Onkyo Scepter 100 Horn Loaded Speakers?

Hifi jim

These came on Audiogon today, didn't ever imagine Onkyo making something like this. Owner thinks they were a VOT inspired product. A bit pricey for me, but I'm still saving for a nice set of Cornwalls. Anyone ever see or hear these?http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1222375532

Hifi jim,

Onkyo has been a global leader in loudspeaker transducer technology and speaker system design for decades. While many people are familiar with their electronics brand here in the U.S....what many do not know is that the company's speaker division which markets branded products in Japan and Asia, and OEM products (sold under other brand names) all over the world...is as large as the branded electronics division (or at least it used to be).

If you are driving a high-end GM or Toyota vehicle, you are probably listening to an ONKYO-designed and manufactured speaker system.

The Sceptor product was never sold in the U.S. so I am not sure how the seller came to be in possession of these. Perhaps he/she purchased them in Japan and brought them in. Some soldiers during the Vietnam war purchased Onkyo speakers in the various PX's and brought them home with them...but these are a little large to have been bought that way.

In any event, Onkyo speakers are excellent...although please be aware that they are voiced for the Asian sensibility. But still...excellent.

Welcome to the forum Ted and thanks for the info. I thought I was familiar with most vintage speakers the big name manufacturers made during that time period. I never knew Onkyo made speakers such as this, and I was more than a little surprised at the almost modern crossover that allows single, bi or tri wire or amping. Cool if you're into that sorta thing.

Thanks for the welcome.

Onkyo has made many innovative speakers. For several years, horn-loaded designs were extremely popular in Japan. At least partly, this was thanks to their clean, clear highs...and their incredible efficiency which gives a lot of bang for the buck in amp investment.

Onkyo has one of the most sophisticated R&D laboratories optimized for loudspeaker design in the world.

I am confident that these are fine...if a little dated...loudspeakers.

• 2 years later...

I owned Onkyo Scepter 10 (not 100). So, I agreee with Ted. The Onkyo Cop. had got some famous serial#, escepically are: Scepter 10, Scepter 300 & Scepter 500, all of them are floor type. Some other, bookself type is Scepter 1.

And, you'll ask me how about their sound? I'll take an example with my 3 systems that I've owned. However, I've just got 2500, 201, 2205, 7007 & scepter 10. The others was sold for a long time.

1- BeoVox M100 & Master 8000

2- Mc 2500, C34v, Mcd 201 & 4344

3- Onkyo Scepter 10 & Mc 2205 mono block, C29, Mcd 7007.

What's the most system I heard always? This is Scepter 10.