Need Help - Fini!!! (or anybody else that knows their stuff)

alliclaytor

Fini/anybody that can help,

I tried email/pm to no avail...maybe I messed it up. In any case, I just came by an Ortofon RS-212 tonearm, and from my research it appears that you have the same. Have you had to replace the tonearm cable? It appears to have a 7 pin connector as opposed to the typical 5 pin. The cart is good on it on other arms, but when I plug this in I get no sound other than what appears to be a loud ground problem, even when I have only the unconnected cable hooked up...i get the hum. So I figured if this were the problem or not, it would be worth replacing. Any tips for where/what to purchase? Also, your thoughts on a good mate for cart would be much appreciated.

Yep, I've got one!

Mine came with a funky cable, so I did replace it with some homemade cables. I used the original 7-pin connector (which is the same layout as a 7-pin tube). Yeah, it's kinda weird thet it's 7-pin, when only 5 pins are used (L+, L-, R+, R-, ground). I used some cables fitted with RCAs, made up by Blue Jeans Cable, model LC-1, and soldered them (and a ground wire) to that original connector. Sounds like you've definitely got a ground problem. Got any pics?

Nice pics, thanks!

It looks like you've got everything together. You're grounding the black wire to the preamp?

RS-212's go for a pretty penny on eBay, like $500-800, I think. Do you know how to set it up and adjust it? There's a manual available for free download at The Vinyl Engine.

So I did get a good deal! I have the manual and have yet to really get into it...it is missing the back "extra" counterweight for the heavy carts, but I think I could get around that with good selection. And yes, I am grounding the arm to the preamp...this is a very audible, low BUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound...pretty sure it is the ground. The cable is crappy as you can see and probably needs replaced anyway.