La Scala II's In The House!

jdm56

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, I sold my La Scalas a while back and haven't looked back. What was that bass lady commercial they used to play in the 80's? Oh yea... "Where's the BASS!!??"

The bass is there, down to about 100 Hz. Then you're supposed to use a subwoofer. In my case, I used an MWM for about 6 months, then sold them too. I got 3 separate horns to replace each LaScala to raise efficiency by 4-5 db, lower distortion by about 3X, and went from using 1/4 watt to about 0.1 watts. LaScalas need a good sub and it's worth it because it images better than a Khorn.

For what it's worth, I bought a pair of LS II's from Vanns last November. They are Black "mis-matched" wood grain. They are labeled "B" stock because of the wood grain mis-match. Can't beat the $, and because of the black ash, I really can not see any problems with the wood grain. I replaced a set of Forte II's with the LS II's and never looked back. (Moved my Forte's as back surrounds) As far as the bass, I am running a pair of RSW-12's next to each LS.

I almost got a black pair from Vann's, but somebody beat me to the punch. In fact, I was getting real close to "pulling the trigger" on them, as they say, when suddenly, "poof!", they weren't there anymore! ..."He who hesitates is lost!" So then I had to wait until they had a pair of one finish or another available again. I think it was a few weeks maybe, before they had three walnut LSII's. So I didn't wait too long to pounce that time! And I'm glad, because I really like the walnut in my room as the color is a good match with the color of our oak and pine trim.

I do wonder how these "non grain-matched" La Scala II's keep coming to be. I know they have been showing up on Vann's web site for over a year at least. I wonder, "what's the rrrrrr-est of the story?"

Same thing happened to me last November, Vanns had a pair of walnut mis-matched but I keep waiting when I was ready they only had one left [:^)] they had 3 black ones so I just ordered black (matched my center and subs anyway) I didn't want to wait any longer in case they never had them at that $ again. I do wonder why or how Vanns continues to have that mis-matched deal.

Have you posted any pictures of yours? If not, I'd love to see some!

Also, how do you like those subs? Do they keep up OK?

When I ordered my pair, I assumed the veneer mis-match would be between the left and the right speaker. I also assumed that maybe Klipsch builds LSII's as matched pairs but sells them individually, which would result in orphaned singles if someone bought an odd number, say five, for home theater. Apparently both assumptions are wrong. My mismatch was top section to bottom section. Is that how yours are, or can you even see the mismatch with the black ash?

Hi,

I had '89 La Scala's that were replaced by 1980 Klipschorns. The Klipschorns are now out the door as well I think I'm done with the Klipsch brand. Ever since I bought some AR speakers I started realizing how much coloration these horns actually produce. And I don't like it... I guess ignorance was bliss... for a while.

At 100Hz I don't even consider the La Scala's full range speaker. The are mostly lower freq midrangey sounding. I never used mine with a sub. I just sold them and bought Khorns instead. That Khorns solved the bass problem. Yes, La Scala's will image better than Khorns. Typically, the smaller the speaker, the better the imaging. Also, the La Scala's benefit from the placement issues that the Khorns have. They don't need to be plopped into corner. So their imaging factor benefits from that as well. I've come to beleive that horn speakers in general have a really hard time imaging because of their inherent design. The horns are just too directional for them to image well. With my Khorns, I do get some decent imaging at times, but that seems to depend on the CD/LP being played..

Hi,

I had '89 La Scala's that were replaced by 1980 Klipschorns. The Klipschorns are now out the door as well I think I'm done with the Klipsch brand. Ever since I bought some AR speakers I started realizing how much coloration these horns actually produce. And I don't like it... I guess ignorance was bliss... for a while.

This kinda makes me laugh. I guess you won't be hanging around here anymore if you think the ARs sound better than the Klipsch and you've gotten rid of them.

With my Khorns, I do get some decent imaging at times, but that seems to depend on the CD/LP being played..

I am not sure if he has KHorns and AR or just AR right now.

If he prefers the AR over La Scalas and KHorns nothing wrong with that everyone has a certain sound they like with speakers.

Hi,

Not everyone loves The Beatles either!

At 100Hz I don't even consider the La Scala's full range speaker. The are mostly lower freq midrangey sounding. I never used mine with a sub. I just sold them and bought Khorns instead. That Khorns solved the bass problem. Yes, La Scala's will image better than Khorns. Typically, the smaller the speaker, the better the imaging. Also, the La Scala's benefit from the placement issues that the Khorns have. They don't need to be plopped into corner. So their imaging factor benefits from that as well. I've come to beleive that horn speakers in general have a really hard time imaging because of their inherent design. The horns are just too directional for them to image well. With my Khorns, I do get some decent imaging at times, but that seems to depend on the CD/LP being played..

Boy you said a mouthfull there my friend, I don't know how long you had your k-horns. but as it goes the better the source put into them the better the result coming out. That is why as you said depending on which cd/Lp you are listening to determines how they sound. You must consider the source before making broad statements like that.

Jay

This kinda makes me laugh. I guess you won't be hanging around here anymore if you think the ARs sound better than the Klipsch and you've gotten rid of them.

I still own and use Khorns every other day. Was listening to them last night. Over the last 15+ years I've climbed the Klipsch ladder from 4.2's to Cornwalls to La Scalas to Khorns. I didn't and don't really have a lot of experience with other speaker brands. Early this year I started dabbling with some different speaker designs to see what was out there. I'd read a lot about the AR speakers and started trying them out in my system. The AR4x's are like $50/pr and very small so it wasn't a huge monetary investment. It was then that I finally started realizing what people meant by horn coloration. Horn coloration is phrase a lot of people will read and have no idea what it really even means. You need to audibly experience it for yourself to truly understand. It's really strange because I've always thought I would take the Khorns to my grave. Frankly, the thought of selling them, and my reasons for doing so, has been a hard thing mentally to come to grips with. I'm just saying to anyone looking at purchasing speakers would be doing themselves a disservice to not try some of the sealed box designs like old KEF, Advent, AR, etc. Especially if you listen to hard rock/rock music. I've come to MY conclusion that Klipsch speakers are meant to be listened to Classical/Jazz music at low to moderatly low volumes. All IMHO. YMMV [:D]

Boy you said a mouthfull there my friend, I don't know how long you had your k-horns. but as it goes the better the source put into them the better the result coming out. That is why as you said depending on which cd/Lp you are listening to determines how they sound. You must consider the source before making broad statements like that.

I've owned my Khorns for 4+ years now and I still own them.

Yes! Garbage in, Garbage out. (especially with Klipsch, very sensitive to this kind of stuff) I guess my comments were based on how the music is recorded/mixed/mastered etc. Some of it is done much better and will therefore sound and image better regardless of the speaker.

I am not sure if he has KHorns and AR or just AR right now.

If he prefers the AR over La Scalas and KHorns nothing wrong with that everyone has a certain sound they like with speakers.

I currenlty own Khorns, Tannoys & a 4 pairs of AR's. All powered with Mac tube/SS gear depending on speakers required load. It's when you throw all these different types of speakers together in one listening room you can really hear the differences. Switching between them is very interesting stuff. All the speakers present the music very differently. It all comes down to personal preference and there's nothing wrong with liking Klipsch speakers. I've owned a pair for 15+ years now. [:)]

Both.JPG

I agree with you about "horn coloration" with horn speakers that is what I like about them. Every speaker has some kind of coloration to them. It just depends on what type of coloration one likes best.

I was going into Central Market and they had a Jazz band on the patio with a Trumpet player doing a solo and I had to stop and go listen cause it sounded so good!! I walked over and was about 20 feet back and the trumpet player was using a pair of Heresy size speakers with a 12 inch woofer and a single midrange horn. It sounded outstanding!!

That is why I like horn speakers makes me feel like I am there. They can be a pain in the *** to get right but when I do it sounds outstanding!