Strange Happenings In Our House...

ChrisK

After dinner last night I went to my "listening room" (converted separate dining room) to listen to some music as my wife and 7yo son went to the den to watch TV. About 5 minutes later my son strolls in and asks "can we listen to that 'I've got a man who's always late song'"? After figuring out he ment Diana Krall's "Is you is or is you ain't my baby" I said sure and put it on. A couple more strange 7yo requests later ("VooDoo"/Sonny Rollins Memorial Quartet, Garth Brooks, David Benoit too name a few) my wife strolls in and makes a request also. Suddenly it hits me...It's 8:00pm on a Friday night...Nobody's watching TV? (Even though the Lakers were on.) What's going on here? We listened for about an hour or so and it was a blast.

I put together my...er, ah, excuse me...our stereo system piece by piece over the last few months. And what started as "Dad's weird obsession" has turned into a source of enjoyment for everyone in the house. Even my 17yo daughter has asked to put on a couple of her cd's. Funny thing, the standard 17yo music these days sounds so crappy compared to other better recorded faire, even she has started listening to "new" music.

Am I being too warm and fuzzy here? Has something like this happened to anyone else? Or am I just losing it and trying to justify the time and money spent?

------------------

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR700 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCR

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

This message has been edited by cjk1026 on 01-26-2002 at 08:27 AM

Being a dad myself, I say no, you're not being too warm and fuzzy. Those "magical" times as a family can be few and far between (for some of us), and must be cherished, and celebrated. We men tend to hide alone in our caves. "Just trying to get some peace and quiet." Well, you can have plenty of peace and quiet after the kids have left home, and your wife is at the quilt group with her pals.

I just last night got the Cornwalls tempoarily set up in the living room (finally got the tweeters repaired). Its 7:10 AM here. My girls (age 10 and 13) got up before 6 to make birthday breakfast for Mom. Right now, though, they're diggin' Lyle Lovett on the Cornwalls. And they don't even care that the cd is playing on a walkman (Panasonic SL-S231C), fed into a '70's solid state receiver (Sansui 4000), into the Cornwalls via the crappiest teeny weeny speaker wires you could imagine (can't find a part number on these...).

cwm1.gif

Gotta go...the kids might have a job for me...

fini

cjk1026,

Let me guess - your name is Ward Cleaver & your wife is June. Just kidding. As fini says - enjoy those "magical" times & cherish the moments. My oldest daughter(22) is out the door & her sister(19) is about 2 or 3 steps behind. Enjoy the kids while you can - they grow up too fast. As for my wife - she just doesn't get HT or quality a/v equipment. She's content with a boom box (although she has graduated from cassettes to cds).

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 01-26-2002 at 11:47 AM

I ended up having to down size a little and went from two systems to one. My wife is home schooling the kids and we had to make more room for 'stuff'.

So I sold some stuff, upgraded to the RF7's and moved everything upstairs.

When I get home from work, Temple, my 18 month old daughter - grabs me by my finger and pulls me around the dining room table and starts pointing up the stairs. "uh", "uh", she says - which I assume means 'up'.

She now gets upstairs and knows which buttons on the CD player starts the music. She recently figured out how to skip tracks.

Her favorite CD is Tears for Fears.

There is simply no greater pleasure for me than watching her sway back and forth to the music. It's like watching a living music box.

------------------

deanG

One Answer:

Cary 300sei Single-Ended Triode 300B amp

1978 Klipsch Cornwalls

If you went to vinyl, there would be

no turning back.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I know exactlywhat you guys are talking about.My wife used to give me the look whenever I'd bring something new into the house for my system,but ever since we had our daughter its a different story.Stefanie is now 15 months old and from the beginning LOVED music (must have been all the classical my wife played for her while in the womb)Whenever Dad starts up the system she drops everything and comes-a-runnin'into the room with a smile ear to ear!

She likes to dance around the room in circles moving to the beat of the music while my wife and I watch.I usually leave the cabinet door open but she has figured out how to change the cd player and is now working on the other components.

The taste of music has changed-she now likes Dads hard and heavy rock as well as Moms Country.

This my friends is the best form of Home Theater!

Jeff

Read his post again. See the underlying point

and change. Suddenly, his family is asking to

hear their music... Why? The music was always

there. Now he has something that conveys it

in such a way as to make them crave hearing it;

the change is the system that brings them

closer.

I would agree. Ultimately, it should always be

the music and it is to a certain extent. But

in this instance, his new two channel system

brings THE MUSIC to life. What is the main

difference?

The supremely intimate Cary SET integrated and

his magical 78 vintage Cornwalls.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-26-2002 at 02:14 PM

Jesus, Tom! You have 4 grown kids? I assumed you were in your mid 30s for some reason. Why I dont exactly know. Lordy. At least you have 4 kids that LIKE music. I just got married two years ago so 4 kids seems a ways off. By the time I have a kid and he or she reaches puberty, they'll be pushing me around in a wheel chair...

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-27-2002 at 09:56 AM

quote:

Originally posted by cjk1026:

Am I being too warm and fuzzy here? Has something like this happened to anyone else? Or am I just losing it and trying to justify the time and money spent?

Congratulations that you are instilling in your kids an appreciation of music. This is something that they will continue to enjoy throughout thier lives. What a wonderful gift to give and in the scheme of things it has not been that expensive.

------------------

Bill J.

My Music System

Mobile---Yeah, I'm 53. My youngest kid just turned 20, she's a sophomore down at the U of I. I've 2 more years to take care of her then I can retire. The other kids are on their own. My 3rd kid, a 23 year old daughter, was a History major at U of I and will finish Law School at UW-Madison this spring, she's marrying a nice Irish kid from Joliet who was also a History major at U of I. This is the time when kids are really fun; you can have interesting conversation with them about books, history and music; they can help you out with things and you don't have to see them all the time. My two oldest are sons and both followed me in my trade and went through the apprenticeship, we're all out on the same job now, I'm the Union steward, one kid went out as a rigger and the other a welder, it's nice to work with your kids.

A couple of weeks ago at our Chicago Horn Club meeting one of the guys showed up with his father, a man in his 70s who's been into hi-fi since the 50s. That was really nice.