Pair of Heresys as a Center Channel

entomologist2004

OK, I just scored a set of Heresy 1's to compliment my Cornwall /Forte Surround system (TG1/Mac 2100 driven). My problem is that aesthetically one Heresy looks terrible sitting on my entertainment center and two look like they just belong. What is the feasability of running both as a center channel in series or using a splitter on my Sunfire TG1 center output and using both L/R off the amp (should be the same mono signal through both) I figure I can control the balance with the gain knob on the amp... I know folks have run into this, also shielding tips on these. They are 15"s from the TV so, but closer to 5 from the Preamp and that much magnet cant really be a good thing.... I have not purchased a third 2100 yet so options are stillopen if that would have a hard time with stability running in series (2 ohms??).... Any help would be great! Walt in Eureka, CA

Run them in parallel, plus to plus, minus to minus, from one speaker to the other. You should be able to balance them to the other speakers by using the preamp. There is no need to split the output. I run two Heresy the same way and agree that two are nicer looking than one. Enjoy.

Frank

. What is the feasability of running both as a center channel in series or using a splitter on my Sunfire TG1 center output and using both L/R off the amp (should be the same mono signal through both)

That's what I would do... run them off an external amplifier.

Two
speakers might look nicer than one, but might not sound as goos as one
due to comb filtering effects. You might want to try unhooking the mid
and tweeter from one of the speakers, running only the woofer. The
extra bass shouldn't hurt the Heresy and you will avoid comb filtering
effects.

psg,

You are correct that comb filtering will occur, but your picture shows the effects of a single steady frequency. In use for vocals and music, a single frequency does not last long enough to notice it, at least in my experience. I also use a pair of Heresy's laying on their sides (tweeter to tweeter) for the center channel that sounds great. Not as great as the pair of LaScalas I used to have there, but this room is not wide enough for that.

psg,

You are correct that comb filtering will occur, but your picture shows the effects of a single steady frequency.

Absolutely. It would be hard to display anything more complicated.

Is it noticeable? I don't know. I don't notice anything bad when I sit in the sweet spot of my Klipschorns and listen to stereo music, and the lead vocals are a mono signal. The two sources from the Klipschorns also do comb filtering, yet it all sounds good to me. Yet, for the twin-speaker center, it might be worth unplugging the tweeter from one speaker (be sure not to short it), listenning, and then also unplugging the mid horn and listenning again.