Best imaging I've ever heard? (Thanks Roger!)

Coytee

So the K-43s make that much difference?

Not in imaging, but in lower midrange upper bass definition, as the woofer is more efficient by a db or two above 150 Hz.. The K-33 is a better choice for LaScalas with no subs, the K-43 is better when using subs with LaScalas. I have curves, but it's still the opinion of my ears and program material.

I'm extremely happy with my bigger horn/better horn setup and I'm going further in this direction.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my powered center channel I do not have to angle anything, measure anything, or sit in the sweet spot with a safety belt. I can walk around to any point in the room and hear everything from the proper direction. Yes it is a "forced scenario" and there are acoustic anomolies in the non-acoustically modified ordinary living room. I have had great confidence since 1965 in what PWK and Bell Labs have recommended.

JJK

I'm glad there were more of us than I thought!!

Here is a shot of Michael Hurd's homemade "MONSTER" that Roger refers to above. It's a beauty, eh?

That picture does not do quite justice for michael hurds minibeast, I do not quite know how the camera made it small but by no means was it small as Mike had to remove the door to get it out of the car!

Also the paint job was phenomonal, it is hard for any camera to catch the metalic and pearl effect that mike made in his custom blended paint. Once the light hits it there is a dazzle of color.

Here is a shot of Michael Hurd's homemade "MONSTER" that Roger refers to above. It's a beauty, eh?

What you don't see is the 3rd passive radiator in the box, so there are 3 18" cones pumping air, including the active one in Picky's shot. Just think, Hurd has one twice this size with 2 active 18's an even more passives (I think). I was in the room during the plane crash, you'd swear you were in the crashing plane when this thing shook the entire house!!

So the K-43s make that much difference?

Not in imaging, but in lower midrange upper bass definition, as the woofer is more efficient by a db or two above 150 Hz.. The K-33 is a better choice for LaScalas with no subs, the K-43 is better when using subs with LaScalas. I have curves, but it's still the opinion of my ears and program material.

I'm extremely happy with my bigger horn/better horn setup and I'm going further in this direction.

That makes sense, but I suspect that my K-33s may be performing better than most, since they're getting an EQ'd signal out of the Dx38 with Roy's settings, so their peaks and dips are under better control than usual.

When I added the Dx, the sound was very noticeably clearer and smoother, on both the bass and the mid-range, and all the way up.

If this is the best youv'e heard then you should listen to a pair of B&W speakers

I have, and they are very nice indeed, but I MUCH prefer the dynamics of horns. The Chesky drum recording tears apart Limey speakers, but then again, I'm am partial to huge horns with 15's, 12's, and soon to be 2" throat drivers...................all with milliwatts of good, cheap power.

That makes sense, but I suspect that my K-33s may be performing better than most, since they're getting an EQ'd signal out of the Dx38 with Roy's settings, so their peaks and dips are under better control than usual.

When I added the Dx, the sound was very noticeably clearer and smoother, on both the bass and the mid-range, and all the way up.

Yep, I agree with using a GOOD Linkwitz-Riley Xover with time delay corrections and PEQ, espcially on LaScalas in my room with those camel hump peaks that need taming. Looks like you did it right!!

In my case, I decided not to try and use a short (2.75 feet) horn to do low bass, but to use twin 6-foot MWMS's stacked up. Bass is not a problem in my place and I only use 2 Watt PEAKS for music and 10-20W peaks for movies cranked up. This is BEFORE I turn on another big amp for my VMPS subs.

It's and "incremental process" for me, but I do like your approach as well. All Klipsch, all good.

If this is the best youv'e heard then you should listen to a pair of B&W speakers

I have, and they are very nice indeed, but I MUCH prefer the dynamics of horns. The Chesky drum recording tears apart Limey speakers, but then again, I'm am partial to huge horns with 15's, 12's, and soon to be 2" throat drivers...................all with milliwatts of good, cheap power.

Then there's always our friend, bpd (buzz per dollar).

With La Scala's, they are fast and very efficient. So you need a fast woofer... (Hard to explain in "fundamental" terms here...LOL.)

Michaels sub was great.

But usually it is my opinion that some brands of 18" subs are very much in fact slow.....to keep up dynamically with Scala's. I will not mention them here...but you know what I am trying to say. The key is to not go oh wow.. the subs are just incredible.. overpowering the room... but to blend so well with the front system speakers, the WHOLE WALL just explodes out to you. heheheheheheeh

It's an experience... Trust me!

Ironically, just a couple weeks ago I did give a 30 minute audition to a pair of B&W's next to a pair of Klipsch. I'll add that this was at the pilgrimage and was a blind "A/B" test (not an A/B/X test)

When asked to describe the pros/cons of each speaker (which was hidden behind a screen), I ended up describing what turned out to be the Klipsch speaker as "the music is out in the room with me" and when I was describing the other (which unknown to me, happened to be a B&W) I said the other pair sounded like music at a Doctors office waiting room.

I wasn't intending to slam it nor did I know WHAT brand I was describing but that was my honest assessment.

Like has been said...if you've got them & love them then that's great! I myself will prefer to settle with the band/music out in the room with me rather than to listening to (fine sounding) Dr's office music.

Note, I've never said the other brand (B&W's) sounded BAD in any way. Just veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy reserved for my tastes.

[8]

I did the same A/B test and knew without a doubt one was B&W and one was Klipsch, hell I even told which models with the screen. I heard many B&W before and they never did much.

ok, I like more of a dark but not muddy sound

The above poster claims to have previously owned Reference and Polk speakers yet he just registered in the Klipsch forum today for the first time.

And his first three posts laud B & W speakers while bashing others' choices.

Hmmmm.....I smell a troll. Amy better keep an eye on this one.....

Carl.

BTW, incredible set up Roger. I look forward to hearing/seeing it someday........

That picture does not do quite justice for michael hurds minibeast, I do not quite know how the camera made it small but by no means was it small as Mike had to remove the door to get it out of the car!

Sorry, Jay. I think it's the fact that Roger's room is so large that I was sitting a good distance back from the sub and with all that flat black, viewers have no point of reference with with to just the sub's enormity. Believe me: It is huge! Maybe this shot shows that better?

post-10177-1381939352731_thumb.jpg