LaScala build question

Coytee

I'm only asking for conversation sake... cause I'm a curious type.

If someone wanted to build a JubeScala, the plans for the bass bin are evidently, easily found. Great.

If however, someone sees a K402 on top of a LaScala bass bin, they will quickly notice that it might look a bit top heavy. This got me wondering about simply putting the LaScala on its side to make it wider and lower.

That then, got me thinking... what if you lopped off the top section (or perhaps used a split LaScala)... now you've got a smaller footprint BUT you might be back to feeling its a bit out of balance looking...

Ok, so THAT finally got me thinking... what if you started with a blank piece of paper.... designed the exterior dimensions of the bass bin only, (no top section) to be as wide as the K402. That will give you something like what.... six or eight inches of extra room that the current LaScala doesn't have??

Could you effectively build a 'taller' (wider in this example) LaScala bass bin and if you did could you use that extra width to your benefit of sound?

If so, would you gain deeper bass? Would you need different driver?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not start with a Belle bottom (no pun intended)? It's 30.125" wide vs. 23.75 for the LaScala. There's at lease one set of Belle plans published in the forum messages.

The K402 is almost 40" wide.

Greg

I've measured it and don't remember.... it's a fraction taller & wider than a full LaScala so let's just say it's 36" wide (though I think it's 32 ?) Here's a pic of it on top of a bass bin (LaScalla II). I was thinking, if you could turn the bass bin 90 degrees and make it a bit wider to create a more even front... it might look better and got to wondering if it would sound better since it could be bigger (wider).

post-15072-13819393740084_thumb.jpg

I know nothing of the physics involved in making a bin but i would think that you would need to keep the new larger bin congruent (I always wanted to use that word since HS geometry) to the original LaScala bin... or you could just be playing hit or miss....must be a mathematical equation to use as a guide ....

bigger lascala=electrovice domminator and/or electrovice eliminator

lay it down on it's side and it would support a k-402 with not problem.

Could you effectively build a 'taller' (wider in this example) LaScala bass bin and if you did could you use that extra width to your benefit of sound?

If so, would you gain deeper bass? Would you need different driver?

You haven't been paying attention. Just find a used Peavey FH-1 bottom, repaint it, and put a K-33 in there. It goes lower than a LaScala and is 30" wide. You should find them all day long for $100 each, including the bulletproof Black Widow 1504-4 woofer, which is a cross between a K43 and K33 in performance, but it's 4" voice coil with vented pole piece can take gobs of power.

I built what I call, a Bigger Belle. It was 24 inches deep to accomodate a K-400 type midrange. It ended up a bit wider too. I used a 15 inch driver. It worked okayl.

I believe that there is room for variation in these W bins. The Eliminator II is another example.

For all the variation between the Belle, the LS and Eliminator, they are all relatively short in path length. All about three feet. The length is as an important issue as mouth size.

Generally these varous horns are, in my view, about 20% of each other in any aspect. The one you are proposing seems like that too. So I wouldn't expect any great improvement in bass.

In contrast to this, we have the K-Horn, Jubilee, and Hartsfield. These are significantly longer, have a lower Fc, and go in a corner. Those three factors add up to a significant improvement even though mouth size is not that much greater. The LS and K-Horn are both 4 square feet. The Jubilee is 5 square feet.

Therefore, I would not discourage a builder who wants to play with dimensions of a W bin. But I think there is not going to be a great change.

Wm McD

Amen on the University Corrected Classic DJK. I built this set while in college and used the Speakerlab 8 ohm woofers (not as good as the K-33) and it blew my socks off. Still haven't found them.

Seriously folks, the bass was awesome and build is much easier than the Lascala or Belle.

Hint, if you build it paint the interior before you assemble! If you use mdf have some strong friends to help move it. Some thieves broke in my house and took the stereo electronics but didn't know how to steal the speakers! Good luck.

Chris,

If you're doing a lot of do it yourself, find any post by Dr Who and check out his measuresound site. He's put together a portable measurment rig that is pretty doggon powerful and very accurate and I think he put it together for around $200, using the laptop he already has, with cheap or even freeware as the main software. I think the biggest costs were for the calibrated mic, phantom power source for the mic, mic input to USB converter, and cabling. Would allow you to tweek your crossovers and test the results and see how the speaker actually performs. I've been thinking about putting something like that together but when I have more time and money....

The Corrected Classic plans found in Chris Roberson's website was based on the same Classic plans found in hifilit.com. Factory built Classics (University) used a different set of plans which can be found in this thread below. This revision of the drawing (after 1956) added a center brace behind the doghouse and additional bracings inside the doghouse.. I added those to my pre-1956 Classic, plus a throat section center divider, which improved the bass even more..

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/67136.aspx?PageIndex=1

Please note: the corrected plans is INCORRECT..I have a redrawn version in AutoCad, based on the factory plans, and a factory built Classic..

Regardless, the Classic beats my Speakerlab K-clones. Some prefer it over the real deal. Like Longdrive03 said, the bass is awesome.

Q-man built the corner version, the Dean, which he says performs better than La Scalas. It's 37 inches wide and can accomodate the K402 on top, no problem. (The Dean in the picture is not the one that Q-man built).

post-14184-13819393914614_thumb.jpg

i just broughtmy 1st McIntosh amp.Will be here in a couple of days.Mc250. Now i need a pair Of LaScala's.Got to get to work.I have some plans.Some1 sent them to me.aBut they are a little vaque.Atleast for a layman like me.Any 1 has LaScala pland"for dummies".I'm not a carpenter,a master painter,but not a carpenter.I try .Those angles look a little complicated.but the alternative is 3000.oo dollars(faor a new pair).Almost finished with my rc10.Check out my ,myspace.

www.myspace.com/brooklyn758

Get the dimensions of the Peavy LF-1. Same great folded bass horn sound, 31" wide. That should support a 402 nicely and possibly go deeper. The FH-1 also has a support in the horn mouth- I heard Roger's the other day and there was no cabinet resonance that i could hear at all- very solid build quality.

M