High End Speakers do Sound High End

It would be cool if Klipsch would release a new fully horn loaded system that embraces the principles the company was founded upon.

Frankly, I think it's an insult to their founder that they haven't.

I'm no expert on the matter, but from what I've heard, the wrangling within the company and the company's direction away from PWK's vision started happening long before PWK died, and it looks to me like it continues to this day.

If a salesman walked into PWK's office in 1975 and offered up his best argument for why Klipsch should produce the Palladium, that salesman would have gotten the back side of the lapel.

JMO and no reflection on how great the Palladium is. I just think the flagship of the company should be a fully horn-loaded speaker.

The Jubilee bass bin is a real advancement of the art of building horn-loaded speakers. That it's being largely ignored within the company except for commercial uses is a slap in the face to PWK.

Greg

Greg, I respect your sentiments, but have to disagree. The Jubilee is a great speaker and definitely embraces PWK's principles, but its size can make it a tough sell, even to hard-core Klipschsters. I've got JubScalas because Jubilees would actually block the daylight coming into my livingroom, as well as costing more than my budget allows at present.

Maybe the Jubilee is not being promoted the way you'd like, but it's available to us cognoscenti at a relatively affordable price, and we can't really ask for more than that.

The Palladium is a very high quality, great-sounding and great-looking speaker that will hopefully be bought by many people and raise the company's profile among high-end enthusiasts, helping to finance low-volume speakers like Jubilees and even MWMs that will probably never sell in large numbers.

Greg, I respect your sentiments, but have to disagree. The Jubilee is a great speaker and definitely embraces PWK's principles, but its size can make it a tough sell, even to hard-core Klipschsters. I've got JubScalas because Jubilees would actually block the daylight coming into my livingroom, as well as costing more than my budget allows at present.

Maybe the Jubilee is not being promoted the way you'd like, but it's available to us cognoscenti at a relatively affordable price, and we can't really ask for more than that.

The Palladium is a very high quality, great-sounding and great-looking speaker that will hopefully be bought by many people and raise the company's profile among high-end enthusiasts, helping to finance low-volume speakers like Jubilees and even MWMs that will probably never sell in large numbers.

They are different animals in my opinion. The Palladium is the top of the klipsch line of speakers like the Reference. That is the technology it is building on or more corretly expanded and improved upon. The Klipschorn Jubilee is more of the Pinnacle of the Heritage line in philosophy and spirit especially the folded bass horns. I still haven't heard it with the K403 like PWK had in the final product which had a release date but I'd like to. Two different animals with two different sounds. Nothing wrong with that just different.

They still have the Heritage line so they have not forgotten PWK contrabutions to the company. Klipsch could have stopped making the Heritage line but did not, they spent money to do some upgrades that improved the speakers, JMO.

The Palladiums look outstanding and I am sure they sound outstanding!

Members of this forum own all kinds of Klipsch speakers in all price ranges built over many years. Like many others I have had Heritage for many years. What I don't get is negativity on other Klipsch products/owners. Many of us have multiple sets of Klipsh speakers.

I got to hear Damons Palladiums because I was buying one of his Cornwalls. I thought the Palladiums sounded spectacular, but I bought a used Cornwall. I'm very happy for Damon and was impressed, but that doesn't mean I have to buy them myself or thay I enjoy my speakers any less. We each have our own budgets, priorities, listening habits etc. The Palladium doesn't hurt the Klipsch legacy, it adds to it. Certainly much more so than some of the BB products. You may have different taste but that's part the fun. Enjoy it.

Good thread.

My initial comment was posted because I was experiencing Deja Vu.

When I bought my K Horns and finally got them dialed in, they were the best speakers that I had ever heard. They did things with detail and dynamics that I had never heard before. I went out and bought Heresys and Bells too. Loved them. The day that I sold the Belles I sat with the buyer and listened and was still impressed at how great they sounded, I just did not have the room for them (Heritage becomes a collecting sickness).

When I stubbled across a pair of older B&W's for sale locally I had no intention of buying them, but i wanted to hear what al of the fuss was about. They were 20 years old. The guy had them set up with Rotel equipment and they just blew me away. He played some very well recorded Peter Gabriel and I just could not believe how natural they sounded (I am using the word "natural" because "lifelike" or "accurate" seems to spark other debates. So natural sums it up quite well).

Anyway, back to the story, within a few weeks of buying the older B&W's I bought a pair of 801's. I started hearing things that I did not hear before on the horns, including hiss from my equipment. A system change later and speaker change too (I not have S800's) and here I am. The horns still sounded great, but there were things that the B&W's did that the horns did not do. Just my observation.

Now the Deja Vu and the reason that I started the thread. I read two threads so far from different users of the Palladiums and each user reported the exact experience that I had going from the already outstanding Heritage horns to the new speakers. I found that very interesting. Especially one member who won a pair of bookshelf Palladiums and planned to use them as surrounds with his RF7's. He said that he did not expect them to be any better than his RF7's so surrounds it is. He set them up as 2 channel and is floored. He definately was not biased thinking that the Palladiums were the cat's meow from the get go, until he heard them.

From the reports back I think that Klipsch has a winer here. Hopefully they will be accepted as a high end speakers by the "audiophile snob" community. The part that I really like is that many really expensive speakers need a lot of power, meaning that if you go with an expensive amp (Classe, Bryston, McIntosh, Levinson, etc.) you will be spending $10,000 or so to drive them. It looks like the Palladiums may get by with 100 wpc or so, which will cut that price in half or less. Nice touch. Reminds me of Eggleston, many say they are better than Wisons and they are very easy to drive.

This thread is not intended to start a debate of Heritage vs. Palladiums so please do not let it do so. Just some observations. I always recommend new Klipsch if someone is just getting into audio and has X to spend or if they want a great bargain on a 2 channel and have a little more to spend I steer them to Heritge. They are very hard to beat (if not impossible at their price point) and very exciting speakers. I don't meet many people (meaning never) who say "I have $30,000 to spend and want to get into audio."

My 2 cents.

Chris

PS - please keep this civil, I loved my Heritage speakers and would have been just as happy if I had kept them.

If Ford were like Klipsch, you'd still be able to buy a NEW '47 Woodie, or a '55 Crown Vic, or a 2009 Hybrid Edge. I'd say that's more product diversity than just about any company I can name.

That would be cool!!!!! I am very impressed with what has been done with the Heritage line. They could very easily have ditched it but instead revamped it and made it better than ever.

I wonder what the total sales of all Heritage speakers is? And how many of each would be interesting.

I spotted Klipsch on engadget the other day http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/13/klipsch-adds-six-models-to-its-palladium-speaker-lineup/

and http://www.techgadgets.in/home-entertainment/2008/09/klipsch-palladium-home-theater-speakers-p-38f-p-37f-p-17b-p-27c-p-27s-and-p-312w-introduced/

That's a nice Woody, but you realize that's a Fuel Injected Corvette sitting beside it, probably a FI 396 ...... Sweet !!!! Rare indeed ......

Sorry OB, the 396 or any big block Corvette for that matter never came with fuel injection. 283 and 327 only, 1957-65 [:)]

I believe they made a Fuel Injected 396 one year only, that's why it's rare ...................

Nope, never made a 396 FI (and don't listen to Springsteen sing about fuelie heads on a 396 in "Racing in the Streets"). The Boss is an awesome song writer, but he got that one wrong big time. There were no fuelie heads made for big blocks during that time. Chevy never sold any big block fuelies to the public during the 60's. There are rumors that a few were built for race and publicity purposes, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

I don't believe a word Bruce says ...................... When I drag raced back in the 60's with my 426 wedge Plymouth Savoy, I was wiped up by a 396 Fuelie Corvette 65 or 66 don't remember year, do remembered a$$ wooping I got , not once but twice !!!! Whatever, that is a Fuelie sitting beside that woody, not matter what size block ................

I can't find one listed with fuel injection on a 396 ................. So, I stand corrected !!!!!!!!

That is a fuelie for sure in the pic, as you can make out the fuel injection badge on the fender. A 327, 375hp fuelie Vette, with the right gearing might surprise a 426 wedge, but it wouldn't give you the a$$ wooping you describe. Perhaps one of those rare race Vettes made it to the track that day to take you on, or a very crafty mechanic adapted FI to 396. Either way, I bet you miss your Mopar.

I bet you miss your Mopar.

Sorta, it was what was called a Taxi Cab package, a Savoy 2 dr. with a 4 speed ............... if I had known then what I know now, I would never have sold it,but got drafted, and had no place to store it ................... I liked my vette better, I liked my 911 BEST ...........

I've seen threads hijacked, but this is extreme.

Didn't they make an FI version of the 348 and wasn't there a 396 version of that engine? I am going off of memory. Before the Mark IV Big Block they had the 348 and 396 but is was inefficient and Duntov would not let them put that "anchor" into his Vette. When the Mark IV came out he liked it but insisted on increasing it to 7 liters before they could put one in a Vette.