Empire 398 Worth It? In Da House!

thebes

Local fellow has an Empire 398 TT with two arms, the original tonearm it came with (probably the 980), and a Ortofon 212. Wants $300 for all.

Now I know these guys can be modded with heavy plinths etc. via the Lenco's and Rek O cuts, but I'm wondering if it would be an upgrade over my current Ariston RD 11S (basically an early Linn) which I've fitted with an Rega RB 300. I'm also wondering if either of those arms would be a good match for the Denon Zu 103 Mike Lindsey is lending me. I'm also wondering if it's a little pricey.

Want to move fairly quickly because I'll be over his way this weekend, so any help is appreciated.

Indeed, you'd better provide me some answers or I'l shoot OB. [:D]

Marty,

Shot from the Slammin Grave Yard for gear.

My last Empire.[:'(] Note the Ortofon hanging there.

Also in the back of the pix, Marantz mod 15's. Saul's first SS amp. (made in USA) Two 60wpc SS mono blocks, bolted together behind a face plate.

Ahhh, the good old days when the air was clean and the sex was dirty.

tc

post-13095-1381941068319_thumb.jpg

I pulled the plug and brought it home. Very dirty so I cleaned and shined it up, cleaned out the bearing well and added some new Mobil One, and used some rope caulk to dampen the chassis. Motor mounts are nice and supple.

Mounted an Ortofon OM forty on the Ortofon arm and a Shure V15 Type 3 (sadly with Radio Shack stylus) on the Empire arm and gave it a whirl.t The Empire arm sounds surprisingly good given some hum and buzzing issues which have to be tackled. I'm thinking the arm wiring is shot, since all of the headshell wires were practically dissolved. Full and rich with a fairly good grasp of detail.

The headshell wiring on the Ortofon RS212 is also very frail and it need new leads. Sound is a bit thinner but more detailed and just a smidge harsh on the top end. Will have to tweak loading etc.

Table runs a bit fast which shouldn't be cause it got a relatively new belt on it. Motor is dead silent, no rumble etc.

All and all a keeper with more work to be done.

By the way what's a good substance to use to dampen the aluminum platter? Don't want something to thick or gooky.

post-14801-1381941077991_thumb.jpg