. I've done a good bit of buying and selling on both Audiogon and eBay, but I much prefer the people on A'gon. Same caution should be taken on both sites, and I always get a photo first before buying, and ask questions. If somebody takes three days to get back to me with misinformation, then I move on. Audiogon is great for many things audio, but somethings still only turn up on eBay. There really isn't a market for vintage Japanese gear on Audiogon, too much snobbery I suppose. Vintage McIntosh used to sell cheaper on Audiogon than eBay, but that has changed recently too. Audiogon will have Klipsch speakers undervalued from time to time, usually a local pick up arrangement, but good deals if you happen to be local. Audiogon has been slower than usual, and with some lower prices due to the struggling economy. Time to get those $10k cables for only $4k!

Since the inception of Klipsch Garage Sale A-goN has become my second used gear site of choice;-) Great advice from HiFi jim above and should apply to whoever you deal with[;)]

I have 24 transactions on A-goN since becoming a member and all have been excellent. If they have 100% positive on 20 plus transactions you should feel safe and confident[Y]

I'm going to step out on a limb here, but the deal I offered here first before listing on Agon is much better bang for the buck. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/106702.aspx

After putting it on ebay, had a bidding war for the first few hours and sold it the same day. 

That was an awesome deal!!! Surprised no one grabbed it.....

I've offered on this forum before, but if know one needs it ...??? I was glad on some of my gear that went to Ebay, got almost double what I asked for it here, but I'd rather make a good offer to my Klipsch brethren if it's something thats needed......

Found a year and a half old pair of cherry RF-63's on Audiogon for $1100.00. E-mailed seller and realized he lived 10 miles down the road. He offered for me to come by and demo them. Bought them for $1000.00 and he delivered them to my house. I am 1 for 1 on Audiogon and couldn't be happier.

Bill

I'm going to step out on a limb here, but the deal I offered here first before listing on Agon is much better bang for the buck. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/106702.aspx

After putting it on ebay, had a bidding war for the first few hours and sold it the same day.

That was an awesome deal!!! Surprised no one grabbed it.....

I've offered on this forum before, but if know one needs it ...??? I was glad on some of my gear that went to Ebay, got almost double what I asked for it here, but I'd rather make a good offer to my Klipsch brethren if it's something thats needed......

I was a little but summer is a tough time to sell and this forum as much as we call it home is a smaller audience than A gon or E BAY.