Change of plans

Youthman

• Moderators

Hi Gambitx. Welcome to the forums!

My father in law is a custom home builder so Im sure we could take it off your hands.

I'll send you a PM. Would love to talk to you about it.

How do you like the Emotiva? I'm looking at getting one of their amps myself down the road once we get settled and can devote some funds to the HT.

Michael

Well first - gratz on the deal, it sounds exciting and is an adventure for sure.

We lived over by Wendells and then in Walden Lakes for a good while before moving to Tampa. I like PC, but am sure it's grown.

Regarding the closet idea, it should be pretty easy, especially if there are plugs on the opposite side of the wall. You could attack from the back and attach on. Might think a bit to just be sure all the gear you wind up with doesn't overlad that circuit. Probably won't.

Some people would try to run a dedicated line that they could put a filter/breaker on. That's a nice way if you can pull the lines. Probably pretty easy if you have attic access. If your builder still has some trade guys around, they may run the outlets ultra fast for you. You can always approach them direct and they might do it for 50 bucks. Otherwise you probably just need to snake a wire from an existing outlet. It's not that hard. I'd actually put at least a low and high outlet in the closet or you will possibly end up with a lot of power cord spaghetti.

If the outlet you are tying onto is wired 3 way, or say to control a light, things can get a little bit ... stranger. Usually those outlets will have one side always hot and the other switched. Just hook onto the hot side.

I'm not an electrician so On Guard! But what your after is pretty easy I'd think.

Hey another thought -

I'd try to get a water softener loop if you don't have one. It will just be a loop of pipe sticking out of the wall probably in the garage that you can tap into to install a softener. The ones I've had done are usually about 75 bucks. Not sure if all the drywall is done, and you may have it already. Just saves hacking up the wall if you decide to soften down the road.

Often next to the water heater (if its not in the attic) and requires a nearby outlet!

Treating the outdoor faucets may be an option. Avoid it if possible, but if you like soft water I'd choose all soft over no soft. It will make a big difference if you never have had it.

And if you have a pool, it's about the only way to drop calcium other than pumping water out and new water in. A hassel but waters not cheap anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I'd try to get a water softener loop if you don't have one.

We went by the house today and it does have a water softener loop in the garage. That's good to know. I took some photos of the house. It's coming along nicely. They installed the countertops and lighting fixtures this week. They still have to put down the hardwood in the living room, dining room and office, carpet in the bedrooms, bath tub, stone on the outside front and appliances. The realtor told me that things will move pretty fast this week since they are in final stages of completion. We're getting totally excited to move into our first home. God is so good!

Photo Gallery

P.S. There are two huge homes that you will see in the gallery that I took from our lanai in the back yard. The home on the right side is 14,000 square feet! I'm hoping to become good friends with our neighbors. LOL.

Michael

Youthman, very nice & first home too. I'm happy for you. Closing date is approaching rapidly. I would suggest, if not completed at closing, you have some seller monies escrowed to cover it. No offense to any contractors on the forum.

Regardless congrats!

• Moderators

Thx Arky. My wife and I have been married for 11 years, and have four children and have never owned our own home. We have worked hard to get to this point and have paid off almost all of our debt (thanks to Dave Ramsey).

I would suggest, if not completed at closing, you have some seller monies escrowed to cover it. No offense to any contractors on the forum.

We have to close by the 30th in order to qualify for the AmeriDream program. The program has helped us overcome the one thing that was preventing us from building our own home on our own land...the huge 10% - 20% downpayment.

Nice looking area - man those things are big!

We went by the house today and it does have a water softener loop in the garage. That's good to know.

When you get ready to buy a softener, based on my research the looking stops here - http://www.watervalue.com/fleck_7000.html.

There's a guy down in Riverview I think that sells these. I installed two and love them. Holler if you need an addy someday. Best of luck on the move and don't let them pressure you to sign off on punch list stuff at closing.

Yes, you will get a warranty, but you will get much better response (and be dealing with the contractor rather than subs/installers/etc), and time to find the things needing repair by living there a bit. Don't let them pressure you! Take your time and this will sound stupid, but test everything. Outlets, faucets, hot water vs cold, spray windows and doors with hose pop and reset breakers. Ask them to just leave you alone there for a few hours if it works out that way and take your time, even better if you can just say we'll get you a punch list 2 weeks after we move in so we can only generate one list.

Your realtor KNOWS how to accomidate that and it's zero dollars so they should help protect you. Keep in mind, your realtor is legally probably representing the seller. You need to ask for some of this.

Also, re the punch list, it's quite hard to see glaring defects in drywall when they put that thin white paint on there. When you goto paint you will see everything. Get a ladder and flashlight and look around each wall up close. I use chalk and mark what I want fixed.

The subs probably won't mind coming out to fix things for you once, try to get the list right the first time. Repeated visits start to irritate them, they are wasting time after all.

Do I sound AR????? It's a job to many folks, but it's a home to you! Heh.

• Moderators

Thanks again for the great advice regarding punch list. I believe their plan is to do the walkthrough and orientation on closing day since they are trying to close 1 month ahead of schedule to have it completed by the Sept 30th. It is my understanding that they will fix stuff while we are there (if they can be fixed at that time).

I found some new theater chairs (floor model) that they are trying to get rid of to make room for new models. They are $650.00 new for 3 chairs. Seems like a great price to me. I called and they had already sold them. I encouraged them to remove the listing since it seems a lot to me like "bait and switch". [:(]

Plumber was there yesterday installing sinks, tubs and commodes. I texted my wife yesterday to tell her that. I didn't read before I sent it. She calls me back with a worried tone in her voice. Here is what I texted her, "Went by the house today. They were installing tub pink and commode." She thought they installed a pink tub. I was trying to type sink, but auto text thought I wanted to say pink. LOL. It was pretty funny.

If anyone has any suggestions, I need some help in this thread with speaker placement.

I believe their plan is to do the walkthrough and orientation on closing day since they are trying to close 1 month ahead of schedule to have it completed by the Sept 30th. It is my understanding that they will fix stuff while we are there

The walkthru is normal. That's to make sure there are not glaring issues basis what you think you bought. I don't think they can fix much at that since the subs probably won't be there. Also, that would be called high pressure. I would not agree to that. Do the walkthru as they want, but before hand I'd tell them that's all fine, but I will need a 7 days after closing to generate a punchlist and I want the GC to coordinate repairs. If they say you have a warranty that is not the same thing.

Once you sign off on that puchlist things change. At least that's been my experience.

I would not close before the house is ready for occupation.

Again be careful what you sign off on. Dealing with subs without the general contractor can test your patience / fortitude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just thought I would give everyone an update. My family and I are thoroughly enjoying our new (and first) home! Closing took a few hours longer than expected but we closed on the 30th, and began moving on Oct 1st. We took the week off from work to get moved and situated. Next week, I have an ex-professional painter friend that is going to paint my theater room. Ceiling will be black, the walls will be posh red (see attached image). I will be hanging curtains in the theater room over the glass doors tomorrow. All the major work is done, and the house is in order. This week was anything but a vacation. Most days, I worked from 6am till 1am moving, installing ceiling fans, blinds etc. Today is the first day I can sit back and actually begin enjoying it. :)

post-27215-13819418394554_thumb.jpg

First up, congratulations. With a new home, we are all commanded to be hospitible. And I'm sure you will be that and probably more. Now the real work and fun begins. GPS your nearest HD,Lowes, and Ace Hardware, you will need to know the most efficient route to them. Be careful, they may drain you of all your funds. Tip for a family with kids, erasable markers, clear beverages only, and a handy dustbuster. Enjoy your new home.

Bill

• Moderators

We moved to the other side of town. Good thing is Lowes is about 2 miles away and I have made numerous trips already getting blinds cut, buying and installing ceiling fans and lots of other items. I hardly ever have gone into Lowes, Home Depot etc until now. I can easily see how they can quickly deplete our funds. LOL. I bought some grout sealer and did that yesterday. Hope that will help with the spills. Tips are much appreciated, especially since we have 4 children (9, 7, 5 and 2).