Best Center and rear selection for La Scala Home theater

Zoghead

Hi Guys -- Need help with selection of center channel. I have a Mcintosh MX-134 mated to MC206, Phillips Blue Ray player and Mac MR67 tuner.

I will have La Scala on the outside fronts but I would like to get opinions on what would be best fit for center and rears -- sub is older JBL that will be replaced. Leaning towards RC-64 but not sure about the match I don't have room to chop a La Scala in half and shove the horns in the center has to fit under the LCD and at 33 inches width clearance the RC-64 will just squeak in (maybe).

I'm surprised Klipsch doesn't just build a horn center channel designed for the Heritage series -- I guess from reading they expect you to Klipschorns for the fronts, a Belle Klipsch for the Center and La Scalas for the rears -- with a 50 X 55 foot room to put them in of course.

The den is small the rears will have to fire sideways. Any help will be appreciated.

La Scala center, Heresy for rears.

What year is your La Scalas? The La Scala IIs top section is separate from the bottom section so you can use it as a center channel that way .

If a La Scala will not work then a Heresy for center would work.

Welcome to the forum, Zoghead! It's great to have you here with us.

IMHO, I would attempt to fit a LaScala into the center channel position, Heresey IIIs for the surrounds and a pair of THX subs as they work awesome with LaScalas! If the LaScala will not do for a center, why not try a Cornwall (a horizontal version if you can locate one) again with Heresy III surrounds and the THX subs. If a Cornwall is still too large then I'd agree that a Heresy III doing center duties is your next best choice. Best of luck and Happy Shopping! -Glenn

A Horizontal Cornwall - I had to rotate the photo as its owner had it standing vertically.

post-10177-13819400462442_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819410610432_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help guys -- the problem I have is the room arrangement -- its a small den with La Scala's on the fronts and five 200 watt channels this puppy is going to be so loud you'll need earmuffs. The RC64 is a perfect fit underneath my Samsung 52 inch -- to get a Cornwall in as the center I'd have to get a carpenter in to add a strong shelf over the top of the TV (hmmm, maybe this IS doable). I'm afraid it may look awkward. The rears are going to have to be placed sideways as there is no room.

I will have to think this over -- just how BAD can an RC64 sound anyways there may be some pitch differences but its primarly voices, right?

My friend Picky is bang on. What you describe 'the center is primarliy voices' was my initial thoughts when marrying a RC7 to my Cornwalls. It was satisfying for a while but after I heard Indy's and Picky's perfectly timbre matched systems I knew something was not right.

Here's the deal- in HT, a lot of the effect of placement of objects on screen is derived through movement across the front sound field. If a truck moves from far left - to center- to far right, the sound is only believeable to the brain if it sounds the same (the same tonal characteristics- timbre) through the entire sound field. Even the parametric eq on today's modern receiver is not enough to overcome the differences between two-way and three-way speakers, varying crossover points, etc. For instance, a frequency like 1000 Hz is going to come principally from the Cornwalls mid horn, in an RC center it's coming from a cone- it's going to sound different even if they all have flat frequency response in the room.

Don't mix Heritage and Reference, maybe for surrounds, but never across the front. It just does not work. Trust me, I've been there. If the furniture doesn't fit, get different furniture.

Michael

exactly how small is this den and why are there LaScalas in there for mains?

consider skipping the center and using phantom if the LS are closer than 6 feet between them.

get a different stand and put a heresy on it's side or standing up. at that close range the orientation of the horn won't matter.

Hey Zoghead,

I was able to fit my center La Scala above my old 50" Hitatchi and it is working out great with the KHorns up front and the

Heresys in the rear.

Have a look:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/107256.aspx

My room is 15' wide and is only about 7', 6" high (basement, with drop ceiling and raised floor) and the Scala fit in perfect.

Trust me, if you can figure a way [^o)] to fit a 3rd LS up front, you will be a happy [:D] camper.

You know guys I think this will work -- if I yank out two of the glass shelves underneath my samsung there is enough space in there to squeeze in a Heresy -- and Heresy /Cornwalls on the back. I have another question for my fellow La Scalamates -- will there be any degradation in output if I place the Heresy sideways?

And is there a BIG difference in sound quality between the Heresy I, II and II's?? There are plenty available on ebay. Man I cant wait to hear a full HT system with Macs powering up the electronics

I don't know, is there? Speaker would be undermounted underneath the LCD with a good chunk of two inch laminate over the top -- do I need a lead blanket as well? Could I just paint it white to reflect radiation?

I hope the sound is worth all this work

I do not know about the Heresy but I had a 42" LCD on top of an Academy with out any issues. I have since mounted the LCD from a pivoting ceiling mount for appearance and viewing flexibilty.

I tried an RC in the center and it sounded terible - no timbre match. Academy sounded much better. I would like to have another La Scala but there just is not enough room.