Heat buildup on outdoor cabinets

dtel

• Moderators

Commercial speaker which are used outside in the summer, what about heat buildup on the drivers. Down here it can be 98 degrees in the shade, put black boxes in the sun and there is no telling how hot they could get ?

I would think the wood would help insulate some of the heat, but over a few hours it probably still gets very hot ?

some manufactures provide operating temp info

Enviroment -
Operating temperature 32° F to 122° F (0° C to 50° C)
Storage temperature -22° F to 167° F (-30° C to 70° C)
Humidity Max. 90 % non-condensing

The drivers themselves create an astonishing amount of heat and are designed to be resistant to that internal heat. A few more degrees on the cabinet isn't going to hurt them. But the paint finish will be affected and any plastics on the horns, handles could possibly be deformed by long periods in the sun.

For your climate, I'd recommend a light colored packing blanket over the tops of your MWMscalas. At least reflect the sun away a bit if you can or keep em underneath some shade.

• Moderators

" I'd recommend a light colored packing blanket over the tops of your MWMscalas "

That's what I have been doing, but pointing them out to the back yard, if out there in the evening they are pointing toward the evening sun. I had even hung a very light piece of material down the front of the top 2 horns one evening to give them some shade while playing and couldn't hear much of a difference. White paint may have helped but they would just look silly.

It was 96 today in the shade, I may just make something light to cover them with just to be safe when it's really hot, cheaper than hunting parts and waiting.

Was thinking about selling my little (open) trailer and replacing it with a somewhat small cargo trailer that could be used to haul them around like to parties or the beach or anyplace, and just use a small battery to power the amp, like the desert pictures. Those pic's are what really got me thinking about this whole MWMscala thing, I love the sound of music outside, I don't know why ?

Thanks

• Moderators

some manufactures provide operating temp info

Enviroment -
Operating temperature 32° F to 122° F (0° C to 50° C)
Storage temperature -22° F to 167° F (-30° C to 70° C)
Humidity Max. 90 % non-condensing

Thanks, that's your K43 speakers in the MWM's, they do very well for what I am using them for, a little extra bass for outdoors over a K33 I am told. [Y] I just love the MWM's, I really do.