HP-1 to KP201

colterphoto1

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

This old thread is a gem for new KP 201 owners or any others trying to sort out what their KP 201 is.

it's a Heresy II  , you can upgrade it to a Heresy III , with a kit sold by Klipsch , roughly  290$ per speaker , and you can resell your old parts , Tweeter , midranger , woofe , crossover for close to the same expense

On 4/10/2022 at 4:21 PM, RandyH said:

it's a Heresy II  , you can upgrade it to a Heresy III , with a kit sold by Klipsch , roughly  290$ per speaker , and you can resell your old parts , Tweeter , midranger , woofe , crossover for close to the same expense

I have my eyes on a pair of KP250s close by me, would the H3 upgrade work in these too or is the enclosure too different?  Assuming my wife hates the KP250 enclosure, has anyone moved the components to a custom box?

1 hour ago, M.Att said:

I have my eyes on a pair of KP250s close by me, would the H3 upgrade work in these too or is the enclosure too different?  Assuming my wife hates the KP250 enclosure, has anyone moved the components to a custom box?

the HIII Kit  will work in any Heresy II / KP-201 / KP 250  even if the terminal cup is round by cutting the opening into a rectangle ,  the HII -HIII -KP-250 enclosures  are identical except for the 2 ports at the top left and right for the KP-250  , these ports  can be sealed if you wanted to  .

the KP 250 enclosure is made of Fir plywod (MDF motorboard) which can be sanded and finished with a veneer , some KP-250 are not painted black and have a  Fir wood finish on all the panels -

Thanks, Randy,

Do they benefit from LPads?  Are there any published Frequency Response graphs?  I'll check the impedance thread for these too.  (I have trouble not tinkering)

The ones I'm looking at are rat-fur 2500, I bet it'll take a lot of sanding to get that off. 🙂

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/d/owings-mills-klipsch-heresy-speakers/7472393651.html

Edited by M.Att
Doubled Text

M.Att…I have a pair of rat fur 2500s, too. Spend some time listening before you consider altering them.

H3 components are either a side grade or a step down.  If available, they probably won’t come cheap.

Both your tweeter and squawker have titanium diaphragms from the factory and the woofer will be some variation of a K42 that ClaudeJ recommends for Super Heresies.

if you decide to go for mods, consider the crossovers and an Lpad.  I’ve read elsewhere in the forums that the various incarnations of the KP-250 respond well to reducing the gain to the tweeters at the transformer tap helps.  Some have done the same to the squawker. That will cost you some sensitivity, but could result in more balanced sound. I plan to keep all the circuit protection features intact in case I feel the need to go to 11.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:37 AM, M.Att said:

The ones I'm looking at are rat-fur 2500, I bet it'll take a lot of sanding to get that off. 🙂

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/d/owings-mills-klipsch-heresy-speakers/7472393651.html

if you remove the rat fur , you'll see that these cabinets   are made from a very dense OSB type  ,and with 0 effect to the sound.  these should sound just as good as KP 250 II speakers . by the way the specs shown in the ad are wrong /65Hz versus 70 , if you block the 2 upper LR ports , you can also increase the bass .

00r0r_fpJ8Ju0lrSa_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

11 minutes ago, RandyH said:

if you remove the rat fur , you'll see that these cabinets   are made from a very dense OSB type  ,  and with 0 effect to the sound , these should sound just as good as KP 250 II speakers .

Awesome, I can work with that, thank you for sharing that photo.

11 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

M.Att…I have a pair of rat fur 2500s, too. Spend some time listening before you consider altering them.

H3 components are either a side grade or a step down.  If available, they probably won’t come cheap.

Both your tweeter and squawker have titanium diaphragms from the factory and the woofer will be some variation of a K42 that ClaudeJ recommends for Super Heresies.

if you decide to go for mods, consider the crossovers and an Lpad.  I’ve read elsewhere in the forums that the various incarnations of the KP-250 respond well to reducing the gain to the tweeters at the transformer tap helps.  Some have done the same to the squawker. That will cost you some sensitivity, but could result in more balanced sound. I plan to keep all the circuit protection features intact in case I feel the need to go to 11.

Hi Outrider,

Thank you for that, if I decide to purchase them I will test with REW and DATS and figure out something.  I need to become more familiar with autotransformers too.  I priced out capacitors and if I don't need inductors I can spend a little more per cap.

12 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

The original 250's do not have Titanium drivers and the tweeters are dialed way back as part of the protection circuitry. The mids are very forward if I were to add an L-pad it would be on the mid driver and yes it will cost a bit of sensitivity but not a whole lot.  The 250's are PA speakers and design to project voices very loud and that is what they do best low bass is non existent so a sub will likely be needed if running these in 2 channel.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:44 PM, M.Att said:

DO NOT do that upgrade if even possible. The KP-250 uses the far superior K-42 woofer and you would lose that. Looking through my notes today and I can't find the KP-250 specs but if memory serves me well they have better sensitivity and also have 200 watts output and not 100 watts like the Heresy's. The crossovers are also different and the KP-250's have tweeter overload protection.

There is no reason you can't build a new box for these if WAF is a problem. If you use 3/4" fir plywood you will duplicate the original material and maybe sound a bit better with the elimination of the space hogging handles. I would have to think those handles might resonate a bit too though no idea since I have never had with handles and no handles side by side to compare.

14 hours ago, M.Att said:

Awesome, I can work with that, thank you for sharing that photo.

the speakers look in mint shape , I would not expect you to have to do anything on these speakers  , unless the capacitors shows very high ESR  .

the user stated to have upgraded to  TI diaphragms which per say are clones rated  100w which is a downgrade ,  the klipsch titanium original diaphragms are rated at 250 watts  ..

jjptkd - 2500C and the original KP-250 don’t use the same components. The set M.Att is looking at in Baltimore are 2500Cs.

The 2500C spec sheet says: K53K mids and K79K tweets.  K42K woofer as Dave noted above.

The Heresy II spec sheet says: K53K mids and K79K tweets.  K24K woofer.  (Heresy II used here based on information that an earlier post that implied a Heresy II is the same as a KP-2500.)  

The KP-201 is close to a Heresy II.  The KP-250 and the KP-2500C are both ported and have heavy duty woofers.  Crossovers seem to vary across the range of speakers from classic networks mounted on wood to more recent versions with plastic structures.

I’ll update with 250 original specs when I find them.  Unfortunately, I can’t use mine for a reference.  I got them cheap off CL, in part because they had JBL woofers.

While I’m pretty sure I saw a reference to factory titanium diagrams in the 2500C, the source wasn’t Klipsch literature.  My guess now is “not.”

If you’re interested in 2500 squawker mods, look here:  

On 4/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, jjptkd said:

The original 250's do not have Titanium drivers and the tweeters are dialed way back as part of the protection circuitry. The mids are very forward if I were to add an L-pad it would be on the mid driver and yes it will cost a bit of sensitivity but not a whole lot.  The 250's are PA speakers and design to project voices very loud and that is what they do best low bass is non existent so a sub will likely be needed if running these in 2 channel.  

Thanks, a 16-ohm LPad is only a few bucks and easy enough to put inline with a wire splice, I can try that.  They are so efficient I really don't mind giving up a few DB in the voice if it helps the balance.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, Outrider 6 said:

If you’re interested in 2500 squawker mods, look here:  

Excellent piece.  I'd considered dynamat on the horns too.    Before I dig into the enclosure I do have three questions for everyone.

These are the first speakers I've had with metal screwed in grills, I removed the screws and the grills stayed in place.  I don't want to mar them (they are pristine even after ~17 years!), so how do I safely remove them?

Question 2:  Does the autotransformer have different taps to change the attenuation?  That would be my preferred route before splicing in a couple LPads.

3:  Has anyone measured the effects of including ~7.5" port tubes to the output?  3A:  OK, that's really 4, measured the difference between the Crite's diaphragm and the stock ones?  (The previous owner gave me both)

Thanks!

Edited by M.Att
more questions to ask!

On 4/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, Outrider 6 said:

"jjptkd - 2500C and the original KP-250 don’t use the same components. The set M.Att is looking at in Baltimore are 2500Cs."

From what I can tell they actually do only the cabinets are different.

"The 2500C spec sheet says: K53K mids and K79K tweets.  K42K woofer as Dave noted above."

Those are the same components as the HIP-2 and original KP-250

"The H2 spec sheet says: K53K mids and K79K tweets.  K24K woofer"

The Heresy II uses the k-76 tweeter

"I’ll update with 250 original specs when I find them." 

A lot of this was just gone over in another thread recently:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M.Att said:

"These are the first speakers I've had with metal screwed in grills, I removed the screws and the grills stayed in place.  I don't want to mar them (they are pristine even after ~17 years!), so how do I safely remove them?"

Sometimes they get wedged into place I usually just take one of the screws and stick it into one of the metal holes in grill and use the threads as a catch to pull on the grill try multiple places along the edge and corners.

12 minutes ago, M.Att said:

Question 2:  Does the autotransformer have different taps to change the attenuation?  That would be my preferred route before splicing in a couple LPads.

If you change taps (if possible on those crossovers) you'll have to change the capacitor values to correspond with the changes might be a lot simpler and cheaper to just use L-pads or else consider changing to a completely different crossover design.