About to pull the trigger on a Panasonic Plasma...

White_Hawk

The TH-50PZ800U - does anyone have any experience with this set? CNET all but raves over it, as do most of the other reviews I've found, and prices are dropping drastically...

I should put in a pic of my current set so you can all understand why I need the bigger screen =)

White_Hawk: Buy the Panasonic with confidence! Panasonic plasmas have the lowest customer return-rate for defects in the big screen industry (2%). Brands: Pioneer, Samsung and other are 3% or more, which is still very good.

We bought our 50" 1080p Panasonic (TH50PZ700U) in November for only $1,955 at Sears of all places. They bested prices for the same model at Best Buy and others by at least $400 to $600, so be sure to check out Sears for special sales before you buy elsewhere. The model you are considering is its newer-model replacement. We love this TV and have absolutely zero complaints about it. We compared it with a Pioneer Elite and a Samsung. The Pioneer in my opinion, has the best picture in the industry. But it's price was way out-of-line with the Panny's. The Samsung had an image that was just as sharp as the Panasonic's but the black levels on the Samsung were just a bit better. But, they were not $600-better, so we decided on the Panny and we're glad we did. Happy shopping! -Glenn

You should absolutely love the Panasonic. I have a 42" (720p) and the picture is great! I did an on-line search for my particular model and found some good settings and it really fine tunes the pitcure. (much better than the out of box settings)

Actually I believe Pioneer wanted out of the Plasma business and was focusing only on LCD, so they are having all their plasmas built by Panasonic now? I could be wrong.

I have 2 LCD's (Sony and Samsung) - both are good pictures, but my Panasonic Plasma is better than both of the LCD's. I think when I do eventually upgrade to a 1080p I will get a 50" or larger Panasonic, without hesitation.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Order has been placed, should be receiving it next Friday or so.

Here's the entertainment center spaced out for it: (that TV looks a little out of place here doesn't it?)

Posted Image

This is just temporary - we'll only be in our apt through mid november, we're looking at buying a house then that may afford us a little more room =)

Now we're looking for a tv stand for it that won't look too bad in this entertainment center, if anyone has any ideas post them! (looking on the cheaper side for now somewhere ~$200-$300)

Josh,

Yes the picture is there now.

I would look at the first one that Bill posed, as I have the same one. I would look for it at your local CC or BB store and maybe CC can even order it for you. I know that I picked up mine from CC and drove down to Lafayette to pick up the match audio rack from HH Gregg.

Here you go, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bush-Segments-36-TV-Stand-VS11536A01/sem/rpsm/oid/124838/catOid/-18361/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do. Did I also mention that the RC-64 does fit on the shelf below the TV.

James

Guys,

I am thinking about upgrading from a Sharp 32" LCD.

I was thinking about sticking with LCD because it will be getting a lot of use as every day TV...

The AQUAS picture is good and 1080p but it's not as nice as the Samsung 42" Plasma.

But you guys are getting me to think about Plasma...

Has Panasonic beat the problems that plasma has always suffered from?

pixel burn in? "tube life"? Short warranty lengths?

Yes Panasonic plasma displays have no problems, the newer displays will probably outlast most TVs having 60,000 and even 100,000 hours of half life brightness. Image "burn in" is a thing of the past, temporary "imagine retention" is only very slight and usually disappears seconds after static images are replaced with normal active screen display. Even the human eye can suffer from some image retention.

Plasma displays have a much better picture quality, more realistic than LCD. Also a plasma display will probably outlast an LCD, plasma has a better quality glass screen (LCD has a plastic screen) and no backlight to burn out.

I own a 50 inch Panasonic professional model plasma, TH-50PH9UK it is the best TV I have ever owned and one of the best I have ever seen. BTW, the Panasonic professional displays come with a 2 year warranty, mine came with a special offer free 5 year warranty from Panasonic.

Panasonic TH-42PZ85U

Panasonic has released yet another top product to help compete with the other top Plasma Screen Televisions Manufacturers which keeps them up with the current competition. The Viera TH-42PZ85U 42-Inch 1080p Plasma is very functional and has everything you want in a High Definition Television. From the Connectivity to the top of the line screen coloring and amazingly fast moving lines keeping up with every type of television show, movie and even fast paced sporting events for one of the best Television viewing experiences available on the market.

The Panasonic Viera offers 1920 x 1080 Resolution, 1000000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio for the Brightest whites and darkest blacks, 4096 Shades of Gradation for spectacular Color Reproduction which is unheard of when looking into plasma televisions. All of these extras factored in together make the Panasonic Th-42PZ85U one of the top Plasma screen Televisions on the market and also make your Television viewing experience a great one. The colors are brighter and more crisp than most Plasma screens and at a much more affordable price than some of the top High Definition Televisions on the market.

A Panasonic Plasma screen Television combines anti-glare and anti-reflection technology with the natural light-emitting properties of plasma, to give you a super-wide viewing range with a crisp, beautiful image from almost any angle that you may be watching from. Another unique fact about this Televisions is that it is rated so high that it will last 100,000 hours, which is about 30 years of regular or 11 years of non-stop usage before the brightness of the display will start to go out, While other top Plasma Televisions will begin going out within 5 years of purchasing.

Love mine![Y]

post-5505-13819410809656_thumb.jpg