Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Aug 25

thebes

Well it appears I will end up the summer with a root canal. Oh joy. Really love a bunch of needles in my mouth and then something that looks like a small toilet brush being used to scrape out nerve endings. Yummy.

Not quite enough to give you a case of the blues, but it could give me a case of:

"The Alternate Blues", Clark Terry, Freddie Hubbard and Dizzy Gillespie, lp, jazz

I've had this one for awhile now, but never really focused in on it. I'm not the world's biggest jazz fan and tend to use it for background music. However, thanks to a friend, I got some serious face time with it this weekend and I got to tell you if you like horns, and who doesn't with Klipsch in the house, you'll find this one to be spectacular indeed. Especially when Dizzy's blowing.

So what do you have to share this week?

Ouch sorry about that Thebes.

5135JGANXXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

sample songs click here

It looks like this thread is going to be about real pain. Well Screamin Jay Hawkins wrote and sang about real pain. Hawkins was truly a genius showman. I wish I could have seen him live.

1968 Constipation Blues

"I never before had been constipated in my life and it didn't dawn on
me until I was five hours on the stool in the hospital that nothin' was
gonna happen. I had doctors give me enemas and still nothin' happened.
I had tears in my eyes, and I noticed this beautiful roll of toilet
paper and I took out a pencil and, at the bottom of the toilet paper, I
started writin' the song backwards, from the bottom up. The more I
rolled out the toilet paper, the more I got into the song. I wrote
exactly as I felt, each movement, each sound, each pain..."

Lyrics

Ladies and gentlemen, most people record songs about love, heartbreak,
loneliness, being broke... Nobody's actually went out and recorded a
song about real pain. The band and I have just returned from the
General Hospital where we caught a man in the right position. We name
this song: "Constipation blues".

UMM-UMMMH, aeoh
UMM-UOOMH
OOH!
OH!
UH UH
Aaah
UOH, aah
Let it go! Let it go! Let it go! Let it go!
I don't believe I can take much more
Let it go
Aah
Got a pain down inside
Won't be denied
Yeah, every time I try
I can't be satisfied
Let it go!
WOAH, UMMH
Let it, let it go!
OH!
WAAAAOOOH!
This pain down inside
Just won't let me be satisfied
Let it go!

SPLASH!!! SPSHHH....
Feel, ah, I feel alright
Yeah, I feel alright
SPLASH!!! Shpsh...
Yeah
I feel alright
SPLASH!
Flush

Phew
Phew
Phew...
Feel alright
UMM-MMMMH OUUH
BOOAAH UMM-UOOMH
Let go UM OOH OH!
WOAOH!
Let it go! Let it go! Let it go, let it go!
I don't think I can take much more
Let it go
AH! WHOA
OI got a pain down inside
It won't be denied
Every time I try
I can't be satisfied
Let it go! PFFRR oh oh
Let it, let it go! MMMH
AAH OH!
This pain it ain't no thrill
It keep messin' with my will
Let it go! OH - PFFRT

[piano solo]

PFFFR FFRRRT OUH!
Oh my!
Maybe I'm gonna be all right
OUH O O OH
Yes! I think I gonna be all right
UM OH OH UMMM
WHOA UMH
AH!
A HUH HUH HA
PLOP PLOP
WHOA BOAH!
AH!
OUUUH AAH HUMMH
PFRRT GROAN
WOOOH!
WHOAAAAAAAAA-AAAAH

Let's think a minute, seems a certain forum member has a shoot OB idea, so maybe I should fire first and ask questions later,

461 Ocean Boulevard : ERIC CLAPTON

Never really liked his version of,"I Shot the Sheriff", but today, it fits. The longer I own and play this album the more I like it. Never was a big Eric Clapton fan, but I find as I get older, Eric sounds better, and better. He is now one of my favorites, dam n old Yardbird, that band had some guitarist's, wow. Great songs on here, truly a Clapton Classic, should be part of any Clapton, or Rock collection .................

This one's for you ................ Sheriff Thebes

Spirit. Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. Forgive me. I copied the following from another site.

The final album by experimental pop/rock band Spirit's original lineup is arguably their best. Combining their most melodic collection of songs with the harmonically rich and uncharacteristically detail-oriented production of David Briggs (Neil Young, Alice Cooper) the group disbanded on a high note and closed out the original era of west-coast experimental psych-rock. So, while it lacks the out-from-left-field impact of their quirky, raw debut, I think Dr. Sardonicus is nevertheless Spirit's most sophisticated and quintessential work product.

The title and cover art would suggest that this is a concept album; it isn't, at least as far as I can tell. Other than the eclectic nature of the music and the fact that several of the tracks run together (suggestive of "dreaming," I guess), there is no overriding concept or story that unifies these songs. The record spawned the minor hit "Nature's Way" and probably should have had others – "Animal Zoo," "Mr. Skin" and "Morning Will Come" have a catchy, rollicking zest to them and they suitably capture the carefree vibe of the era. The other tracks are generally artier and exhibit the sort of creative (yet always accessible) musical crossbreeding that Spirit was known for. "Love Has Found a Way" uses a backwards rhythm track and the nice addition of a vibraphone contributes to its tripped-out feel. "Why Can't I Be Free" has an arresting, wheezy ambience to it that prevents the one-minute song from being a throwaway. "Space Child" is a jazzy, psychedelic instrumental that sounds like Steely Dan might have, had they come up in late '60s California. "Street Worm" finishes with a solo that guitarist Randy California (a versatile, accomplished player) described in the liner notes as being inspired by John Coltrane improvisations

• 2 weeks later...

Let's think a minute, seems a certain forum member has a shoot OB idea, so maybe I should fire first and ask questions later,

461 Ocean Boulevard : ERIC CLAPTON

Never really liked his version of,"I Shot the Sheriff", but today, it fits. The longer I own and play this album the more I like it. Never was a big Eric Clapton fan, but I find as I get older, Eric sounds better, and better. He is now one of my favorites, dam n old Yardbird, that band had some guitarist's, wow. Great songs on here, truly a Clapton Classic, should be part of any Clapton, or Rock collection .................

This one's for you ................ Sheriff Thebes

ob, not sure if you are into dvd audio or sacd, but 461 ocean blvd. is available on sacd and it sounds incredible!