The great capacitor shoot-out

psg

• Moderators

This is interesting also........

" XLO test & Burn-In CDAlthough we were initially skeptical, it soon became apparent that capacitors need various burn-in times to reach their full sonic potential. Since the VCap TFTF had the longest recommended burn-in of 400 hours, we used that as a benchmark for all of the candidates"

I am pretty skeptical about their ability to hear their claimed sonic differences between the caps, especially ones of similar design. I like the "and the panel was generally unaware of which cap they were listening to at any given time" line, which I read as "we were periodically given little clues so we didn't look like a bunch of audiophools."

Check this site out as well!

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

I am using the Duelund VSF copper in the midrange of my Forte's and feel its the best cap that I have ever heard!

Its extremely natural very dynamic, heads above the Mundorf Silver/gold MKP I previously was using its everything that Tony Gee at Humble Homemade Hifi says it is IMO.

I haven't heard Teflon but I'd like to.

A pair of Duelunds set me back $250 on sale at

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsFilm.html

Absolutely worth every penny!

SET12

Check this site out as well!

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

I am using the Duelund VSF copper in the midrange of my Forte's and feel its the best cap that I have ever heard!

Its extremely natural very dynamic, heads above the Mundorf Silver/gold MKP I previously was using its everything that Tony Gee at Humble Homemade Hifi says it is IMO.

I haven't heard Teflon but I'd like to.

A pair of Duelunds set me back $250 on sale at

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsFilm.html

Absolutely worth every penny!

SET12

They have a very favorable review of Clarity Caps. About the same price of Solen but smoother. I used the PX Series (pretty inexpensive) in an old pair of B&W's and they just bloom. My new favorite caps, for the price it is hard to go wrong. They should work very well in Klipsch.

They have a very favorable review of Clarity Caps. About the same price of Solen but smoother. I used the PX Series (pretty inexpensive) in an old pair of B&W's and they just bloom. My new favorite caps, for the price it is hard to go wrong. They should work very well in Klipsch.

Yes, They do and a good choice!

I love Body!

SET12

The Parts Connexion site is good for several horse laffs... like the cap with gold "which gives this capacitor more precision combined with a sense of harmony and elegance"

So, the 'trons feel more elegant swimming through gold? Or do the owners get to proudly point at their crossovers and say 'There's gold in them there caps!"

and, their stablemates that claim "even fuller and smoother tonal richness and diversity". The engineers must have been reading the HR manual that day. What's next, a capcitor that comes with its own affirmative action plan?

I just purchased some of the PX series for my AA's. Had to do some creative math to get the values to work, and my crossover is going to have 6 caps on each one :) I will let you know how it sounds, I already know it will look like a mess with all of the parallel caps everywhere.

The Parts Connexion site is good for several horse laffs... like the cap with gold "which gives this capacitor more precision combined with a sense of harmony and elegance"

So, the 'trons feel more elegant swimming through gold? Or do the owners get to proudly point at their crossovers and say 'There's gold in them there caps!"

and, their stablemates that claim "even fuller and smoother tonal richness and diversity". The engineers must have been reading the HR manual that day. What's next, a capcitor that comes with its own affirmative action plan?

Not at all, Its about looking for your tonal bliss. Much like one choosing an amplifier. Each componet does have an audible signature as do inductors like the high quailty Solens which I recently tried. They had a measured Q factor four times higher. But just because the science says their better doesn't mean their better at all subjectively it just means the measurement is better and I certainly respect that. But I found that when it was inserted to replace my North Creek inductor it sounded just plain harsh. I went back to the North Creek within minutes and it was substantially smoother and just flat out sounded right.

Even the Mundorf Silver/Gold Cap I was told by the manufacture that it could come across as being a little over the top in some applications the manufacture was right. But it doesn't mean that it wouldn't work in another system.

Its a lot of fun to do voicing with various caps without having to change amps and other associated gear to maximize the sound that one wants and can profoundly change by substituting and listening.

Its been very much worth the effort and because of my efforts I have been rewarded with a speaker that is competitive with the Palladium's in regards to my needs and desires. And I have found there is no single solution with any brand of cap but what works for you!

To investigate this area of sound quality I built this outboard network that allows me to change any component in a matter of minutes preserving some of my memory of the previous componets sound.

URL%5Dsd530025el3.jpg

The nice thing also about the Forte 1is its relatively simple network and its componet values are reasonably low allowing me to try out many more manufactures.

SET12

I like well made capacitors, but the long drawn out descriptions that are applied to them by audiophiles and vendors are absurd.

All you need to know about capacitors is too make sure you don't use what Bob uses, and to use what I use. :)

I like well made capacitors, but the long drawn out descriptions that are applied to them by audiophiles and vendors are absurd.

All you need to know about capacitors is too make sure you don't use what Bob uses, and to use what I use. :)

5 yrs ago I took a chance with the Hovlands a very well designed cap which needed hrs and hrs of break in time as well as being by passed with some Polystyrenes made them listenable.

I wasn't aware of Humble Homemade Hifi then but if I had I'd likely would of made a better choice. I'm very grateful for his work!

Reading his discription one can clearly deduct some thoughts on its possible success.

It surely was the wrong cap in my system.

And as he said it can do wonders else where!

I have enjoyed the cap voicing as it has allowed me to really hone in system tuning in a big way.

When one spends hrs of listening the effect of what might be called a mole hill ends up being a mountain with enough listening so much so that any change is immediately reconizable to me anyway.

I have four areas for caps I can work with. My amps for overall which only use 1 cap, The bass, The mids and the highs which I have found these areas very sensitive to cap choices IMO and when it comes to the inductors all have been very sensitive.

The neat thing is if you have electronics that you basically like and they are expensive and don't want to part with them it is possible to tune the system using caps to more of your liking. Example I have a $2000 CD player kind of vintage now but is very well made ! And I heard a $10,000 CD player that I marveled at once for its sound quality and thought I'd like to have. But thats not the case now!

For some a cap is a cap as long as they measure good!

The degree of what one wants from their system is the real dictator.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with a simple refresh with just good quality parts after 20 yrs of use or the pursuit of specific tonal character as in my case.

So its about good enough! Or not good enough! IMO

But when I can mod a pair of Forte's to sing on a level that doesn't have me chasing Palladiums after I heard them, I consider the absurd $1500 I spent on these networks a real success!

SET12

It would be nice to have a frequency response graph of each poster's actual hearing capability listed under each post to provide some kind of data to see why they chose the components in their system. Example: If a posters hearing response is 100hz to 5000khz then I can see why he chose Bose for his speakers.

JJK

It would be nice to have a frequency response graph of each poster's actual hearing capability listed under each post to provide some kind of data to see why they chose the components in their system. Example: If a posters hearing response is 100hz to 5000khz then I can see why he chose Bose for his speakers.

JJK

Thats funny I like that!

Recently my buddy was here conducting some measurements on my Fortes and when we got to 12khz he clearly could not hear it! It was as plain as day to me!

Well! I guess that explains why he uses his treble control to the extent that he does!

SET12

• 3 years later...

JJK

Good or even average hearing ability in my opinion has little to do with appreciation of good sound, or evaluation of the items in the chain used to make the sound. If it did young people wouldn't use the lowfi junk that is popular and older people would not collect fine systems. My own hearing stinks, but I have little trouble negotiating the snake oil slicked path to good sound.

Crossovers are a great place to try some things, so I thought I would post in this old thread to see what people are using when upgrading crossovers. I'm thinking of some ERO MKP caps for my Heresy I to get my feet wet.

Guest David H

I'm thinking of some ERO MKP caps for my Heresy I to get my feet wet.

I would suggest the use of a decent poly cap. I typially use Dayton capaciors from www.partsexpress.com

Bob Crites has capacitor kits availble that use Sonicaps.

Enjoy, Dave

"I'm thinking of some ERO MKP caps for my Heresy I to get my feet "

Vishay (ERO) make some nice polypropylene caps, give them a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-2uF-160V-VISHAY-ERO-MKP-1845-Polypropylene-Caps-/350393692270

$10 including shipping to refurb a pair of Heresy networks!

(takes a while to show up)

Those are the ones I bought, cheap adventure, plus looks to be a nice cap.

Technical specifications (according to manufacturer): “The dielectric is polypropylene film, the electrodes consist of an extremely thin metal coating obtained by vacuum evaporation. Case and cover are made with self-extinguishing plastic material; the capacitive element is sealed with polyurethane resin. The main characteristics of these capacitors are: Low losses non-inductive winding; Self-healing property avoiding short circuits; Small size and limited weight; No leakage risk; Capacitance tolerance: ± 5%; Working frequency range: 50 ÷ 60 Hz; Individual test voltage: Between terminals: 2.15 Vn for 2 sec.; between terminals and case: 3KV for 2 sec; Dissipation factor tan δ: <20 10–4@ 20°C V=Vn, 50Hz; Protection Case and cover in self – extinguishing plastic material; Terminals: twin cable, unipolar leads; Protection degree: with terminals: IP00; with twin cable IP55; Threaded fixing bolt M8”

Sound: This industrial type capacitor (like the ASC and Inco) is quite nice! They sound a bit dull at first because they take a while to burn-in. But after a few days of normal use they deliver a reasonably wide and open sound stage. Nice and neutral, maybe a slightly warm sound. One of those things that don’t impress at first but sort of grow on you after a while, you learn to appreciate their qualities – great! Not the ultimate in sound staging or micro-detail and if you want a lively and bright sounding filter then this is not your cap. But if you are looking for a smooth, warm and relaxed sound then give these a try.

that is the test of ducati caps

sounds good in my klipschorns type a 4500hz crossovers

[:)]