WHA WHA WHA WHAT ?!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest srobak

And at least for the most part, Americans are able to defend themselves. Canadians however - as of October 1, 1998 - no longer have that ability.

And at least for the most part, Americans are able to defend themselves. Canadians however - as of October 1, 1998 - no longer have that ability.

If that homicidal maniac was able to get a gun, how many more would have died?

Here in our city of 300,000, we had the first murder of the year in mid-July, committed by a possible gang member from the mainland. He was arrested within minutes, after being pointed out by many witnesses.

Guest srobak

Islander - prior to The Great Confiscation - CA had some of the most in depth background checks in the world for firearms ownership. The only way he would likely have been able to get one is the same way he could have gotten one today - illegaly.

Stormin> I thought exactly the same... even if I wasn't packing, I woulda tore after the guy. There were 37 other people on the bus. A handful could have easily overwhelmed him and suffered only minor injuries at worst. As disturbed as I am by the original act, I am MORE disturbed by the people's failure to act. And you wonder why I support concealed carry...

No way to tell for sure, but by the time anyone could react I'll bet that the victim was either already dead or as good as dead. If the attacker isn't going after anyone else, are you going to risk getting your belly slit open to rescue a corpse?

added: As far as CCW goes, I just heard that two people on the bus were armed. It might've been just too crazy on a crowded and panicked bus to use a gun.

Islander - prior to The Great Confiscation - CA had some of the most in depth background checks in the world for firearms ownership. The only way he would likely have been able to get one is the same way he could have gotten one today - illegaly.

Stormin> I thought exactly the same... even if I wasn't packing, I woulda tore after the guy. There were 37 other people on the bus. A handful could have easily overwhelmed him and suffered only minor injuries at worst. As disturbed as I am by the original act, I am MORE disturbed by the people's failure to act. And you wonder why I support concealed carry...

What Great Confiscation? Maybe I'm out of the loop, since I don't know any Canadians with guns. On the other hand, almost everyone I know in California has one. Before I moved out West, I considered moving to Florida or California, but it appeared that having a gun there was like having a snow shovel in most of Canada, a necessary fact of life. That was a good enough reason for me to stay north of the border. Those states are also too sunny for a pale guy like me.

As for trying to stop the crazed killer on the bus, I also wondered why no-one tried to intervene to save the victim, but we weren't there. It's easy to say what we would have done had we been there, but it's impossible to know. As Sputnik pointed out, it might well have been too late. The poor man had probably already been stabbed half a dozen times or more before the other passengers realized what was happening. The story was the top item on the news and one of the passengers who was seated nearby thought at first that it was a fistfight, since he could only see the killer's arms moving from where he was. Then he saw the large "Rambo-style hunting knife", as he described it. It was certainly a horrible tragedy.

You can't carry a handgun in Canada... sorry.. even if you do transport it, you have to have a permit and a lock box... with ammo in a seperate lock box.

Yeah, that bit I heard about people on the bus having guns may just be an internet rumor.

Who really knows how'd they'd really react unless in the same situation. I have no doubt Srobak would've stepped in to help but he's trained in such things and knows what to do. And it's true it may have been too late by the time anyone noticed - but maybe not. I'd hope I'd find something to whack the assailant with or somehow at least try to subdue him. I'd rather save the corpse than find out later I could've saved his life I think.

Where's the nice little old lady with the heavy purse when you need her? Grandma would've beat the crap out of him.

Guest srobak

Islander> By 2001 ALL handgun owners in Canada had to turn in their weapons, and in several locales the police knocked on the doors of registered owners prior to that date to confiscate the known and registered weapons. There were reports that illegal searches were conducted as well, once the doors were opened - in order to obtain any illegal or un-registered handguns. In the years following this - B&E crimes in Canada rose 25%, surpassing the US rate. As well - the homicide rate increased over the next 5 years. Around 1920, before there was any form of gun control, their homicide rate was 7% of the U.S rate. By 1986, and after significant gun control legislation, Canada’s homicide rate was 35% of the U.S. rate – a significant increase. In 2003, Canada had a violent crime rate more than double that of the U.S. (963 vs. 475 per 100,000).