BEST SUBWOOFER DEAL EVER.

dkalsi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HP a High Pass filter?? You lost me there.

I was planning on running these from the bass management of mySunfire TG-IV and off my extra Sunfire amp channels (400 wpc) which I know is WAY below their max, but I REALLY don't plan to be overextending TWO subs this size against two Carver AL-III speakers...my goal is flat response to below 20hz, so these will only see duty below 40 Hz and neither should need to work very hard at all. They should be loafing....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is a high pass filter - and I think he is telling you that to avoid too low of freqs going to it and bottoming it out.

That's what I thought, but with the application I'm using, I don't see even coming CLOSE to bottoming them out. Maybe the SACD of the 1812 Overture at max volume...possibly....those cannons are BRUTAL!

Yes it is a high pass filter - and I think he is telling you that to avoid too low of freqs going to it and bottoming it out.

Bingo, it should be done anyway because you just never know. Drink to much and play it a bit to loud? Amp is set all the way, damn kids! Watching new overly boasted dvd? etc.

Any ported subwoofer using a driver with a alu cone MUST have a HP filter. Below tuning the driver is easy to bottom and you can ruin the driver(recone needed and try to find places that do recones of these now,with the stock look).

Even drivers using titanium cones can be damaged,if careless use is the norm. Any driver can be ruined by repetitive bottoming,just a matter of time.

Sealed subs you are much safer as the air pressure inside the cabinet goes up as the driver's excursion increases.A form of natural protection.

TN,

What amp do you use to power these subs?

Also like Mike pointed a great choice would be the QSC PLX series,I have the three most capable QSC PLX2 the 36XX on down and they would be an great match. As these amps deliver,deliver more where it counts than competing Crown or other makes.And are proven work horses.The fan noise if fine and the amps are built with high quality parts.

Arthur: I planned to run from a Sunfire Theater Grand IV processor out sub 1 & 2 into 2 unusd channels on a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp (400 wpc/8R) then to the subs (independent channel for each). Since this is for a 2 channel system only and the only other speakers I'm using are Carver AL-IIIs, I really didn't anticipate needing to drive these puppies very hard at all. They will supplement below 40 Hz for SACD, DVD & CD music only, no H/T.

Guest srobak

Ok - can I ask why you *wouldn't* use these beasts for HT? I mean - I like to jam 2ch to the heavens too - but to not use these for some serious LF would almost be a sin... no?