My Photography - Thoughts?

justin_tx_16

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice photos! Do you use a digital camera and non digital or just one?

I really like the red beer bottle cap one, something about the colors. I also like the one with the bee that you said you took the pic in the evening and the light was not great. I like the way the lighting is in the pic, bad lighting does not always make a bad pic.

The Johnny Lang pics are really good also.

Great body of work there Justin. You have a fantastic eye for light, color, and storytelling. I like your captions also, they help others to understand the photographic process. Your experiments with lighting are well thought out and executed. I like the HDR shot, never played with that much.

Teaching question- Why do I like 'face first' (purple coneflower) and the 'Lincoln Memorial at night' so much?

Keep up the experimentation- stretching the boundaries is good for you. Vary your portfolio as you have been doing.

You are on a very good path my friend.

Michael

ps you have mail re the college program

Hello, Justin:

Despite my T1 connection here at the office, the site initially loaded very slowly and continued to be slow when selecting each photo to view from the tiles. You've chosen many very interesting subjects to shoot. You seem to enjoy drama as reflected in the lighting you've selected in the majority of your shots. You appear to be experimenting with the different lenses you have at your disposal (tele, wide, fisheye and macro). I don't know how long you have been shooting or what your training level is but when I was starting out I chose to stick with shooting only a fixed-50mm lens for the longest time. This forced me into learning composition very quickly because I could no longer rely on the zoom to frame the shots for me, or offer me a better vantage point. It forced me to get closer to the subject, move around, climb, bend stoop, kneel, etc. I am not suggesting you are but zoom lenses make many people lazy: They tend to shoot all of their photos from one position (standing) and zoom until they can frame a shot they find pleasing. Kids and dogs have never looked smaller or more distorted! LOL Please don't let yourself fall into this trap. You have done some interesting POV (point-of-view) shots. I would like to see you do some rule-of-thirds stuff. I'm sure Colter will be chiming-in here shortly. He is "the master" IMHO! Best of luck, Justin. -Glenn

Minolta XE-5 (35mm film), fixed 50mm lens, f 2.0, 1/20 sec., handheld pan, kneeling, unretouched (as shot):

post-10177-13819400453958_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819410602058_thumb.jpg

Glenn shows a human interest photo with motion blur. You might try your hand at sports or moving targets. Aim for more emotion and keep up the storytelling. If we didn't have the captions, would the photo alone tell us a story of what is happening? I like the idea of playing with a single fixed lens.

You're very good with lighting and creating mood, no assignment needed there. I like that you tweak with white balance in camera. Put away Photoshop. Get it right in the camera. Then proceed. Here's some things to try if you like:

Assignment- use one lens only for a week, another next week, another the next week. (Glenn's suggestion)

Assignment- people portraits, working with subjects.This is a critical stage of development. On-stage portraits of public personalities are one thing. Take normal people in natural environment (park, their office, grocery store, wherever), gain their trust in you and photograph them to the best of your ability. Show the REAL them. Learn what is unique about the individual and present that in your photograph. If you are a bit shy this is very difficult but it's a skill that must be learned or you are doomed to stock and commercial work. Believe it or not, I was very shy growing up and the camera was the thing that made me the Rock Star that I am today. Proof that it can be done.

Assignment - composition- put the subject anywhere but in the middle of the frame. Learn the rule of thirds. Shoot 100 photos this way until it becomes natural.

Add the best 6 photos of each assignment to your portfolio.

Michael

Can you FEEL the emotion in this father's heart as he hugs his daughter on her wedding day?

post-10755-13819400461922_thumb.jpg

post-10755-13819410610012_thumb.jpg

non-pro session, took a cool friend, told her to dress funky and cop an attitude. this is one of my fave shots from a series of just walking around downtown and shooting harsh afternoon light in alleyways. the hard angular light matched her looks and 'tude. you've got friends, drag em around and use em for models!

post-10755-13819400463482_thumb.jpg

post-10755-13819410611662_thumb.jpg

Here's another of Leah, same session. Note the strangely off-center composition (not standard rule of thirds but then let's break some rules, mmk?)

The perspective makes her look small and 'street urchinish' and the drain pipe lower left that helps balance things and anchor the image to the earth.

post-10755-13819400463832_thumb.jpg

post-10755-13819410612012_thumb.jpg

I"m not shooting anything pro these days, just for fun. A buddy of mine who just got accepted to Herron School of Art in Indy, had his last day as EMT/paramedic a couple weeks ago. We shot the usual stuff in front of fire station, next to squad, with partner, then got a bit artsy.

I designed this last shot for him totally on the fly. It's kind of posed, but here's a 'patient eye view' as Gabe welcomes you into his lab. We're both laughing hysterically, doing really bad German accents for some reason, and saying 'wit dese mitts I will fix you' he says menacingly! LOL

Engage people, have fun, learn to be outgoing.It will show in your work.

post-10755-13819400464302_thumb.jpg

post-10755-13819410612492_thumb.jpg

Nice work FB, is the older woman a relative or someone you know? That's a very powerful shot, it reminds me of the woman in the dust bowl shot during the depression.

Actually that is my mother in law.......she is Swiss/German and very stoic, even thought she has has a very hard life she never shows it, always a big genuine smile and a nice words of encouragement.

Last xmas we were all together and were reminiscing about family/the old days and she was recalling her life in Switzerland and how she was the only one of 11 brothers and sisters left.......it was getting late and she let her guard down for just a minute and was lost in thought.....I could only imagine the pain that was on her mind...and of course I had he trusty 70-200 to capture it from across the room...5 seconds later and I would have missed it........

Shoot children at or below their eye-level: It makes them less-diminished, more lifelike and restores their true significance. Our daughter (now 29) here enjoy's her first Fudgsickle with verve: Originally shot in black & white.

post-10177-1381941063394_thumb.jpg

Grab shots can bring the biggest challenge: This one taken on the fly, vitually in a hotel mirror from the camera you see me holding. Yes that is me! Our band was on a road trip to Traverse City, MI back in 1980. By then, I'd already had 3 semesters of photography in college under my belt. I have been shooting since I was 6 years old. The high contrast of this photo sets the tension in the room. It was shot in black & white originally in available window daylight with a manual camera and 50mm fixed lens: No exposure algorithms or auto-focus here my friends! The photo gives "shooting-from-the-hip" (er, chest) a whole new meaning! LOL

post-10177-1381941063755_thumb.jpg