KG4 vs. Forte

Rootpusher

I think I'd hold out for the Fortes, probably go for Forte II. The driverrs in the Hersey II and Forte II woudl be very similar and quite possibly identical but in any case should match the tonal characteristics of your Heresy II better. You could always get the mint KG4 now and sell them when you find Fortes or use them in another system.

Just my 2 cents

The KG4 has a different reference sound. It's very good, IMO, but doesn't have the detail to which you are already accustomed listening to the Heresy II. The KG4 does have killer bass reminding me somewhat of the Advent Loudspeaker.

The Forte sounds similar to the Heresy, but with optimized bass. It sounds very very good.

If you're thinkning you've got Forte in your future, hold out.

Dee spells it out great...speaking as someone who has Heresys and Quartets (just slightly smaller than Forte' IIs) I can tell you that you may like the sound from kg4s but they won't sound like Forte'/Forte' IIs (or Quartets for that matter) whereas the Quartets to me (and Forte'/Forte' II by extrapolation) sound very similar to my Heresys but with more bass...

Bill

KG4 is nice for it's price point but forte is far superior.

a look at used prices should be telling- KG4 brings about $200, forte $350-$500.

nuf said.

To integrate with Heresy II in a HT setup, you'd want to stick with forte or forte II imho.

However if the KG4 is a good deal and for another room in the house, go for it. You can always use there somewhere else when your dream forte's arrive.

Thanks to all who responded. At the very end of last week, I walked into a pair of $400 oiled oak Forte IIs from 1993 that are in great shape. They're now happily plugged into my system awaiting Bob Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms. (I was impressed with that upgrade to my Heresys, so decided to repeat.)

• 1 year later...

I agree, I have a pair of both Kg-4's (1990) and Forte II's (1986).

The KG-4's are killer for the money! They are nice small speakers with a lot of strengths. I use my as rear surrounds now.

The separate drivers and design of the forte (and heresy) provide much better midrange and much greater dynamic range. The KG4's do have much deeper bass than the heresy, just not the clarity.

I discovered Bob Crites site, and I am upgrading both this week. I am refurbishing the crossovers, and installing titanium diaphragms for the tweeters.

I have upgraded the forte II and KG4 crossovers. Made a VERY nice difference! The KG4 will never have the clarity of the heresey or forte II...but... the modification to the crossover alone kicks it way up. The KG4's are cleaner, with more (uncongested) dynamic range. I am awaiting the ti tweeter diaphragms for both speakers.