First Reference series buy, which ones?

ClintonH

Hi to al, I currently have the QuintetIII setup and want to upgrade to the Reference series and I've got the go ahead from the wife.:) Right now the RF-35 and RC-35 combo is on sale in town for $1300, I would pair these with 4 synergy SS.5 surrounds for an additional $300. I have a Denon AVR-788 7.1 receiver to powerr then with. And the second option would be to go with the RF-62 fronts and RC-52 center for $1600 which would also be paired with the 4 SS.5 surrounds. Any opinions on if the RF-62's are worth the extra $300 or would the RF-35's with the 8's be a better option? This is going to be run in a dedicated theater room 10'X28' with a 110" screen, also have a Klipsch 10" powered sub to go with the system. Any help would be great as the deal for the 35's is over tonight. (just saw the add) Thanks.

Clinton

Do you have a chance to listen to the pairs first? One comment that some have said about the current reference series as opposed to the ones they replaced is that the current models have a slightly smoother overall sound and not quite as 'in your face' as some people have described the previous series. I personally think you'll be very happy with the RF-35/RC-35 combo. Plus, its like getting your SS.5s for free then compared to spending the extra $300 for the RF-62/RC-52 combo.

Let us know what you decide and we always welcome pics!

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Those prices seem a bit high. The Klipsch suggested retail price is $878/pair for RF-62 and $499 for the RC-62 which will bring you in under $1400 and get a more capable center speaker. Now the RF/RC35 combo is a good choice but I think you can do better on the price. If you still want to keep the price somewhat low, I think the SS.5's will be okay for now. Later if you find a good deal on the RS-42's or 52's you could then upgrade and have a matching system.

Bill

Thanks guys, yes I've listened to both and in the Glass cage they have them installed in it's hard to tell the difference. I thought the RF-35's sounded bright but that's kind of what I liked about the Klipsch. Those prices might seem a bit high but I'm in Canada and these are actually about 10% less than anywhere I've looke on my end of Canada. I really hate buying online so buying intown is tha only way to go. The RC62 is going for $629 so it ups the price pretty much out of my range, I had a hard time convincing th wife to go the full $1900, over $2000 would be a no go I believe. :) Thanks again I think i'll go have one more listen.

Clinton

I'm going to pick up the RF-62's this week some time and I might opt out of the second set of ss.5's in favor of the RC-62. Do you guys think going 5.1 instead of the7.1 setup will be that much of a difference? I'm also going to try and get the guy to come down a bit since I'm buying a full setup, I hope 10%.

Clinton

• Moderators

I really don't think you'd miss much sticking with 5.1 instead of 7.1....you can always add another 2 in later if you feel it is needed.

Thats what i would do also, then you can hunt down this guy, also from Canada called TheEar and get a bigger sub from him, he has more than one person can listen to anyway ! [;)]

Went back again today to make a deal, listened to them all again, of course changed my mind again. The manager said he'd do the sale price on the RF-35's(was over on the 24'th) if I bought a full setup. So I ended up spending $1800 tax in, that's a $970 savings form there retail. I know we get hosed in Canada, but what do you do. So here's what I'll be picking up on Friday when the get them in store.

RF-35's, RC-35 and a set of RS-42's. I'll be pushing those RS-42's the rear of the 7.1 in another month or 2 and geting a set of 52's. I'll post up some pics of my setup when I get the speakers all setup. Thanks again for the help.

Clinton

Not bad! Although, for 7.1 many have preferred a bookshelf type speaker for the surround back speakers instead of the wedge-shaped dual-driver design of the RS series. Something like the RB-51 might be worth taking a look at and save you a lot of $$. [8-|]