Pro Audio suggestions wanted

Woodog

What would you suggest to go with a Peavey XR-684 powered head for around 600-800 dollars. I plan to buy used.

I tried a longer winded description but the forum beast ate my post.

I'm asking here because once upon a time I had high powered Onkyo amps and Bose 901s and I thought I knew good sound. Now it's khorns and tubes and I know I know good sound.

Thanks y'all.

Woo

What kind of application are you planning to use this powered mixer with?

When I was working on campus, we used these speakers to great effect with the same mixer:
http://www.electrovoice.com/products/200.html

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ELVSX100PLUSE
($420 w/ free shipping)

If
you wanted to stay with Klipsch, then I would look into the Industrial Heresy. I think Colter might have some for sale? I'm not
sure other than I know he's getting rid of a lot of stuff. An HIP, KP-201 or KP-250 are all pretty much the same thing.

The EV's are gonna sound about the same though (if not slightly better) and weigh a whole lot less, making them easier to tote around. The EV's just won't go quite as loud (which may or may not be an issue).

Thanks Dr!

Applications would include smallish rooms with acoustic guitars and vocals, SM 57's and 58's, when I gig with the keyboard (Roland RD-600) as a stage amp to supplement line-in applications, perhaps as monitors on occasion.

Vocal clarity would be the biggest desire, however. these don't have to dig that low but some diggin' would be appreciated.

thanks again!

Forrest

Hey Forrest!

THe KP201 is a Heresy II in industrial clothing, a KP250 is heavy duty with K42 woofer- it's ported and way louder but not quite as smooth as 201. I have them all. They usually have pole mounts for putting on stands which is handy for smaller venues where you want to get the horns above the heads of the audience.

I've probably got a pair of one or the other that I could sell off if you're interested.

Michael

The specs of the EV look to be what need. Did you like the way they handled vocal material?

Vocals, yes very well. Keys, not so much. Guitar and bass were good enough. The graphic EQ on the Peavey can help you out with pulling the keys outta the mud, but you're gonna have to tweak it every time you change the key, piano sound, or playing style (like thick heavy chords versus fast pizzicato playing).

I'd go with the Klipsches if you were gonna do a lot of keys....not to mention the ones Colter has on hand are in essentially mint condition. [Y]

Michael, Thanks for that offer! I had a pair of Heresys (the 'ones') in the attic and after reading what KP201's were, I took them down and hooked them up to the XR684 (falling after missing the last stair and whacking my face - 7 stitches... but I digress).

I think I'll use this for now. I'll be careful of the volume to avoid blowing a driver.

Forrest

you might hook up a 2 amp fast blow fuse to avoid overpowering them.

I always recommend a good compressor/limiter in the PA chain to avoid thumps and amateur 'is this thing on?' mic hits. A compressor will help save the ears of the audience and make performers sound more professional. DBX 166 Xl is a great unit that can be gotten for about $150 used.

The Peavey is actually self limiting and won't do any more than 100W into 8ohms - even if you try. If you slam the rails too hard it will actually just turn off the output until it thinks things are safe again (which I've found to be more annoying than anything really). I think it might even soft clip too, not sure though (which would be the same as a preset compression).

Woodog,

Hey bro. Seven stitches is alot of stitches my friend. Hope you are doing OK.

I think you've got a winner with your Heresy solution. You can cover a good sized room with those and not break a sweat.

A couple of thoughts, you are right about watching the K77's. If they should ever poo out on you, the CT 125 is a bullet proof and economical solution that to my ears sounds better than the K77, by a long shot.

Of course, you know the merits of fresh caps, if the crossovers are original. Just a little more food for thought.

Hope you will post on all the gear you've got together for your system. Pretty creative combo, sounds like.