New to me 1976 Klipschorns

wilbucd

So I finally got a pair of Khorns. 1976 models. Freshly refinished and they look really nice in the room. I have wanted a pair of these since 1990 when I discovered them while buying a pair of KG-4's. I have used Technics, Onkyo, Sony and Adcom equipment on the KG-4's and have always been impressed with the sound. While I have always noticed that some recordings sound much better than others I have never really noticed any music sounding unpleasant on the KG-4's. I can't say the same for the Khorns.

I have had some cd's sound truly incredible such as Clapton's Unplugged album. The Khorns have brought out parts of that cd which I have never really heard. Especially the tightness of the kick drum. Other music I have actually turned off because it was not pleasing to hear.

Several people on this board warned me before buying them that the Khorns were extremely revealing and that my current Adcom GFA-555 was not a good match for Khorns. I told myself surely they would sound at least as good as the KG-4's until I can decide on a replacement amp. Well, the quality recordings do sound good but anything less is somewhat disappointing.

So now I'm looking at my current options around the house. The Adcom GFA-555 is fine for the moment. I have also tried a vintage Pioneer SX-727 from the bedroom. It didn't offer anything better or worse than the Adcom so it goes back to the bedroom. I have an older Onkyo Pro Logic receiver lying dormant that used to sound really nice with the KG-4's. I may try that just for kicks.

I have two options that I am interested in that I have read about on this forum. Some recommended the QSC PLX 1202 but that leaves me looking for a preamp. I don't imagine the Adcom GFP-565 preamp would mate well with the PLX 1202......or would it?

The other option I am interested in is the Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver. Some on this board have spoken highly of it and it seems reasonably priced. I'm sure I will list the Adcom amp, preamp and tuner on EBay or Craigslist to offset the cost.

I'm open to other suggestions for improvement. The Khorns have not been modified or upgraded. They are as they were new. I know some suggest a crossover refresh but I hesitate to do that before I get an amp/receiver that I am going to stick with. They are also placed at 24' apart corner to corner. That is four feet more than Klipsh recommends for proper staging and a third speaker in the middle is not an option.

Congratulations on the Klipschorns. They are a very nice speaker.

I would not dismiss the Adcom GFA555 so quickly. It is actually a fine amp for that price point. If you are ambitious, then search the threads at Audio Asylum or DIYAudio regarding adding bypass caps on the big power supply caps. It only costs $5-10 and is easily performed. It will provide a cleaner bass.

Personally, I would spend the next several months simply listening to the speakers and adjusting their (and the listener's chair) placement. Certainly, be sure to get them snug into a pair of corners. Save the "amp stuff" for later.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I agree with PrestonTom.....new amps are always nice (I constantly have upgradeitis ) but I find that with my Klipschorns, even my $100 sansui special sounds great as long as i have good sources and source material...... Thats what I'm concentrating on now and it has been well worth it.

Congrats on getting the best speakers in the world!!!! enjoy

Congrats. '76 was a great year for Khorns!!

You should get some good crossovers first IMO. You will eventually do so anyway and if you want to play with gear, you might as well know what you're up against. Personally, I wasn't entirely happy with my Khorns until I upgraded to Dean's ALK Jr. crossovers. After hearing those (and they are only slightly up the crossover food chain, price-wise), I could never go back to stock crossovers, even newly refreshed versions (I tried). You'll need to do some research here but there's plenty available. Good luck!

I would enjoy replacing the crossover caps with new ones. Can someone offer some part numbers or name brands?
Bob Crites is your man

bobcrites@mac.com

BEC on this forum...great guy and great to deal with...no-nonsense.

Probably the single most cost effective "upgrade" for the vintage Klipschorn is new caps. Talk to Bob also about using the CT-125 tweeters. After caps, that tweeter will also make a distinct (read that as good....) difference. Best of luck and enjoy them!!!

Talk to Bob also about using the CT-125 tweeters. After caps, that tweeter will also make a distinct (read that as good....) difference.

That's a matter of opinion. Myself and a number of others on the forum prefer the stock K-77. IMO, the K-77 has that live/gritty sound that made me fall in love with Klipsch Heritage speakers in the first place. Many folks here love Bob's CT-125's and I admit when I first tried them, I thought they were an improvement. After a few days however, I realized something was missing, went back to the K-77s and sold the CT-125s. Definitely worth a try though and you can always sell the ones you don't use. First replace those caps!!

Dollar for Dollar, if 2 channel is your only concern, and you are not against Solid State, you will be hard pressed to do any better than the OUTLAW RR2150 ........... that's alot of bang for the dollar ....... AND, you have 30 Days to return it for FULL purchase price for ANY, I mean ANY reason, not liking the sound included, no questions asked, that's pretty darn good. If you get one and return it, let me know, I'll buy it for their "B" price. Take a couple of minutes and check it out, notice the features it has, plus a remote .............. I think they are a good deal ... www.outlawaudio.com ... probably my next purchase ............

I will again rely on my own personal experience.

The biggest improvement I got with my K-Horns was correctly locating them in my room (and re-arranging some furniture and carpet). For me this came after some hours of experimentation and I found out, as others also had, that placement along the long wall with he listening chair at a +/- 45 deg angle to the face of the cabinet was the best (IOW, on-axis and without the chair immediately against a wall). This is zero cost other than time.

The second biggest improvement was using pipe foam (search the threads) to get a tight seal into the corners (and this is not just for the lowest frequencies). This was about $15.

The third biggest improvement was refreshing the caps on the crossover. This was about $25.

The fourth biggest improvement was playing around with different SS amps (in the $200-500 price range -used prices- I had several "laying around").

So I guess you may not need to pull out the checkbook to get pretty good sound.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Klipschorns are very very very revealing. What you put on in regards to source material is what you get out. You have to just enjoy some music warts and all but when I put on quality recordings it is special.

My 1978 Khorns are almost completely rebuilt. The biggest improvements for me were new A type crossovers and Crites cast frame woofers. I also had the tweeter diaphrams replaced. Next is the K55.They sound so much better than they did when I brought them home.

I will again rely on my own personal experience.

The biggest improvement I got with my K-Horns was correctly locating them in my room (and re-arranging some furniture and carpet). For me this came after some hours of experimentation and I found out, as others also had, that placement along the long wall with he listening chair at a +/- 45 deg angle to the face of the cabinet was the best (IOW, on-axis and without the chair immediately against a wall). This is zero cost other than time.

The second biggest improvement was using pipe foam (search the threads) to get a tight seal into the corners (and this is not just for the lowest frequencies). This was about $15.

The third biggest improvement was refreshing the caps on the crossover. This was about $25.

The fourth biggest improvement was playing around with different SS amps (in the $200-500 price range -used prices- I had several "laying around").

So I guess you may not need to pull out the checkbook to get pretty good sound.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I agree! Later you can do the more expensive upgrades.