The Dark Knight

Amy

I'm with the others, I loved him as the joker. A real force, and embodied "lunacy" quite nicely.

Absolutely Amy.

I love animation movies such as Happy Feet, Ratatouille, etc as the actors are everything the director wants them to be – to the smallest facial expressions. When I was watching Heath as a Joker I thought to myself can an animation top this performance. I don’t think so. Absolutely flawless IMHO.

I don’t know, maybe I take my movies too seriously.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Joker character should be retired after this last performance. There is no topping it. Smart actors would not even attempt it. Bring back other villans, there were several in the story line of the DC comics, right?

I did not detect any 'leanings' on the part of Mr. Ledger other than drug-crazed psychopath. Such a sad ending for a brilliant actor.

Well I just contributed my share of the 370 million or so this movie has brought in. It was very entertaining. I could see parts of Jack Nicholson in Ledger's Joker. I still thought his acting was very good though. I did not see the first movie, 'Batman Begins', but one thing that sort of bothered me was the voice of Batman. That was about the only thing I didnt care for in this new franchise.

I hesitate saying this, but there was way too much drag queen. It was only after complaining about it that my family informed me that Ledger was actually gay! I dunno what I would have thought if I had known that going into the movie, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting from the Joker role.

Wow Mike , I saw the same movie and did not get or come away with any gay connotations . I thought Ledgers performane was great ! You say your family knows he was gay ? Did they know him personaly or arrive at this from some other movie role Ledger had . He does have a child ya know . Not that having a child means he wasn't gay .

I detect that you left the theatre somewhat uncomfortable . " Why sooo serious ?! "

Not that it matters, but was he straight? The people I heard saying that were so matter of fact about it that I just accepted it as true. I certainly didn't know him personally. If he was straight, I would have been more forward about my flamer observations, lol...I've always sucked at being PC.

Btw, it was more the body language than anything else. I've seen creepy wacked out ppl before and that's not the body language I was seeing in the movie - it was more inline with the body language at a drag show I ended up mixing for at work a year ago...

Anyways, I thought the character was awesome. I don't see how it honors Ledger in any way to not allow a new actor to take on the role. Batman is totally defined by Joker - there's no way you could get rid of the character in future movies.

Not that it matters, but was he straight?

It does not matter.

Doc, you got to get out more.

There's more world to open up the grasshopper's eyes....

Get a load of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show, now there's a performance!

It's just acting, that's all. Repeat to yourself 'it's only a movie, i'ts only a movie, it's only a movie'....

Yes he was straight ask his ex-girlfriend Naomi Watts. She played played Ann Darrow in King Kong. He was just a brilliant actor. Look at all the people that have believed past performances so much that they think he really is gay.

Not that it matters, but was he straight?

It does not matter.

Doc, you got to get out more.

There's more world to open up the grasshopper's eyes....

Get a load of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show, now there's a performance!

It's just acting, that's all. Repeat to yourself 'it's only a movie, i'ts only a movie, it's only a movie'....

I don't understand your point.

Btw, it was more the body language than anything else. I've seen creepy wacked out ppl before and that's not the body language I was seeing in the movie - it was more inline with the body language at a drag show I ended up mixing for at work a year ago...

If you like to dress in women's clothing or like the company of a man, its cool. Not my style, but its a valid style, just be yourself.

why does the actor's orientation matter one hoot? if he acts neurotic, spacy, gay, alien, whatever, it's acting....not real life.

I think it's retarded that his acting gave the Joker a sense of being your soft handed feminine type gay dude stereotype. It is absolutely not what I was expecting from a role that I thought was supposed to be hardcore twisted.

I worded my original post the way I did because I didn't want to come across as bashing him for his sexual orientation because his ability to perform the character is all that should matter.

I could do without the condescending attitude btw.

why does the actor's orientation matter one hoot? if he acts neurotic, spacy, gay, alien, whatever, it's acting....not real life.

I think it's retarded that his acting gave the Joker a sense of being your soft handed feminine type gay dude stereotype. It is absolutely not what I was expecting from a role that I thought was supposed to be hardcore twisted.

I worded my original post the way I did because I didn't want to come across as bashing him for his sexual orientation because his ability to perform the character is all that should matter.

I could do without the condescending attitude btw.

Joker soft handed feminine gay stereotype?.... I'm not sure we watched the same movie but everyone walks away with their own take on characters. Those noises he made with his mouth gave me the freakies.

Next I want to see Voyage To The Center Of The Earth in 3D.... Totally psyched about this one. I can't wait to see modern 3D.

Ive been reading the Batman v Joker series for over 60 years,,,, The joker will never die,,, He,s been trying to push the Batman over the edge,, Came close a few times... Yes Ledger did a good job of playing a crazed psychopath,, great acting,,, The Joker even killed one of the ROBINS without flinching. There were three Robins... The Joker keeps coming back more maniacle and more Evil each time. Remember in all of the Batman stories its about the villins.... But the JOKER is the one in all of the stories Ive read that disturbes the Batman the most. In this movie Ledger came the closest in portraying the psychopathic personality.... I can understand Mikes uneasyness in this great acting skill,,, Ledger walked a fine edge... As he did in all of his movies,, But its only a movie.... But like the Excsorcist it disturbed many people for days,,,, But the acting is what puts them over the top,,, But its only a movie some based on the truth, some but on true fiction.

I think they could get another joker very easily. The best part of being crazy is unpredicability. A quick plot change would allow many options. In this movie, the joker had a master plan. Get him boxed in a corner and he could respond all together differently. Lets say he is given electoshock while encarserated, instant new personality. Follow the old storyline and give him a horific industrial accident.

IMO there are many easy ways to alow a new actor to play the joker and explain the physical and personality trait differences.

JM

Just got back from seeing The Dark Knight with my wife and son. Excellent movie, Heath Ledgers performance was as good as it gets. I did think that Bales growling voice as Batman was a little over the top. How anyone that saw this movie thought Ledger portrayed the Joker as a little feminine or like a drag queen amazes me.

As I rememberd it,, the darker Batman voice started with the animated cinema version and Bale applied his version with a modulated over affects,, I,m sure the Joker will be back,,, I remember one story where all of the inmates from Arkhem Asylum broke out including The Joker,,,Batmans task was to round up all the Evil crazy inmates.But the Batman is locked in the asylum too. But Ledger portraying a feminine side of the Joker,, Thats a laugh..Joker style.

Who, did you ever see Pirates of the Caribbean, Jonney Depp does some good "gay" acting..... Speaking of Depp I think he could pull off the Joker. I thought this movie was great, the best of all the Batman movies and also the best movie I have seen in a while. I thought Heaths acting was outstanding. Steve

Who, did you ever see Pirates of the Caribbean, Jonney Depp does some good "gay" acting..... Speaking of Depp I think he could pull off the Joker. I thought this movie was great, the best of all the Batman movies and also the best movie I have seen in a while. I thought Heaths acting was outstanding. Steve

The funny thing is that Depp based that character on Keith Richards. If you watch Keith Richards it is apparent.