Just Average is ok for me

paragon33

I have been given the go ahead from the better half to update the audio. Currently I have a Yamaha HTR-5140 and a JBL home theater in a box setup. The JBL's were ok, but the sub and 3 of the 5 satellites died some time ago. This is my 3 step plan for updating:

RVX-42 for R/C/L

RSX-4's rear surround Maybe 5's. I really wanna hear the rears too.

RW-10d Sub

I can get all this shipped for just barely under 1 grand. After that dust settles I'd like to upgrade the receiver to a Yamaha RX-V1800. Mainly for the auto setup of the speaker settings. Then early next year go with the LCD. Samsung LN46A650.

I know sound is subjective and everyones ears are different. But does this setup seem to work well with themselves? As far as the speakers go. I"m hoping its an improvement over the JBL box setup. And that was fine for my ears, till they started dying. I don't have alot of money and going for the best bang for the buck. Some systems I read in here have to be 10 to 15 grand. I don't need anything like that.

The room dimensions are approx 12 x 20. I can photobucket pictures if needed.

some probably are that much. Lots of others are composed of used heritage or "extended" heritage for much less, but sound like 15g's. Can't really help you on your specific choices because i haven't heard'em. But I can tell you that an all Forte II system can be had for 1500 or less. But your wife will have to like the sound and not worry about the floor space.

That was my exactly my last setup from Klipsch. Very happy with sound quality and passed the WAF very well. Very dynamic and musical for a system of that size. Only upgraded to my current system because of great deal on RF-63's(1000.00/pair delivered). When I replace the RSX-4's with RS-52's for the surrounds in the family room, the master bedroom will get the complete 5.1 RVX-42 system. As far as bettering your JBL box system, you will not regret the purchase.

Bill

Mainly for the auto setup of the speaker settings

Keep in mind a $35 spl meter from Radio Shack will do a better job of setting spks to the same level.
You have a choice of KG4's(2 way)Quartets,Forte, even Heresy for say a 5.1 system, and using the spl meter mentioned for setup, you may hear your existing Yamaha sounding better than ever, than the box set JBL's thereby postponing your Yamaha purchase. May even decide enough bass with this setup, thereby postponing sub purchase.

Do some research here. Archives are loaded w/info.

Keep in mind a $35 spl meter from Radio Shack will do a better job of setting spks to the same level.
You have a choice of KG4's(2 way)Quartets,Forte, even Heresy for say a 5.1 system, and using the spl meter mentioned for setup, you may hear your existing Yamaha sounding better than ever, than the box set JBL's thereby postponing your Yamaha purchase. May even decide enough bass with this setup, thereby postponing sub purchase.

Do some research here. Archives are loaded w/info.

Agree completely

If you are willing to hold out and buy patiently you can build an amazing all Heritage theater for under a grand. I personally have bought a pair of Cornwall II's, Heresy II's, and a pair of Heresy's, for a total of $750. I was just very patient with my purchases.

I don't know much about the setup that you are considering but it seems good. One thing to bear in mind regarding putting together a heritage system is that the speakers mentioned KG-4, cornwalls, hereseys, etc, are all much bigger speakers than what you are looking at. Not sure what you design plan is or what level of WAF you need to adhere to but bear that in mind. My space is pretty limited and I started with the KG-4s and they ended up back upstairs as they took up too much real estate. I have Kg-1, Kg.5, and a KG2.2 all paired with an ultracube sub and it sounds great. The only point of contention with the wife is the 2.2 center channel.

Someday I will post pictures, but I still have lots of finish trim in the room left to do!

Chris

Heresies, whether original, IIs or IIIs, are about the size of a medium microwave oven standing on its side, and about the same weight. I'm using one for a center and two for surrounds, making it a 5.1 system, replacing a Paradigm 7.1 setup with much smaller surrounds.

If you don't mind buying used and are willing to be patient, you can put together a fine system for an affordable price. I got the second pair of Heresy IIs for a great price from a guy who needed the money to help pay for the La Scalas he had just bought.

With Heritage Series speakers, the sound is great, if the large size is not an issue. I always thought La Scalas were huge, until I got a pair and had them for some time. They somehow seem to shrink after a while. La Scalas are the size of a typical washing machine and sound excellent.

The RS meter can be really handy, but it won't help you set the delay for all the speakers, nor the EQ if any is necessary. Of course, if you have timbre-matched speakers, like all from the same series, you likely won't need to do any equalizing.