MWM rebuild

colterphoto1

Gary,

I own five MWM double bins and four MWM single bins. I measured one double bin and one single bin, and B = 9.25" on both of them.

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks for taking the time to verify the dimension. I have made some changes and updated JC's "hack" drawing that I added the dimensions too on page 5 and replaced the original that was there. If anyone has any updates let me know and I will add them. I have never even seen an MWM bass bin so I am just taking dimensions from Michael, Dtel and the available Klipsch specs sheets and trying to make it all meld into one drawing so that I can build a couple of singles for the upstairs bedroom. It's the only place that has enough floor space left to accommodate them.

Thanks Again

Gary,

I own five MWM double bins and four MWM single bins. I measured one double bin and one single bin, and B = 9.25" on both of them.

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks for taking the time to verify the dimension. I have made some changes and updated JC's "hack" drawing that I added the dimensions too on page 5 and replaced the original that was there. If anyone has any updates let me know and I will add them. I have never even seen an MWM bass bin so I am just taking dimensions from Michael, Dtel and the available Klipsch specs sheets and trying to make it all meld into one drawing so that I can build a couple of singles for the upstairs bedroom. It's the only place that has enough floor space left to accommodate them.

Thanks Again

Gary....good work.

jc

I have never even seen an MWM bass bin so I am just taking dimensions from Michael, Dtel and the available Klipsch specs sheets and trying to make it all meld into one drawing so that I can build a couple of singles for the upstairs bedroom. It's the only place that has enough floor space left to accommodate them

Ok, lemme see if I understand this.... you have never seen the MWM's and you are going to build some?

heh... aren't you going to be in for a surprise! (a good one) [Y]

I have never even seen an MWM bass bin so I am just taking dimensions from Michael, Dtel and the available Klipsch specs sheets and trying to make it all meld into one drawing so that I can build a couple of singles for the upstairs bedroom. It's the only place that has enough floor space left to accommodate them

Ok, lemme see if I understand this.... you have never seen the MWM's and you are going to build some?

heh... aren't you going to be in for a surprise! (a good one) Yes

You see Coytee, I have started to build this wall and I need a base (or is that BASS) for the foundation. The MWM seem like they may fit right in with my plan. Seems to me you may understand just fine from reading some of your previous posts. I have some time off and not so much money so things progress slowly. If it takes a while that’s ok, the TSCM clones in the bedroom kind of work "o.k." at the moment but bigger seems like better. So while I am waiting for a foot or more of snow to melt the plan is forming. It's Kind of like watching paint dry except painter comes by and puts another coat on when you think its dry. Anyway the planning is just part of the plan, the build is the next phase.

Gary,

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks Again

Gary,

You are welcome, and you are spot on about the front board being recessed .25" from the face of the MWM. The MWM has this set back regaurdless of if it is a single, double, has trim, or no trim. I wonder if you can change the orriginal picture to show this set back as well as the measurenment for future reference of others who wish to build like you.

Roger

Gary,

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks Again

Gary,

You are welcome, and you are spot on about the front board being recessed .25" from the face of the MWM. The MWM has this set back regaurdless of if it is a single, double, has trim, or no trim. I wonder if you can change the orriginal picture to show this set back as well as the measurenment for future reference of others who wish to build like you.

Roger

O.K. here is the latest update. All other input is welcome.

post-42841-1381963674318_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have been following kg4guy's MWM - S build
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/149832.aspx

Reading all of the positive comments of this great sounding bass bin and I got inspired yesterday to do some drawing. It was 90 and humid so a good day to stay inside and play. I put on some Little Feet Live and an hour or so later I was doing some drawing fixes. I don't know if the drawing is correct or not, I still have not heard one or even seen one in person. Anyhow, The other night I drew some rectangles that were 4 x 8 in dimensions and laid out the cut list. I had done a MWM - S previously and figured 6 sheets for a pair of Singles, after drawing the Double, the Cut list it seems like 8 sheets of 3/4 plywood should be enough. Two extra sheets and a pair of woofers and you may end up with an immovable force. I still don’t have the money but I did pull out the full size template top view that I drew last winter and laid out some marks on the floor just to see I can get the door open and was able to, just! Any comments appreciated, good, bad, mistakes, etc.

post-42841-13819658959086_thumb.jpg

Not sure where you would be using these................but I am really glad I have the MWM-S as opposed to the doubles. The singles are heavy enough. You need 2 people to move the singles, and I'm using them in my basement so they had to make it through a few different doorways. Forget about getting the doubles through your doorways unless they are double doors. You better have a couple of strong guys as well.

Hi Mark

I am not sure that the MWM – D or S is what want to build, but when I draw it makes me think and understand more about it. If they are built sometime, they will be built in place upstairs. It’s the only room that has space and its small at that at 17 x17. That didn't stop me from building other bass bins for this space. Each of the past projects, cornwall and la scala clones TSCM clone has taken a month to draw though first play. I like the learning and building process. A double, if built would never leave the room in one piece, the only way out would be with a skill saw. I guess that’s one of the reasons I have been holding off on doing these. The other (and more challanging) is money and is probably the over riding factor in that I don’t have it right now.

• Moderators

The other (and more challanging) is money and is probably the over riding factor in that I don’t have it right now.

Now that's a challenge I completely understand.

Mark is 100% right, I have moved singles around alot and their ok for two people. I once helped move a double from trailer to trailer about 15' apart, not easy for two people at all, hope I never have to do that again.

The only difference is one piece of wood the size of a top which is most of a sheet of plywood, as far a cost goes.

If I had to do it again I would wait rather than build a double, unless it would stay where I built it like a workshop or something.

I have two singles in the garage and had planed on building two more when I build a much bigger workshop. The more I listen to the two singles the more I think I may just build a sub to go with them instead of another pair. I think that would be much more benefit than two more MWM bins ? That was a question I planned to ask later to get opinions on.

Good luck on whatever you decide to build.

It would be nice to hear a set before you make up your mind on anything. Me I like the way they sound, very effortless, but they are big.

The other (and more challanging) is money and is probably the over riding factor in that I don’t have it right now.

Now that's a challenge I completely understand.

Mark is 100% right, I have moved singles around alot and their ok for two people. I once helped move a double from trailer to trailer about 15' apart, not easy for two people at all, hope I never have to do that again.

The only difference is one piece of wood the size of a top which is most of a sheet of plywood, as far a cost goes.

If I had to do it again I would wait rather than build a double, unless it would stay where I built it like a workshop or something.

I have two singles in the garage and had planed on building two more when I build a much bigger workshop. The more I listen to the two singles the more I think I may just build a sub to go with them instead of another pair. I think that would be much more benefit than two more MWM bins ? That was a question I planned to ask later to get opinions on.

Good luck on whatever you decide to build.

It would be nice to hear a set before you make up your mind on anything. Me I like the way they sound, very effortless, but they are big.

dtel

Things are on hold for a while, I appreciate the advice that you, Mark, and others have given me. For now I will be satisfied with the Klipschorns and other toys.

Thanks again

Well I had 4 singles in my setup and I went down to just 2 with a sub. So I 100% agree with your notion that time and lumber is better spent on a good TH sub rather than another set of redundant bins, where you are just adding 3 db more output in the exact same frequency range. If won't looks as impressive as bouble MWMs in the stack, perhaps, but it's all about sound quality, now isn't it?

• 3 years later...

Hi Mark

I am not sure that the MWM – D or S is what want to build, but when I draw it makes me think and understand more about it. If they are built sometime, they will be built in place upstairs. It’s the only room that has space and its small at that at 17 x17. That didn't stop me from building other bass bins for this space. Each of the past projects, cornwall and la scala clones TSCM clone has taken a month to draw though first play. I like the learning and building process. A double, if built would never leave the room in one piece, the only way out would be with a skill saw. I guess that’s one of the reasons I have been holding off on doing these. The other (and more challanging) is money and is probably the over riding factor in that I don’t have it right now.

Make it a Single for sure, or better yet, build my Quarter Pie horn, which is more space efficient (40% less), with the same efficiency electrically, same low distortion, and better midrange response. Only 11 pieces of 3/4 plywood to cut and glue. 5 Sheets should get you a pair.

• Like 1