HP-1 to KP201

colterphoto1

KP201 are my favorite little Klipsch Pro portable speakers. I have a pair of them that I bought while at Dtels Dec 2006 and Richard Coytee brought to me at Klipsch the following spring. They are a H II in industrial clothing, plain and simple. Compared to their brother the KP250, they don't have the K42 heavy duty woofer, nor are they ported. This results in less power handling, less efficiency, but to my ears (and Doc's measurment rig), a much smoother frequency response. They're also a whole lot easier to carry around than KP250, despite being exactly the same size.

In the past year I've picked up some odds and ends, one being a single KP201 from Richmond In. Singles usually go cheap so that was an easy drive. You see, I'd found this little HP-1 in FL the year before and was just waiting to get it ferried up here. I think it was $60 on the bay.

HP-1, like CP-1, is a first version Pro (or commercial) version of a home speaker. Heresy Pro and Cornwall Pro are their street names.

The HP-1 is exactly the same complement of drivers as the KP201 but has different covering (as many early pro cabinets did). This particular one had mounting holes for Omnimount 60.0 on the rear, a Heritage cloth grille, and simple radiused corners.

Heres a look at the two side by side.

post-10755-1381941083156_thumb.jpg

Same handle location, different grilles. The KP series could be purchased with either perf metal grille or the Heritage grille. The Heritage grille on this HP-1 is also cut out the same as the KP250, having the circular cutouts for the ports next to the tweeter. The sizes are the same, only the mounting hardware is different. Metal grilles have plastic standoffs and are attached to motor board with round head wood screws. Speakers with the Heritage cloth have four holes with Nuts for use with oval head screws, trim washers, and standoffs.

post-10755-1381941083244_thumb.jpg

For attachement to Ultimate stand or use with pole extensions in 'speaker on a stick' arrangement, we need to install a 'top hat' pole mount to the base of the HP-1.

I have a steel 1 1/2" 245-014 here but have ordered a plastic 245-018 in hopes that it's a better match. you can't see it in the photo, but the Klispch top hat has slightly flattened sides to grip the pole and keep the speaker from rotating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

bump for donkyshins, please to read sir.

Thanks! So it sounds as if my KP-250 will have to remain a KP-250 (e.g. no building a sealed cabinet unless I replace the K42 with K24). Ah well. Could be worse. At least I have a pair of speakers that should work well with a sub for $100. [:D]

-D

above 80 Hz they should be about the same as any Heresy II. You might give them a whirl for your intended application. At $100, at the very least you've got a nice set of garage/patio/party speakers that will rip your head clean off.

M

• Like 1

above 80 Hz they should be about the same as any Heresy II. You might give them a whirl for your intended application. At $100, at the very least you've got a nice set of garage/patio/party speakers that will rip your head clean off.

M

Ha. My sub already crosses over at 80Hz, so I'm set there. I guess I can go full speed ahead with refinishing (probably walnut veneer - real wood) so my wife will let them into the house. [;)]

The only other tweak I might do is swap out the tweeter diaphragms with some of Bob's titanium jobbers. Love 'em on my H-IIs.

-D

how are you going to do the radius corners?

I've been mulling over that very question...I was considering building frames around the corners, lining them with waxed paper, filling the voids with bondo then sanding flush. I'll need one frame for the top and bottom and one for the front and rear (or sides). Not exactly elegant, but it should hopefully work.

-D

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Bump for Bob. I looked up my photo files but looks like I did not photograph the interior of the HP-1 speaker. Have sent you more schematics from the series, it's all I had. My guess is that your customer's HP-2 must surely have the round jack cup and therefore the tinkertoy network parts but I have no schematic. Let's match up the components with one of those other Heresy-pro lineups and go from there?