Chorus II's on their way!

stormin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple more of initial impressions. When you actually see these two side by side its ridiculous. Its like Samson and Goliath. The Cornwalls are huge!

I always thought the Chorus II's were big. Noway!

Steely Dan opened the first round. Wow what a round.

Yeah... Monday Night Football's never really recovered.... it's since moved to a different network... and fights aren't near as entertaining without Humble Howard.... R.I.P. Howard

One of my favorite TV memories was Muhammed Ali, I don't remember the show, punching away on a speed bag adorned with Howard's mug.... wasn't it Muhammed's boxing induced Parkinson's Disease that steered Howard away from boxing? Sure had some good verbal sparring.

But the Chorus is back on it's feet ... dancing around ... almost taunting the heavier Cornwall ... "... float like a butterfly ... sting like a bee ..." OUCH ... how can anything stay looking so good after the punch the Cornwall just delivered... and we're only halfway through round 1

wasn't it Muhammed's boxing induced Parkinson's Disease that steered Howard away from boxing?

It was actually the fight between Larry Holmes and overmatched, but too tough for his own good, Randall "Tex" Cobb, which was preceded, just weeks earlier, by Ray Mancini's fatal victory over Deuk Koo Kim. Incidentally, both Kim's mother, and the bouts referee, Richard Green, both committed suicide within eight months of the Mancini-Kim fight, and the world boxing council decided to reduce the length of championship fights from 15 rounds to only 12 as a direct result.

I miss Howard Cosell, great Sportscaster, Monday Night Football just isn't the same without him ............. R.I.P. Humble Howard !

As can recall(?), The Spinks vs Ali 1st fight, Howard received a bloody lip from Spink's elbow(?) as was trying to do a sit down with Howard. The control booth was so crowded with sportsnewspeople, that Spinks accidentally roughed up Howard.

Howard just kept going with a handkercheif dabbing his lips.

ChorusII may be an Ali type!?!

No knockouts in this one. Its off to the score cards.

These two share alot of similarities. But they each have their own unique signature.

At lower volumes the Cornwall comes across as a much more balanced speaker. Probably due to the bump in the bass at 70 or 80 hz. I find that the Cornwall has a larger soundstage. I get a complete fill from one side of the room to the other. The center image is descent. Alot of depth as well. Just has a nice rich character to it. The fewer the instruments playing the easier for the Cornwalls to keep up. The bass is very deep and solid. There is no lack of bass with Cornwalls. I find that they do like the walls or corners better than out in the room a bit. The impact of the snare is very sharp and crisp with the Corns. A very realistic presentation of a live venue. Bob Crites crossovers really opened these speakers up. A very enjoyable speaker.

The Chorus II at lower volume seems a little shy in the bass. I believe this is due to the fact of such a flat response. The Chorus II images about the same as the Corns. I was suprised at this due to the much smaller baffle of the Chorus II. The tractrix horn is definitely smoother than the exponential. The Chorus II has a much smaller sound stage in comparison.The Chorus II's passive radiator absolutley needs a wall or corner for reinforcement. I believe the corner to be the best. I find the Chorus II to be a very quick speaker. It handles complicated pieces of music with ease. The bass on the Chorus II is very tight. The more volume the tighter it becomes. It seems that the Chorus II can withstand a tremedous amount of power and only improve in its presentation. A very enjoyable speaker.

I would venture to say that the Cornwall is a better candidate for tube amplification than the Chorus II due to the exponential horn. The Chorus II leans more to solid state due to the woofer demands. Not to say that they both cannot sound great with either type of amplification.

I have lived with Chorus II's for nearly 18 years. I have lived with Cornwalls for just over a month. As far as preference is concerned I would consider myself biased on the side of the Chorus II. The types of music that I enjoy and the nature of the presentation that I look for is what the Chorus II is able to provide. And as I stated in the beginning I was looking for the best for me and my preferences.

This fight went 15 rounds with no real winner or loser. I dont have enough equipment or different types of gear and sources to really take each speaker through all of their strengths and weaknesses. I buy according to the sound I am looking for. I buy what fits my preferences. I enjoy the vintage Marantz and Klipsch. I have tried alot of gear over the years and this is where I am at. I have had tube gear from Dynaco to Audible Illusions. I have had solid state from high powered QSC to Aragon. This is where I am at on my listening journey.

Two great warriors indeed!

Cornwalls lost .................. they are For Sale, .... $500. in Garage Sale Section !!!!

Great deal. I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat if they were anywhere near the Los Angeles area. Thanks for the head to head, Stormin.

OB, I thought you said $50. Darn, thought I'd gotten the score of the month. Though I could trade you back your Cornwalls thought I bought for $200 a few months back, if I'd ever get them, for these - the seller never did say where to send the paypal.... Or just send me these and we'll call it even...and you could then keep yours.

Though I could trade you back your Cornwalls thought I bought for $200

Nice try, IF I were to sell mine, they would be $1,000. atleast, and that would be a deal, you'll just have to trust me on that. Hell man, my Heresy II's would go first, and I'm real happy with those ................. I'm not done with the Cornwalls yet, one or two more things to do to make them the way I want !!!!

OB, I don't doubt that your Cornwalls are worth at least $1000. I would doubt that you're going to sell them anytime soon for anything less than a ridiculous price and even then I might be surprised.. I thought maybe you were returning the favor when a forum member offered up your equipment, mostly electroincs, for way too little coin....

trade you back your Cornwalls thought I bought for $200

Oh my, I gave $700. and traveled 5 hours one way to get them. Since then I have replaced the Crossovers, B-3's, and the tweeters with CT125's, I'm a little over a grand now, and only half done .................. Funny, 2 years ago I said I would never own Cornwalls, I wanted Khorns, but the Cornwalls work out much better for me.

Whom ever gets Stormin's Cornwalls is getting a fine deal there ..................... Right Harryo ????