2nd UPDATE: Dtel's Mom

• Moderators

A lot of you have become very good friends and we wanted to share something that is going on in our family right now.

Dtel's mother and sister lost everything they own in Hurricane Katrina and have lived with us since that time. Dtel's mother is 73 years old. She has suffered a stroke and a broken arm that couldn't be fixed (she is an insulin dependent diabetic). When she broke her left arm (about five years ago) it became infected with MRSA. She was hospitalized for quite a long time and we were told she might not recover, a large section of the upper arm that was infected was removed at that time. Amazingly, things turned around and she was able to come home. She has no use of her left arm.

July 3rd (this year) at my mother in law's request our oldest daughter, Jamie who is an RN examined her right foot. Jamie told Dtel's mom that it looked like the foot was infected, probably cellulites. On Sunday, July 6 my sister in law took mother in law to the emergency room. She was admitted into the hospital.

Her podiatrist examined her foot on Tuesday, July 8. Upon completion of the examination he advised a large section on the top part of mother in law's foot was "dead" and there was obviously some infection. (We now know the infection is Strep B, which is much easier to treat than MRSA) I must say her podiatrist is one of the nicest, happy go lucky, down to earth people I have ever met. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I took my mother for her semi annual podiatry appointment. Well, I knew by the look of "deep concern" and intensive questioning on the "progression of deterioration" during the examination what the eventual outcome would be. At that point I began rearranging our personal and financial affairs to put us in a position that would allow us to provide daytime care for mother in law upon eventual discharge. My sister in law will care for her in the evenings, but of course we will be available whenever needed.

Anyway, this dead section required extensive debriding (if you are not familiar with this procedure you can Google it) as the infection and dead tissue extended "to the bone". Additionally, more tissue was being affected...all the way up to the ankle. Poor circulation and diabetes were contributing to the condition. A vascular surgeon was also consulted and three stints (via arterialgram...similiar procedure to angiogram) were inserted into her leg.

Tissue continued to deteriorate from the ankle down. She was taken into surgery again on Tuesday, July 15 for further debriding. This procedure left little more than tendons and bones from the ankle down, with the pad of the foot remaining intact...for now...no muscle, no tissue, nothing. After this procedure was completed attending physicians called in an orthopedic surgeon. The orthopedic surgeon examined the foot tonight and advised amputation is the only way out, as the decaying tissue was now spreading above the ankle.

The procedure normally used after extensive debriding requires tissue and muscle being surgically removed from another area of the body...but her age, the diabetes, congestive heart failure, degenerative vascular disease and current Strep B infection make this ill advised. In the surgeon's opinion we would only be delaying the inevitable.

The orthopedic surgeon will consult with the vascular surgeon to determine whether the amputation will be above the knee or below the knee. This decision will be based on the amount of blood flow to those areas. We have been advised the surgery will take place "the early part of next week".

I guess the hardest thing about all of this was deciding what to tell my mother in law...who is 73 years old that it will be okay and we will be there for her. Her first words in response, "It's such a burden". I told her, "It's only a burden if you don't want us to do this for you." "This is something we want to do, if you will allow us". I told her that she needed to get better so she could come home and eat "bend over (piece of bread folded in half with meat) sandwiches" with Buddy (they very often eat lunch together, with Buddy gathering and preparing the "bend over sandwiches". I went on to explain to her that dtel and I have done some rearranging with our finances and this will work out.

I had some time to prepare for all of this because like I said it was obvious to me on July 8 what the outcome would be. She knows how much the Klipsch organization and all of you on this forum mean to us. You are our extended family. My mother in law and sister in law know a lot of you by name and some of you have met them and spent some time with them while visiting our home.

I would simply ask that you keep them and us in your prayers.

I can't imagine being in my mother in law's position. My father in law passed away July 26, 1996, exactly four years before Buddy was born.

What would you say?

Family is family.. You do what you can, to keep people alive and living a respectful life.

Without them, good or bad, you have no connection to your past. Let alone your future with other relatives too.

Your in my prayers.

I would at this point give a day of my life at the end to have my own dad back for one day now too. If he could see were doing ok, and see the grandson born a month later named after him as well. Be awesome to have that opportunity. Don't miss out on what you already have before you!

Again Christy, your heart of Gold shines through, my thoughts and prayers are with you and dtel, and your family. You people have been through alot the past couple of years, and you continue to rise to the occasion, Peace be with you ........ "One Love" ........ They say, God doesn't give us anymore than we can handle, but you guys have to be near the limit .............

Christy how are you doing, spend a little time taking care of yourself .............

Christy,

I am so sorry to hear about dtel's mom. I know, she your mother in law, but as you write it sounds like she is your mom, by affection.

That is a good place for her, in the midst of a loving family, as she faces this situation. It's alot for you guys to face with her.

We are thinking of all of you in our prayers. For God to sustain all of you with everything you need.

Peace,

Dee

May God bless and look over you and your family.

I took care of my father the last 5+ years of his life. It seemed tough at times.

I find now that the missed moments with him are much tougher than anything I may have gone through at the time.

What I thought was tough at the time were actually blessings. Don't let one second slip by. You can not get it back.

I shall include you guys in my prayers.

Harry

Momma Dtel can still be a proud and happy face at the head of the Dtel dining table even after the surgery.

I remember her very fondly from my week-long visit with y'all before the weddings. She's a vibrant lady and though her eyesight isn't as good, her eyes still sparkle. She has been through a lot but is strong. Your clan sticks together through anything it is confronted with and seems to thrive in the near communal living situation. She will take any news with quiet dignity, I'm certain.

I'm still ashamed of myself for putting my Mother in a care facilty during the last year of your COPD, although she need the nursing care, the quality of life was greatly diminished. I hope that she can forgive me. It's a burden I will always live with.

Prayers go out to your entire family during this time. You are doing the right thing.You have the love, the family, and the resources. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine.

CALL ME!

Michael

Well, for those of you who don't know me, I am Dtel's middle daughter.

From the bottom of my heart, and on behalf of my grandmother, my mother, an my father, I sincerely thank each of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Each of you have become a part of our extended family and I appreciate all of you for being there for my parents. I sure am lucky to have such a wonderful family.

It is with sadness that I say I regret that it takes something like this for me to tell my family how I feel!

It is with sadness that I say I regret that it takes something like this for me to tell my family how I feel!

That's pretty much the norm so don't beat yourself up over it & they know how you feel.

Christy, check your email next week.

• Moderators

UPDATE:

The orthopedic surgeon advised us yesterday afternoon that he would be doing the surgery on dtel's mom today. We all spent some time with dtel's mom this morning before she went for surgery at 2:00. Everyone of us told her we would be waiting for her when she came out. Her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren all got to visit.

Dtel's mom came through surgery with no problems. The surgeon said everything went smoothly and the area of the amputation has good blood flowing to it, which is essential to healing.

All (seventeen) of us got to see her while she was in the recovery room. She was talking and appeared to be in good spirits. Even her great grandchildren, including the six month old got to see her immediately after surgery.

Once she got to her room each of us spent a couple of minutes telling her much we all love her and would be back tomorrow. When I walked up to her bed she immediately said, "I love you". I told her "Maw Maw I love you too, the worst part is over. You will be going to rehab soon and they will work with you." Her response, "That's what I'm afraid of." I think that is a positive statement on her part...at least she has thought about rehab and realizes it's going to be tough.

Our entire family wants to thank each of you for your prayers, thoughts and consideration. It is so nice to know when things get really tough and life's long road gets "bumpy" we can depend on our family and friends. Each of the comments you took the time to post are sincerely appreciated.

Please continue to keep us and our family in your prayers and thoughts as we travel along this path. I am not sure what the future holds, but I do know with the support of our family and our friends we can get through anything.

Thank you,

Christy and Elden, and the rest of the "Dtel gang"

Dtel gang,

Hi I just read this, prayers and good thoughts are coming your way. I am a type 1 diabetic, have been for about 18 years. One thought came to mind as I read this. Are they planning on treating her hyperbarically, I had an uncle who was a type II diabetic who had amputaoins as a result of his advanced conditoin, the post surgical high oxygen environment treatment was probably what saved his leg at the time. He eventually lost his fight to the disease and its complications but the time he spent post surgery in teh hyperbarric chamber made a huge impact, especiialy in cases like his where circulatory and neuropathy were a concern.