2 Channel setup for the garage!!!!

samson

Industrial LaScalas on nice lockable wheeled dollies? (that's what I use) [:D]

Anything Heresy seems to be favorites among the guys here.

KSB2.1 is deadly flat but lacking a bit in efficiency.

I think any speaker without rear port or passive driver works best. That way you can put it high on a shelf out of harms way in the garage.

I use a set of KLF-10s that were picked up local and cheap. Reinforced the cabinets and built wheeled carts for them so I can move them around the garage or into the driveway. Powered by an older Pioneer @ 150w per channel and a laser disc player for a source. Not much to look at but great for the garage.

..............dang man, you're in HEAVEN.......... 

Yes I am .... got the Macro for $325 .. minty mint ... I think it was in an editing bay in a rack ... ZERO marks .. I put it into a case to preserve it. Made in 1999

Posted Image

The Source

Posted Image

The whole rig .... I would describe it as Fast and Tight !!!!

Posted Image

I have an extra pair of KG-4.2's but I think I could do better, any suggestions.

Depends. Is this a one, two, or three-car garage? Are you planning for any acoustical room treatments? Like, a CAR, for example? Imaging could suffer with too much reflection of standing waves, you know. How about the sweet spot? Is it off-axis or dead center? Do you plan any critical listening whilst in the garage? How about toe-in? Distance from rear wall? Do you want to accentuate midrange for vocals or are you one who diggs a tight bottom? [*-)] There is so much missing information.

.......... Do you plan any critical listening whilst in the garage?............There is so much missing information. ..........

Well ... for me .... the "Garage" system is about none of the above ...

It is about wrenching on dirt bikes, recapping old amps, fixing dings on surfboards ... stuff like that .. there is no "sweet spot" .... too many dirtbikes in the way ... I would say the KTM 525 has the sweet spot all sewn up .....

to me its about jamming good tunes .. drinking cold beer and getting some projects done. The neighbors walk by ... come in ... have a beer a listen to some tunes ... playing Poncho Sanchez or Otis taylor to some one who has never heard it ... and playing it on 11 .. thats what a garage system is about !!!!

GK- great rig, but get some separation in there mang! I recommend splitting the 201's about 10' each off your main work area.

WHen I roll my LSI double stacks out wide on the motor court (I work outside since the 2 car gar is filled with speakers), the stereo spread it INTENSE!

I've got a Marantz 2252B driving a pair of Klipsch 2.2's in my work bench behind false doors. If I'm working on one of the cars and don't have a sweet spot, my ceiling mounted B&W Solid Monitors work well. The Marantz is fed by a PC/music server database of 6000+ songs, high speed internet access, and DirectTV.

I'd stick with the 4.2's you have to build a system - if your work bench isn't tall enough to put them under, I'd try to mount them horizontally on shelving up near the ceiling. Radiating of the ceiling will generate more bass if that's what you're looking for, Plus this will give you a good spread of sound in the garage - rather than have speakers on the floor facing into a car.

The downside of mounting them near the ceiling is the room above (if there is one) will also get plenty of bass :)

...............I'm with the Colt GK, you need to seperate those to really get that garage shakin..............

Trust me ... I agree with him too!!!!! It's a question of logistics ... not desire. Couple things involved ....

The shelf is already there to split them and move them up high ... power along the wall too .... BUT ... It's earthquake country out here .... so anything that heavy ... that high up needs to be attached ... no problem ... but gotta do it.

Which leads to the other logistical issue .... these are the speakers I pull out to use a various backyard BBQ's .... so now they would be up by the ceiling, on a shelf, and tied in.

Guess I need to buy more speakers.[:D]