High End Speakers do Sound High End

After reading the reviews of the Palladiums by a few forum members, can we finally agree that there is something to new technology and that, yes, new higher end speakers, although they are expensive, do have qualities that are redeeming and maybe even worth the money (ignoring the law of diminishing returns).

Please no wars over "For the money you could have Cornwalls and a ..."

Everyone I know who has heard Palladiums think they sound fabulous.

It's just a fact of life that for the price of a pair of Palladiums one could get two pair of Jubilees and take a vacation. [H]

No diss on Palladiums here. They are killer speakers.

Everyone I know who has heard Palladiums think they sound fabulous.

It's just a fact of life that for the price of a pair of Palladiums one could get two pair of Jubilees and take a vacation. [H]

No diss on Palladiums here. They are killer speakers.

After reading the reviews of the Palladiums by a few forum members, can we finally agree that there is something to new technology and that, yes, new higher end speakers, although they are expensive, do have qualities that are redeeming and maybe even worth the money (ignoring the law of diminishing returns).

PWK was a genius, but the engineers at Klipsch are no slouches and they have not been sitting on their hands for all these years. Klipsch speakers will continue to evolve and improve.

I've not heard the Palladiums, but I have no doubts about thier sonic capabilities.

However, they are WAYYYYYYY outta my price league. As are most new "high end" offerings......which is why I have been here, assembling the best of older, proven, classic gears that other audiophiles "spill". That starts with used Heritage.....I pined for them over many years before finally fulfilling my wishes by finding this forum over seven years ago. And while many do not consider them "high end", I consider them high end enough for me (aided by proper electronics to drive them, of course). The "upside" is tremendous with those old Heritage.

It is perfectly understood that new efforts can and do exceed the performance of old, especially when well researched - and sufficient resources are applied to such a project. A lot can be accomplished with big budgets, and I am very pleased that Klipsch has decided to reach out to those customers and continue to push the technological envelope. It's good for immediate business, and it's good for all of us Klipschers too, because it keeps the company viable while fulfilling ALL of our needs, regardless of price points. I also find it worth noting that Klipsch has still stuck to what made them successful in the beginning (New Heritage, Jubilee), so they haven't turned thier backs on us "old schoolers" by any means.....they are just expanding thier customer base AND pushing the quality envelope at the same time. With the Palladium project, Klipsch isn't going "cheap/low common denominator/out of higher end" like many said in the mid 1990's (when Heritage was disappearing while being replaced with other lower cost designs) - Klipsch is really "going for it" with the Palladium by reaching out to this higher end market. I sincerely "Hope" it is successful.

That said, I'm Heritage to the core, and that will never change, yet I'm not so foolish to believe that they cannot be beaten. However, you CANNOT beat them for the prices I paid for them - and for a guy with a more modest, working class income, they truly are a slice of audio heaven. They are "high end" enough for me, and I really don't wish I had anything else. Being "happy with what you have to be happy with" (apologies to King Crimson) is a very good feeling.

~sigh~

I auditioned the Palladium P-39f back to back with the 60th anniversery edition Klipschorn. Same room, same music, same electronics, optimal placement for both pairs of speakers. I could have had a brand new pair of Klipschorns (or paid someone far more talented than I to veneer some Jubs) for a lot less money. Recall the PWK quote from Jim Garret "Some people told us they got loans to buy our speakers, we like those customers" ? I'll be paying for these for a long time. They are beautiful and sound better than anything I've ever heard. The fact that $20k for speakers just plain isn't an option for some doesn't change the overall long-term equation of "What do I want? What's the best?". Yes, everyone who's visited and met my family agrees that my wife is a saint among women.

I'm as fond of the PWK legacy as anyone. As j-malotky said @my place last night, one of the amazing things PWK did is take relatively inexpensive parts off the shelf and make them into something that was a ground-breaking game changer. The Palladium engineers (Chris P and Roy D mostly?) were given a green field to build something fantastic regardless of cost. The laws of physics have not changed in 60 years, but materials development and our ability to rapidly model different behaviors and manufacture in a more precise matter has. Look what the P-39f does with far less displacement than big Heritage. I don't think it is anything negative to say (admit?) that they knocked this one out of the park.

The seeing is in the hearing,,,The price will take care of itself,,, If it dont sell then it will be heavely discounted and a lower price version will be introduced... I,ve seen that happen before. Look at the Harmon Revel line started with a big high price splash then a lower price version,, Then back to another high price version in the $20,000 range. Its a bold move for sure.

damon, enjoy your speakers, it really doesn't matter what others think, only what you think ............ Malibu or Corvette, they are both cars, just different price ranges .................

OB is right. You've got some rare and marvellous speakers. Enjoy them and don't worry about the grumblers who don't see your rationale in buying what you want.

Also, congrats on the new speakers! Happy listening!

Now not to knock any product but.....If these speakers were hidden behind a curtain with a pair of khorns and you know one pair cost $15000 ..Yeah you all know the rest.

old enough,

I think Palladium should beat Khorns behind a curtain.

The Klipsch engineers did hit it out of the park to come up with a genuine global market killer speaker. The engineers did their work for what would sound the best they could make it. They did just that. In addition to that, it is one awesome looking speaker.

Kudos, kudos, kudos.

So Islander just who was it who didn't see his rationale in him buying what he wants???

The original poster mentioned that price, or what you could buy instead of a pair of P-39Fs, should not be a factor in the discussion, but people brought it up anyway. It wasn't just uncalled for, it was asked not to be brought up.

PWK was a genius, but the engineers at Klipsch are no slouches and they have not been sitting on their hands for all these years. Klipsch speakers will continue to evolve and improve.

Just like PWK did with the Bell Labs, RCA, Western Electric, etc. engineers. His inventions were evolutionaly refinements of the basic principles known in the early 20th century.

The laws of physics remain. The rest is compromises and material choices for target market$.

I can't wait to hear Paladiums. I am already betting that they will sound incredible. Also I really like the top of the line B&W as well. However I always seem to prefer fully horn loaded systems. Unfortunately there are not enough of them out there for me. If I end up liking a non fully horn loaded system I'll have to eat my hat. Gee I hope I don't have to eat my hat. Can't wait to hear these Paladiums. The drivers they use are very impressive even if they ain't horn loaded. As far as price is concerned who cares. I'd like to see Klipsch build something that cost $40K or even $60K like the JBL Everest. I can't afford a Buggati but I sure as hell can appreciate the build quality and technology that went into a half a million dollar car. It would be cool if Klipsch would release a new fully horn loaded system that embraces the principles the company was founded upon.

Even more sexy with big McIntosh amps between them.....

p-39f_speakers_1-thumb-450x434.jpg