Wify says my Forte's have got to go!

aaron here

Oh well, they have served me well for 22 years... My wife is redecorating our living room and has already found an entertainment center (furniture only). The good news is that I can pick whichever speakers I like (to replace my Forte's) that will fit into her chosen entertainment center. She is even suggesting we take this opportunity to put a Home Theater together (being an old stereo addict, that got my juices flowing)!

Wishing to stay within the Klipsch line, either RB-81's or RB-61's will fit the areas slotted for front speakers inside the entertainment center, but the problem is that the designer of this piece of furniture only allocated an area 17" wide for the center-channel speaker so none the 'matching' Klipsch centers will fit. However, an RB-61 will fit (and fwiw I'm considering a pair of RB-51's for my surrounds and an RW-10d sub - to make a 5.1 system).

Given all of this, would you guys advise me to go with the RB-81's or RB-61's for my front main speakers???

Oh yeah, I should tell you that our living room is 18' x 16'. Please let me know if you need any more info...

My wife is redecorating our living room and has already found an entertainment center (furniture only). The good news is that I can pick whichever speakers I like (to replace my Forte's) that will fit into her chosen entertainment center. She is even suggesting we take this opportunity to put a Home Theater together (being an old stereo addict, that got my juices flowing)!

Wishing to stay within the Klipsch line, either RB-81's or RB-61's will fit the areas slotted for front speakers inside the entertainment center, but the problem is that the designer of this piece of furniture only allocated an area 17" wide for the center-channel speaker so none the 'matching' Klipsch centers will fit. However, an RB-61 will fit (and fwiw I'm considering a pair of RB-51's for my surrounds and an RW-10d sub - to make a 5.1 system).

Given all of this, would you guys advise me to go with the RB-81's or RB-61's for my front main speakers???

The good news?? I wouldn't exactly consider having to get
of one of the best Klipsch speakers ever made as good news, but that's
just me. [;)]

If you're able to fit an RB-61 as a center
speaker, I'd suggest doing that speaker all the way around. You'll
have a perfectly matched system side to side and front to back.

Oh well, they have served me well for 22 years...

How long you been married? [*-)]

Remind her how you don't go catting around the bars at night, since you love to come home and listen to your friends of 22 years....

You don't go catting around the bars at night, do you? [:o] [;)]

They have been running this add on Sirius radio (howard Stern channel) for Ashley Madison.com......... its an on line dating service ala match.com but for married people who want to hook up and cheat with other attached people (my suspicion is that most of the girls on it are pros)

Conversation with the wife:

wife...."those Cornwalls are an eyesore! do you really need those and K-horns and heresies and.....?"

me... " hey sweetie, what was that number for ashley Madison again???"[:D]

Harcort Finton Mudd!!! you no good, have you been out drinking again!!!

Aaaron here,

My guess is that at 22 years you have had the speakers longer than your wife?? The bible says the man is the spiratual head of the household. God gave you a pair for a reason!! Why don't we try and use them for a change ehh? This is exactly how California got into the political eyesore that it is. I have been married for 19 years, and if someone is going to lay the law down, it is going to be me, period!!

JMO... Roger

I'm sure others will chime in but speakers in a cabinet sound terrible IMO.

Oh no, please tell me you're joking! - I can kind of understand that when speakers are ported to the rear, but both the 81's and 61's are front-ported, so why would that be? [:^)]

I'll be honest right off the bat. You cannot by any means allow the new speaker choice to be confined to your given parameters (i.e. fitting inside an entertainment unit). You just can't man! Try a sly approach. Try shooting for top-end Klipsch reference that have a very high WAF. An RF-83 is a great example although they are a deep speaker. Try and see if the furniture will match either the cherry or black oak. Or, you could shoot for RF-7s since they are being sold for great prices right now. If you gun really hard for those that will be your new standard, as opposed to bookshelf speaks in a cabinet. Then when you compromise you maybe at an RF-5 or something like that, you get the picture. I've done this before. Also, if you really want to sweetin the deal take her in for a demo the the 83s at a good local dealer with the full surround setup. I took my wife to an excellent dealer with the RF-83s, RC-64, -62s, and a JL f112 and we watched "House of a 1000 daggers" and she crapped her pants. We crapped together. It was the most romantic thing we had ever done. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you got to preserve the ball sack. You might lose one nut in battle but you've got to do whatever it takes to keep the second (or third if you have an anomalous anatomy). You've got to work trixy. Best of luck!

Aaron here,

I am not saying that I would not be willing to compromise with the wife, she wants surround sound and it sounds as if you do too. 16' by 18' is plenty big enough for 4 Forte' speakers, an Acadamy center channel, and the sub woofer of your choice, and as a good husband, I would be willing to send all of those speakers to 928GTS on this forum, and have all the speakers reveneered and stained to perfectly match the wooden entertainment center just to keep her happy!![;)]

Roger

Guest srobak

There... I fixed your subject line.

Hell no would be my response. Just because she doesn't appreciate the sound doesn't mean you don't get to, especially after that many years. Tell her they can go right after about 60 of the 78 pairs of shoes, 12 of the 22 purses and handbags, and the half closet of dresses and outfits she hasn't worn or fit into for the last 10 years.

If not - ditch the wife, keep the tunes...

Or - show up with Khorns.

...I notice from your avatar your speakers are in the garage...Wink

Bill

Bill,

Those are TSCM Pro Cornerhorns. I have klipschorns with a LaScala center and two Velodyne HGS-18IIs in the house for my surround system. I just made a deal to get four more K-260 horns to try to build an all TSCM surround system. By the way, the K-260 midrange horn has a manifold that attaches 4 K-55 drivers to each horn. I am not building this system by compromising for WAF.

Roger

9158_1.JPG

DSC01818.JPGDSC01818.JPGDSC01818.JPG

...I notice from your avatar your speakers are in the garage...Wink

Bill

Bill,

Those are TSCM Pro Cornerhorns. I have klipschorns with a LaScala center and two Velodyne HGS-18IIs in the house for my surround system. I just made a deal to get four more K-260 horns to try to build an all TSCM surround system. By the way, the K-260 midrange horn has a manifold that attaches 4 K-55 drivers to each horn. I am not building this system by compromising for WAF.

Roger

9158_1.JPG

DSC01818.JPGDSC01818.JPGDSC01818.JPG

Roger...I was just teasin...I guess the humor fell short...think I'll stick to the day job...[:D]

Bill

• Moderators

If not - ditch the wife, keep the tunes...

It's no wonder that 1 out of 2 marriages end in divorce. I just never realized it was due to speaker fights. [:P]

I would try the give and take approach. Ask her what is it worth to her to let you keep them or get something else that would suit your needs. My wife is pretty much getting anything she wants right now because I know that I will be putting a bundle into the dedicated theater room once our house is built. Works for me. [:D]