Mounting center speaker under mantel?

superedge88

I too agree with Indy on this........................

Having lived thru a Chimmey fire, if the Flue closes or becomes blocked EVERYTHING around or near the front will Melt, and Fuel any other parts to increase the fire......................

1. I would find another place to put the TV and Audio speakers.

2. Or just go with a two channel system, and spread out the Main Speakers - further away from the Fireplace !

Just my Humble ideas.....................

• 14 years later...
On 7/18/2008 at 4:43 AM, superedge88 said:

I have an RC-3 center that I have to move from sitting on top of the mantel to (hopefully) hanging from the underside of the mantel. I have to do this to make room for an LCD screen that I just bought. I am wondering if I will just have to fabricate some sort of C bracket to "float" the RC-3 under the mantel, or is there some sort of bracket that you guys could direct me to that would be good for this application? ANY and I mean ANY ideas on how best to do this would be great! And on a a side note, the wife hates that I am going to be drilling into the mantel at all, so any ideas that are the least destructive to the mantel are very appreciated!

I’m glad you figured it out SE88 as I’m in the same boat which is how I ended up here. Can’t say I’ll be back as it appears that the site is infested with trolls. I’ve decided to make two bracket with some aluminum sheet metal and just fabricate it to size, and then paint it.

Cheers.

24 minutes ago, John Evans said:

I’m glad you figured it out SE88 as I’m in the same boat which is how I ended up here. Can’t say I’ll be back as it appears that the site is infested with trolls. I’ve decided to make two bracket with some aluminum sheet metal and just fabricate it to size, and then paint it.

Cheers.

You’re responding to a 14 year old thread and the member you quoted hasn’t been on here since 2021.

4 hours ago, John Evans said:

Cheers.

Trolls? Hmmm. I’ll suggest mounting it above the tv at an angle. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

A couple of wrought iron U shaped brackets would work. I would probably have a shelf on the brackets with a piece of sheet aluminum on the bottom, perhaps going all the way back to the brick to reflect/divert the heat away/around the center. Still a bit risky...

But I no longer have a fireplace or wood stove in my house, and probably won't need one in my retirement home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth on reviving an old thread, I mounted my RC-7 on a bracket made out of wood angled slightly upwards (similar to a speaker riser) located on the base of the fireplace that I would remove when I choose to have a fire.

Due to the weight of the RC-7 and the heat generated by my wood fireplace I felt that this was my better option.

• Like 1