MWM rebuild

colterphoto1

Prepping a modern K43 cast frame driver for installation. At the time the MWM-S and many LSI's were manufactured, Klipsch used a stamped steel frame K43, which is smaller diameter by about 3/32. Unless there is a spot ground out of the woodwork to accomodate this, I've found it easier to 'flat spot' the woofer frames than grind on the woodwork inside the woofer bin (especially difficult inside the LSI doghouse).

Put some 40 grit on a belt sander and flat spot the woofer frames as shown in the photo.

NOTE- for the MWM or MWM-S, you'll be grinding ADJACENT to woofer holes (as shown) , for LSI's you grind BETWEEN woofer holes. This is due to the way the speaker is oriented in the cabinet with the four mounting bolts(on MWM you're grinding top/bottom, for LSI your'e grinding the sides). On a standard MWM bin, I've been able to mount one complete unaltered K43, and grind down two sides on the other woofer for a tight fit.

post-10755-13819418127796_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

JW, I hope you were not joking, with my size it's tough to measure this ! [:$]

What is "B"?

9 1/4 "

What is the internal height of the back chamber?

15 1/4 "

What is the width of the most back panel from the inside?

31 1/4 "

I figured you needed something to do.........Super AngryBig Smile

jc

Thanks Dtel.

No I'm not joking. Wanted to think that design through a little. See that back width of the back panel on the inside is 31.25" as you say. I'm clueless as to how PWK worked out that back fold w/o a reflector.

The back firing portion of the horn comes to a H" of 15.25" and a W" of 15.5". Then there is this "B" of 9.25". I can't figure out the logic back there.

If anyone out there knows the Height of the woofer slot.....that would be helpful. Dtel....If my memory serves...you are taller than me...and crawling in and out of bass bins is a back breaker.

thanks again

jc

"No I'm not joking. Wanted to think that design through a little.
See that back width of the back panel on the inside is 31.25" as you
say. I'm clueless as to how PWK worked out that back fold w/o a
reflector."

40 - 300hz Not sure a reflector is needed.

Another example is the mid bass horn used in the patrician IV, no deflector.

Do you mean the diameter of the woofer hole?

I've been working on the this workshop and haven't wheeled anything out for a while. Thanks Dtel for getting those measurements. It'll be a bit before I can find my MCM's again.

Yes, the height of the slot.........right at the midline. Only if someone gets back in there,

jc

• 2 months later...

mc

well......I find interest in this stuff.

depends on how much time you want to spend on it. If you want to make a clinic out of it......I do have some requests.

give me a little bit to come up with some diagrams...that you can "fill in". maybe easier that way.

jc

I think mine are all complete now, so it if requires removing a woofer..... PITA. But I'll do it if you need it.

WIll check, heading out there right now.

I thought the whole point of these threads was to be a clinic. Heaven knows Tech Support doesn't show up here anymore.